Will an Aluminum Scuba tank explode when shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the tank will not "explode".
What will happen is that the penetrating projectile will allow the metal immediately around the puncture to separate, based upon its mollecular structure, to an orifice that will allow the internal pressurized gasses to escape. Those pressurized gasses will act very much like a jet engine and cause the containing vessel to move in an opposite direction (remember Sir Issac Newton?{for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction})

In other words, if you take the stupid tank, fill it with air, shoot it with your .308, it won't "BLOW UP", but push out a big hole and go scooting around like a tom cat with his you-know-whats caught in a rat trap.

May this question rest in peace !!!!
the Kraken

The Kraken:
What will happen is that the penetrating projectile will allow the metal immediately around the puncture to separate, based upon its mollecular structure, to an orifice that will allow the internal pressurized gasses to escape. Those pressurized gasses will act very much like a jet engine and cause the containing vessel to move in an opposite direction (remember Sir Issac Newton?{for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction})

In other words, if you take the stupid tank, fill it with air, shoot it with your .308, it won't "BLOW UP", but push out a big hole and go scooting around like a tom cat with his you-know-whats caught in a rat trap.

the Kraken
yup!!! hes right!!! i saw it on myth busters!!!! lol

The Kraken:

the Kraken

K is right. Also, at 200 yds, an '06 doesnt have enough energy to do an incredible amount of damage that tank and may not even penetrate it unless you're using some HOT handloads.

And I also agree...let this thread RIP!!

The Kraken May this question rest in peace !!!! the Kraken[/QUOTE:
HA! Like that's going to happen.

modivin:
K is right. Also, at 200 yds, an '06 doesnt have enough energy to do an incredible amount of damage that tank and may not even penetrate it unless you're using some HOT handloads.

And I also agree...let this thread RIP!!

How much is enough? Several sites I have looked at say that the old dame, the '06, has between 1600 and 1900 ft lbs of energy at 200 yards. (Using a 150gr bullet.)

I do know this. I was a firefighter for years. We use SCBA's. There was a report of an scba in Chicago that was run over by an engine. It was not reported, It did not explode, however when they went to fill it again (SCBA's are usually only filled to 2000psi), it still did not explode. Later that night, and explosion was heared in the bay were the engine was parked, after running down to see what happend, the firefighters came across half of an engine. The pressurized SCBA bottle exploded and completely detroyed the engine. I might take that kind of advice into consideration.

On another note, the show myth busters on TV tried this, and no, they could not get one to Explode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom