Will a Nitrox card work as a C-Card for most operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a PADI Bubblemaker Card on more than one occasion.

I presented my full cave card last summer and the guy said "this doesn't mean you can go through that swim through at 30ft". I didn't ask or care about that thing but apparently I'll need to get a swim through cert now...

What I ended up doing was deciding its best to not dive where people have to ask...

Were they going to follow you? How would they stop you? Did you have to cross your heart and hope to die or a pinky promise not to? :rofl3:

If you are asking about only carrying the Nitrox card, I would say no. As another poster stated, these are available online and at some point, you're going to run into that one person who will question it. Carry your most advanced (AOW) card along with the Nitrox.

People can be funny. You can be a USN Master Chief (w/full salvage training and demolition) and only get credit to the Advanced Open Water Diver level as an equivalency with some agencies.

Were they going to follow you? How would they stop you? Did you have to cross your heart and hope to die or a pinky promise not to? :rofl3:

Spitting on your palm and shaking hands is the correct scuba promissory gesture.

I carry my AOW card.

Means the least (at least to me) and is accepted the most!
I carry my Nitrox and AOW card. Those are the ones that I have been mostly asked for. There are some places/charters where I would not be let to dive certain sites (at certain times) without producing the AOW, so it stays in my wallet.
Yep, those two or higher. Some charters won't let you do some trips without the AOW at least, and the Nitrox card is needed for the gooood stuff. :cool2:
I presented my full cave card last summer and the guy said "this doesn't mean you can go through that swim through at 30ft". I didn't ask or care about that thing but apparently I'll need to get a swim through cert now...

What I ended up doing was deciding its best to not dive where people have to ask...
What was his deal...?
I have used a PADI Bubblemaker Card on more than one occasion.
At our age we get checked over less. A dingy shirt from another dive location seems to work very well. You could probly use a Power Ranger card ok.

There's a big, mixed Honky Tonk in Lubbock that allows minors in, they just can't buy booze (somehow they all leave drunk tho? :confused:) and they card everyone in the line before issuing the appropriate marker or band - I forget, haven't been there in some time. Anyway, I show my PADI Rescue-Enriched Air card. :D The guy looks up at me, hands me my booze pass.
I am trying to pare down the number of cards I actually take with me to the bare minimum. I currently "use" AOW and "Nitrox" and will soon have my "Rescue Diver" card... and I am going to get my "Master" card at the same time because I am a complete DORK and proud to fly the DORK banner... :dork2:
When you get your Rescue and any other PADI card, insist on it being the combo card that include your Nitrox. PADI really wants to sell extra cards and doesn't want to issue new cards as combos, but have your Inst request that, then start calling 1-800-PAY-Padi to follow up. They'll decline at first, but go up the chain of command and don't hang up until they give in. I carry my Rescue-Enriched Air as primary card, keep my AOW & Nitrox cards in my bag in case of loss.

There is no reason to waste money on a Master Diver card, unless you reallllly want to add to your collection.
mastercard
Visa works too, and really - I seldom show a dive card. As long as I fill out the paperwork. I can remember my drivers license number so I use it usually. Good to have a dive card handy tho, in case they remember to ask.

TC:
When I was DM'ing boats the only card I ever refused was one for equipment repair.
LOL When was that? I've used that card for grins and giggles numerous times and have only been turned away once in Florida if I recall.

Carry the AOW and the Nitrox and you'll get keys to the executive washroom.:mooner:

Last edited:
One unfortunate benefit of presenting a divemaster or instructor card is you may get paired with a newby diver that you will get to rescue 10 minutes into your dive. Don't ask me how I know this.

I have also found that if you show up with a solo diving card, trimix in your dual tanks, two sling bottles for deco with an advanced trimix card, and go to 220 ft solo on a basic open water charter, you don't get invited back on the next trip. (they were sure I was going to my certain death and that my body would never be recovered)

Kirby

[c]:lol:[/c]

Back
Top Bottom