Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm not in an area with identified "community spread", self-quarantine is a good point that I should have recognized. Thanks for pointing it out. I don't know that I can completely quarantine myself - I'll have to check what options are available for things like grocery delivery, and I think those exist - but I can certainly keep my membership at the community pool on hiatus and avoid restaurants. Which, in a way, is sad. I was planning to dine out *more* to try to support the local economy that's going to be *crushed*. My wife says the people there talk about this like a hurricane hit. The difference is that, a few days after the hurricane passes, everyone is working again. This is going to be months (possibly many months) and there's nothing to replacing the lost tourist jobs.

There will no doubt be many scenarios that no one had considered in the past. We'll each have to make some tough decisions.
It's going to be tough for all of us for a while, that's for sure. Safe travels to you.

So Tuesday drive around, MSC ship rolled in today to Punta Lagosta and down town was a little busy. Still Taxis sitting everywhere, Heard La Mission restaurant is closing for awhile and saw a sign on Crazy King Burrito “ take out only”.
Grocery stores are well stocked but a few things like sanitizing wipes and hand gel are not around.
Looks like the cruise ship stores are shuttering up for the long haul.
East side was very quite, we had the north end of San Martin to ourselves from 8:30 - 10:30 from then till noon only one couple doing yoga for 30 minutes. We left at 1:00 and there were 4 people pulling in the parking lot as we left.
The really busy part of town was in the neighborhoods, with kids out of school and parents everywhere.
There are still lots of restaurants and bars open but also lots of talk of shorter hours.

LOTS of factors in this calculation. COVID-19, tourism, asylum seekers at the border, maquiladora operations with some employees crossing the border daily - I see too many variables and not enough equations for anyone to even begin to offer a guess. Plus, AMLO and the Mexican administration are still holding mass rallies and will only stop, "when the time is right".

Something is up.

I was scheduled for a trip to Cozumel 01-08 April. I had decided to cancel the trip but hadn't yet started the cancellation process. Originally, I was flying United with a connection in Houston. I just received a schedule update email that my flight to Houston had changed and the new flight landed after my flight to Cozumel was scheduled to take off. Interesting... So I checked flights from Houston to Cozumel and there are currently no available United flights from Houston to Cozumel on 01 April... or 02 April or 31 March.

I went ahead and canceled the flights via the United webpage. It processed without any delay.

Something is up.

I was scheduled for a trip to Cozumel 01-08 April. I had decided to cancel the trip but hadn't yet started the cancellation process. Originally, I was flying United with a connection in Houston. I just received a schedule update email that my flight to Houston had changed and the new flight landed after my flight to Cozumel was scheduled to take off. Interesting... So I checked flights from Houston to Cozumel and there are currently no available United flights from Houston to Cozumel on 01 April... or 02 April or 31 March.

I went ahead and canceled the flights via the United webpage. It processed without any delay.

Likely the reason... United, Delta, and JetBlue announced flight cuts today: Coronavirus travel fallout: Delta, United, JetBlue slash more flights

Same for us. Great article laid out on View from the Wing about where United is still flying in April. Cut routes 60% for April. Still flying to Cancun.

United Has Cut So Much Flying It's Easier To List The Flights They Run Than Those They Don't - View from the Wing

Reading through the thread I think an important distinction in the conversation about where Covid-19 is and isn't is the amount (or lack) of testing that is taking place. I imagine as testing ramps up in the US.....hopefully really soon....then the infection rate will skyrocket as it has in other places. This doesn't necessarily mean it's getting worse (though it probably is a factor), just that we are identifying more folks with it. I have not heard how much testing has been taking place in Mexico, or Cozumel specifically, but if there has been little to minimal testing we can't say with any certainty that the virus isn't on the island or how widespread it is.... or isn't.

I was with two local doctors on Cozumel on Monday. They have no suspected cases as of that day. Tests have to be sent out but they have no suspected cases, much less confirmed. That doesn't mean there are none, only that there are none presented from what I can tell. We are leaving on Saturday. We have been very careful while here. I intended to stay until May. I have zero confidence that I would be able to leave by then due to flights being unavailable. It could have been great but now is the time to be grateful and look for ways we can help. I am best prepared to do that at home. Stay openminded and remember that love based decisions are always wiser than fear based decisions.

edit to correct
more specifically they have had some suspected cases in foreigners but all test came back negative.

Second day without cruise ships here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom