Will be buying new equipment soon. Suggestions appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC Fedorczyk

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been voraciously reading through these boards and have gotten a lot of good information so far. Many thanks to everyone that posts. I think I'm officially an addict and I don't even have my cert. yet.
Now for my questions about gear... My girlfriend and I will be taking OW classes starting next weekend and after completing the course we are going to buy our own gear. I've read all the suggestions about waiting and renting vs buying etc... I want to buy our gear because I want both of use to be comfortable using it and I want to know it works and that it is taken care of. I also think we will get more use out of it if we buy it. We'll wait to purchase everything until after the classes so that we have some idea of what we like/dislike.

We'll be doing warm water diving only and some quarry diving and would like to be able to transport everything with us.

So far doing research I've assembled a list of likes/dislikes.

BCD: I want something with a low pressure inflator (as opposed to high pressure which I've read those have leak problems sometimes), No squeeze, multiple dump valves, NO HUB system. We'll almost definitely go Jacket style so don't go preaching the BP/Wing setup.

Reg: Definitely want balanced, LDS serviceable, no wet breathing and probably going to stay away from Mares/Dacor due to the horror stories I've heard about parts supply.

Octo: I want something that has the ability to breath from any position and I definitely don't want any Air2 type setups. I don't mind the extra hoses. In my opinion it's better to keep everything doing single duty when it comes to life support.

Computer: Already decided to go with the Atmos 2 so that we can move into Nitrox if we so decide. Plus it's easy to use so the girlfriend doesn't feel overwhlemed with the technology.

So... all that being said can you folks suggest a setup (BCD, Octo, Reg, Gauges) that you would purchase if you had 1000$ total to spend on setups for 2 people. That cost doesn't include the computer so no worries there. I'd like to support my LDS but they've been doing some screwy things lately so I may move to a different LDS in the area. I'm just looking to narrow down my possibilities before I walk into the LDS. I've read through here, scubadiving, divers.net. magazines, books etc.

Thanks in advance!

seems we are in the same boat. I am in the market also but we are certified. I have been looking at scubatoys.com prices are better than LDS

Hi

We bought all of our gear from Scuba Toys. We saved about $800. If money is not an issue, than buy from your LDS...otherwise, buy from www.scubatoys.com. Call and speak to Larry. He will give you a great deal on 2 full sets of gear.

FYI We bought the Atmos 2. Great computer. We bought it in a console with the compass.

Karen

Am I the only one seeing something wrong in selling life support gear to non certs??

JC Fedorczyk:
We'll be doing warm water diving only and some quarry diving and would like to be able to transport everything with us.

BCD: I want something with a low pressure inflator (as opposed to high pressure which I've read those have leak problems sometimes), No squeeze, multiple dump valves, NO HUB system. We'll almost definitely go Jacket style so don't go preaching the BP/Wing setup.

Reg: Definitely want balanced, LDS serviceable, no wet breathing and probably going to stay away from Mares/Dacor due to the horror stories I've heard about parts supply.

Octo: I want something that has the ability to breath from any position and I definitely don't want any Air2 type setups. I don't mind the extra hoses. In my opinion it's better to keep everything doing single duty when it comes to life support.

Computer: Already decided to go with the Atmos 2 so that we can move into Nitrox if we so decide. Plus it's easy to use so the girlfriend doesn't feel overwhlemed with the technology.

So... all that being said can you folks suggest a setup (BCD, Octo, Reg, Gauges) that you would purchase if you had 1000$ total to spend on setups for 2 people. That cost doesn't include the computer so no worries there. I'd like to support my LDS but they've been doing some screwy things lately so I may move to a different LDS in the area. I'm just looking to narrow down my possibilities before I walk into the LDS. I've read through here, scubadiving, divers.net. magazines, books etc.

