Will cutting my hair make a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skittles, I've let mine grow to a ridiculous length, with no bangs or even layers. I find this the easiest to care for and keep hair from being a problem with my mask. Yes, I still have to ensure no little wispies get under the skirt, but with my hair back in a high pony, I've rarely got much trouble. Bangs and layers, they were always the biggest problem. After the dives, I spray it with this cool leave in conditioner before I ever try to comb it out. Short hair? Not me . . . might get it shoulder length again, but for now I'm kind of into those side braids when not in the water (needs some length for that)

Long or short, get yourself a neoprene mask strap cover!

Last edited:
skittles, I've let mine grow to a ridiculous length, with no bangs or even layers. I find this the easiest to care for and keep hair from being a problem with my mask. Yes, I still have to ensure no little wispies get under the skirt, but with my hair back in a high pony, I've rarely got much trouble. Bangs and layers, they were always the biggest problem. After the dives, I spray it with this cool leave in conditioner before I ever try to comb it out. Short hair? Not me . . . might get it shoulder length again, but for now I'm kind of into those side braids when not in the water (needs some length for that)

Long or short, get yourself a neoprene mask strap cover!

I like my long and braided for diving. Easy to take care of and its out of the way. Wearing a hood helps but I dive colder water.

What kind of leave in conditioner do you use?

Ladyfishdvr, it's the Healthy Sexy Hair product Soy Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditioner. Wonderful stuff. I use it far more when diving than at any other time.

I have long fairly thick multi layered hair. I braid it at the beginning of the day and then use a small amount of watered down biodegradable conditioner. When on trips, I'll dive from 2-5 dives in a day. I use a Scuba Do Rag to cover my hair every time. I leave it on until I get in the shower. There's usually conditioner still in it and rinses out pretty well. If it seem tangled, I'll add a little more conditioner in the shower and rinse again. I don't wash my hair every day either when on dive vacations. Usually every third day. I find my hair is in better condition at the end of the trip then before.

. . . mom is going thru chemo right now. . .
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she gets better soon.

with long hair it's less how long it is overall but how long your bangs are that tends to matter -- mine used to get caught under the mask all the time when i had long hair - but now i keep it more of a crew cut so it's a moot point with me except for beard stubble causing leak points.
I have a similar problem, and no one's ever accused me of having long hair. I don't really have bangs, either . . . but apparently they're just long enough. And in an ironic twist, my hair's short enough that no one thought that it might be the problem. It wasn't until my check-out dives that anyone figured out why my mask kept flooding on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom