Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Cozumel with my 13 year old son, my wife is in Michigan - it'd sure be nice to have her here but we don't feel it's the responsible thing to do.........

I'd argue that family reunification (not just visiting the relatives) qualifies as essential travel. In the absence of a specific definition from the government, however, everyone has to make their own call. My wife is in Cozumel so that's part of my motivation for returning, but additionally, our visas are up for renewal. That process must be conducted in person (or at least while in country, even if using a facilitator -- one has to surrender their current visa card, which I have with me because I needed it to exit and then to re-enter the country). Failing to renew means we've lost two years of time and money toward obtaining permanent residency. So if Southwest is flying, I'm going.

I'd argue that family reunification (not just visiting the relatives) qualifies as essential travel.

Putting an unexposed isolated population at risk so you can visit family is essential?

Who knew.

BRB gotta go to the nearest ER for this hangnail I just noticed.

I wonder if the virus respects the difference between leisure travel and essential travel?

I wonder if the virus respects the difference between leisure travel and essential travel?

Viruses don't think. We do. That's our primary tactical advantage. If we do it effectively.

Putting an unexposed isolated population at risk so you can visit family is essential?

Who knew.

It would be more accurate to say that I'm currently visiting the United States (I've been here for about three weeks to take care of some medical and other issues). We rent an apartment in Cozumel year-round, so it's more like returning home. As I said before, "visiting the relatives" isn't essential, in my opinion. A stronger argument can be made for family reunification.

I know that @ChuckP, to whom I was responding, spends a lot of time here, but I'm not certain where he calls, "home".

Who knew.

He's not going to visit family, he's going home, at least to one of them, where his wife is, while he still can. What would you do?

Everything we are doing is working with probabilities. If I were he I would get myself to Cozumel as quickly as I could and self quarantine for a couple of weeks to make sure I'm not bringing it with me.

I'd probably go home too. But I would have left already.

It would be more accurate to say that I'm currently visiting the United States (I've been here for about three weeks to take care of some medical and other issues). We rent an apartment in Cozumel year-round, so it's more like returning home. As I said before, "visiting the relatives" isn't essential, in my opinion. A stronger argument can be made for family reunification.

I know that @ChuckP, to whom I was responding, spends a lot of time here, but I'm not certain where he calls, "home".

I own a home in Cozumel and live here full time - my wife was in the US dealing with her moms medical stuff....

Our residency cards are up also at the beginning of April - maybe probably you know Gretchen here, we've been in contact with her regarding the what happens rules - you have 55 days from the expiration date to return and five days from then to begin the process. We're in as a family but it seems like we can go thru the process seperately.... I know exactly how you feel about that whole process......

It is slightly different for residents, you're not just coming down on some getaway vacation but you can bring the problem here just as that vacationer can.... It's a tough spot right now, I love the peace and quite here but this is the worst time of year for it to happen - I just want it over as soon as possible.

Everything we are doing is working with probabilities. If I were he I would get myself to Cozumel as quickly as I could and self quarantine for a couple of weeks to make sure I'm not bringing it with me.
While I'm not in an area with identified "community spread", self-quarantine is a good point that I should have recognized. Thanks for pointing it out. I don't know that I can completely quarantine myself - I'll have to check what options are available for things like grocery delivery, and I think those exist - but I can certainly keep my membership at the community pool on hiatus and avoid restaurants. Which, in a way, is sad. I was planning to dine out *more* to try to support the local economy that's going to be *crushed*. My wife says the people there talk about this like a hurricane hit. The difference is that, a few days after the hurricane passes, everyone is working again. This is going to be months (possibly many months) and there's nothing to replacing the lost tourist jobs.

There will no doubt be many scenarios that no one had considered in the past. We'll each have to make some tough decisions.

Barcelo is closing resorts. I wasn't informed if its the Grand Occidental and or the Allegra....I’m thinking more so their resorts in Europe and the continent. I’ll try to find out more....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom