Will "Shark Shield" become popular in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

If I were frequently diving in murky seal infested waters with great whites, I'd consider buying one just in case as the risk of a shark attack would take on a greater degree of relevance to me personally.

Yea, like Moneterey on a bad vis day.

Is a charging Great White really gonna stop or turn on a dime if it get's a little shock (so to speak)?:confused:

I think this unit has a place for high risk scuba activites such as spear fishing. I have several buddies that are avid underwater hunters in wouthern Florida and have heard several stories about underwater tug of war with sharks over a fish. And the Bulls in FL are not to be messed with. One guy had most of his bicep taken off two years ago when a Bull tried to grab the grouper he was carrying football style up to the boat.

I think if I ever do take up spearfishing, that would be one time I might consider this device, or one like it.

JAG

Having just discovered your web site I would like to respond on behalf of our company as I was inspired not only by the interest in our product, but concern and respect for sharks.

The electrical wave generated by Shark Shield causes discomfort to sharks only while they are in the field. Other marine creatures are not affected which our General Manager can attest to when recently fending off a Groper from trying to take one of her lobsters from her catch bag.

We believe this breakthrough in technology will have a dramatic affect on participation levels on all aspects of water sports

Earlier this year we undertook a survey in Sydney Australia with a view to understanding peoples attitudes and fears with regards to water activities, sharks and deterrent technology.
This survey showed that 85% of scuba divers would consider purchasing a shark repellent because the primal fear of sharks is so entrenched.

Over 82% stated that the “peace of mind” factor added a new dimension to diving.
91% stated that Shark repellent technology was a great idea. 82% of people stated that they would take up more water sports if a shark deterrent were available.

When Shark Shield was first launched there were many sceptics who for years and years had dived, surfed, spear fished without any shark protection. They questioned the need for such a device. But then, some of these seasoned water sports enthusiasts bought the product and gave it a go. This has had a domino effect and more and more people are now using the product. The feedback from all these people is that they now won't go in the water without their Shark Shield, as it gives them and their family peace of mind.

Police, search and rescue, professional and scientific divers, Australian and the US Military are a few of the impressive organisations now using this technology. They obviously believe there is a need for the product. This was further hi-lighted on the 11th April 2003, following an inquest into the death of a commercial diver who was using the South African Shark POD when he was fatally attacked by a Great White Shark. The South Australian State Coroner, after hearing all the evidence (please note everything reported in the Press is not necessarily correct), concluded that the POD was not being used correctly at the time. He also recommended:

“Pursuant to Section 25(2) of the Coroners Act, I recommend that commercial and recreational divers, when operating in waters where there is a risk of the presence of sharks, should wear a shark repellent device of the Shark “POD” or Shark Shield type, provided that the equipment should be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and should be turned on for the entire duration of time in the water.”

The unique electronic wave-form, which is the basis of the technology was developed in the early 90’s and since then has been thoroughly tested in Australia and Sth.Africa under the worst possible conditions using blood and offal predominately with Great Whites. This testing has proven conclusively that sharks detest the effect the field has on them and will keep a safe distance between themselves and the Shark Shield TM

We completely understand the scepticism surrounding what is considered by some as relatively new technology and we would like the opportunity to answer any questions you may have in order for us to help you understand our product. Our e-mail is info@sharkshield.com

Please visit our web site at www.sharkshield.com for product information, frequently asked questions, and testimonials.

Bill Hosszu
Business Development Manager
SeaChange Technology Pty. Ltd.

The South Australian State Coroner, .... also recommended:

“Pursuant to Section 25(2) of the Coroners Act, I recommend that commercial and recreational divers, when operating in waters where there is a risk of the presence of sharks, should wear a shark repellent device of the Shark “POD” or Shark Shield type, provided that the equipment should be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and should be turned on for the entire duration of time in the water.”
I generally don't take diving advice from political appointees.

"Shark repellant" has been vaporware for years. I'm not ready to take the word of someone selling it at face value just yet.

Count me among the skeptics.

the sharkman:
we have more of a chance of being shot by some gang-banger, than by a shark bite

I don't think that's a valid statistic, as it applies to the general population, and not to people who spend a lot of time around sharks. If you think you can make the case that a diver has a greater chance of being shot by a gang banger than bitten by a shark while diving, that might be relevant.

Dear Sir, in reply to your question;
What effect will all of these electric fields have on a divers compass?
There is no effect on a divers compass.
In regards to sharks learning to associate the fields with spearfishing, the electical wave that is emitted from the unit has such a strong effect on the sharks Ampullae that all they want to do is leave the area.

This seems like a sensible post. For one thing, only a Californian would assume that the problem is solely with White Sharks. Large bull sharks are extremely dangerous. I lost a fin to a bull shark and have been bumped by grey sharks (spearfishing). Only my quick reaction and the fact that I was wearing a nylon skin prevented a frontal assault by a wolf pack of greys. We feinted and bluffed for the entire 100 yds back to the boat. I have been charged repeatedly by bull sharks and had to shoot one animal with my speargun. I shot a black tip through the head when he attacked. I was spearfishing but had killed nothing. I was also wearing a SCUBA, rare for me. My friends in Hawaii are very cautious around Tiger sharks. One of these fellows showed to me a severely chewed up wood gun which he had jabbed at a tiger. I dread seeing a big tiger while hunting and I can tell you from my experiences flying over the keys and Bahamas that 18 foot monsters are far more common than most would expect. These creatures, sharks, are nothing to joke about. If there were a protective device which was compact and reasonably priced I would consider it favorably. One final comment. There is nothing 'mild' about an exploratory bite unless amputation has been redefined. I have, once, seen a 'mild' shark bite off VA Beach. A wreck diver was bitten on the hand by a small sand shark which was trying to steal a tautog from the diver.

DA Aquamaster:
I think it is probaly a lot like carrying a handgun for self defense...very politically incorrect, difficult to justify and something you don't need at all....until you need it REAL bad.

It is apparently ok to carry extra or redundant equipment to guard against really long odds mechanical failures when scuba diving, but not ok to guard against top of the food chain predators like bull sharks, tiger sharks and great whites....sort of an act against nature kinda thing maybe?

Personally I think that if you accept that most shark attacks against humans are either mild exploratory bites driven by curiosity (can I eat it?) or cases of being mistaken for natural prey (seals, etc) then a shark pod seems like a really good idea as it may clue the shark into their mistake before they take your leg off making it.

Back
Top Bottom