Thanks in advance!
First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of scuba. I recommend buying vs renting for a number of reasons and applaud that direction you are taking. As you have been reading the posts here you are undoubtably aware of the availability of gear on the internet. If nothing else, use e-bay and LeisurePro as a reality check when comparing prices with your LDS. Using the internet as a guide, what you want for $500 per set is doable but does limit your options. In general, for warm water diving, with proper care almost anything you buy from a major manufacturer will be just fine. If you are going to venture into deeper, colder water, your needs will cost you more. Anything from ScubaPro, Genesis, Aqua-Lung, or Oceanic should suit what you say you need. There are some manufacturers I left off this list because, while their gear is first rate, you aren't going to stay at $500 each. Specifically for what you listed:
BC: Never heard of a high pressure inflator. All integrated BC's will have a low pressure hose (fed off your regulator first stage) that attaches to some sort of inflator mechanism. If you don't want a BP/W, your choices are basically between a back inflate or jacket style. That choice is personal preference. Adding features like weight integration will increase the price. What I have seen at the LDS's tend to be overpriced. Only recommendation I could offer in your price range is to look at Triple-L products. I haven't used their BC's but have purchased other items from them. Don't let their prices fool you into thinking that the gear is inferior, because from what I've seen, it isn't.
Regs: Any particular reason you want balanced? The biggest X/Y choice in regs is between piston and diapraghm. As far as Mares, there will be a lot of people who take exception to your bias and I can't offer you any evidence for or against them. Biggest reason, IMO, that Mares is falling out of favor is their availability online has reduced their desirability as a product line to some LDS's. Rule of thumb with gear and an LDS is that whatever lines they don't sell are garbage. A good reg, and certainly not the only one in your price range, would be something like an Auqa-Lung Titan. At Leisure Pro prices, about $300 for one with a conventional octo and a set of gages. Others in the same range from Oceanic or Genesis and all are about the same. I've used some entry level regs and down to the 70-80' range I've taken them they all seem the same. Only regs I've heard of that won't have some difference while inverted have been ones like Poseidons, but they are going to be out of you price range.
If you do buy from your LDS don't hesitate to negotiate. You are potentially going to buy two sets of basic gear and if you stick with the sport will be back for more gear as time goes on.

RICHinNC:
Am I the only one seeing something wrong in selling life support gear to non certs??

Or mail order to folks who don't know what they're buying. Doesn't matter, logic is not the issue.

MechDiver:
Or mail order to folks who don't know what they're buying. Doesn't matter, logic is not the issue.
The original poster didn't ask about buying online, only asked for suggestions for some pieces of equipment for a specific enviroment within a specific budget. Why do some always have to be the self proclaimed keepers of the tribal myths? Can anyone produce evidence of the death or injury of an uncertified diver using internet purchased gear? Any evidence that your local government is going to start regulating your activities due to all of the unsafe conditions that keep being highlighted?

yknot:
The original poster didn't ask about buying online, only asked for suggestions for some pieces of equipment for a specific enviroment within a specific budget. Why do some always have to be the self proclaimed keepers of the tribal myths? Can anyone produce evidence of the death or injury of an uncertified diver using internet purchased gear? Any evidence that your local government is going to start regulating your activities due to all of the unsafe conditions that keep being highlighted?

My post was in answer to RichinNC, and the fact that noobs buy equipment from mailorder that they know nothing about because its cheaper. I really don't care what they buy, and you have a problem if you think its "a tribal myth".

Rich: If you are concerned that I would be buying gear before becoming certified that is not the case as my post states. I'm looking for opinions on gear to get within a certain budget with certain requirements. I'd be certified when I made the purchase. Online is extremely tempting due to cost, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the LDS route because of their expertise and the "try it before you buy it" opportunity that they have with their pool. The 1000$ probably has a little bit of leeway +/- 300 or so. I could spend more easily but the dreaded keeper of the check book would kick my you know what if I went overboard.... :wink:

JC -

I was in your position not too long ago -

First, I would second yknot's statement that you should check LeisurePro's prices as a benchmark. If your LDS isn't willing to give you a reasonable price compared to them, it's not worth it. To support them, I'm sure you are willing to pay some premium, but just ensure they aren't taking you for all you're worth. Given some of the pricing I've seen at LDSs, $500/each without a computer wouldn't get you as far as you might hope.

Either way, I'll put in a plug for www.scubatoys.com - I just bought all my gear there and am very happy with the purchase. Larry was extremely helpful, flexible, and willing to match (even beat) LeisurePro prices and still provide the advantage of being an authorized dealer.

Now, down to the details:
BC - I spent some time trying to decide between a jacket and back-inflate. While I decided on back-inflate (and suggest that you at least reconsider it), I still did plenty of research/trying out of Jacket styles. My final choices would have either been the Sherwood Avid or Seaquest Pro QD (w/ Velcro ditch). I ended up going with a Zeagle Escape back-inflate, but I won't pitch you - I just suggest that you consider them.

Regs/Octos - I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of people, read a lot on SB, and tried a few out. In the end I was extremely happy with Zeagle. One important point upfront is that they have a great limited lifetime warranty policy. If you want to save money and won't dive too cold, get the Envoy or Envoy Deluxe (all the deluxe adds is the adjustable knob). Going up to the DSIV gets you the environmental seal, but you may not need that based on your requirements. The 50D gives you a swivel - which can be real nice at preventing the reg from pulling, and I think the worries over additional failure points are overstated. I went with the 50D. One nice thing about the Zeagle (and some other good brands) is that the octo is almost exactly the same as the primary - same internal parts.

As for computer - great choice. I went with the Aeris Atmos AI as I wanted Air integrated. Something to consider, but it's personal preference.

See what your LDS has to offer. If they won't at least come close to LeisurePro, give Larry at ScubaToys a call - he was a real pleasure to work with...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom