Wikipedia article on "Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An encyclopedia isn't a trial. Nor is it a detailed history. You should wiki "encyclopedia". :)

Do an encyclopedia and a trial especially in a adversarial system (likethose in the USA) have the same goal, the truth and the needed tools to understand ?

"Divers supply Triple Death Tragedy"....

I was interested in more info on this incident. I've been following incidents for a while but can't recall this. I searched SB and Yahoo.

Can anyone provide a link or more search terms?

Thanks

JAGO,
In the mid 90's, we had a great way to deal with incessant arguers like you....it was called "George"....... :)
( this is humour :)

Since the end of the 18th century, my country had a great way to deal with incessant arguers like you....it was called "terrorism" (we invented both the name and the concept). ;-p (humour)

By the way, the last cave-diving death in France would be avoided if the diver used a non-DIR equipment. So don't consider there is one system which is the best. In a particular situation, there is one systeml which is more appropriate.

I will not argue anymore. I will just ask one question : why, according to you, is DIR diving associated with intolerance, sectarianism, dogmatism ?

By the way, the last cave-diving death in France would be avoided if the diver used a non-DIR equipment. So don't consider there is one system which is the best. In a particular situation, there is one systeml which is more appropriate.

^ That you have to explain :wink: So you are claiming there was a death in cave diving in France BECAUSE they were adopting a DIR system? Can you please elaborate on this / tell us what happened?

Besides, IMO for an wiki article it would absolutely suffice to mention that there is a debate about DIR because a) of its name and the corresponding history and b) of its strict rules and standardization that is sometimes objected by other parts of the dive community/industry. Add a reference to this and it is all you need to address in an encyclopedic article about DIR. One or two sentences, done. Of course you cannot address ALL different opinions, as you were claiming, as this would be neither feasable to do nor would it make sense. The describtion of the system itself should be done by people who have a clue about the system because otherwise the chances are high that the whole article becomes pointless.

Since the end of the 18th century, my country had a great way to deal with incessant arguers like you....it was called "terrorism" (we invented both the name and the concept). ;-p (humour)

I will not argue anymore. I will just ask one question : why, according to you, is DIR diving associated with intolerance, sectarianism, dogmatism ?
I think France pretty much gets terrorized by any country that wants to attack it. And since WWII they have become so helpless they might as well turn their military into a service core, that helps with the demands of whoever plans on dominating them in any given month :)

And then of course, there is the Tour de France...the poor French have not won their own race in so long that now they are trying to find ways to exclude every major rival country....if they gid rid of all teams but the French, they may finally win one again next year :) ( just humour) :)

As to DIR, you clearly have an insufficient understanding of it to make such wild and obnoxious pronouncements...but again, we have to consider the source :)

Well, to respond to your question, I believe it is because people who chose to do things a different way feel threatened ... either by the name or the implied challenge to their own held beliefs ... and so have created a stereotype that justifies their antagonism toward it.

Now I have a question ... several, actually ...

- What is your involvement in this article?
- What is your background and exposure to DIR?
- Why would someone with your obvious bias against DIR want to involve himself in writing an article on the topic?

The article ... in its current state ... is poorly written and clearly biased. It is evident that the people writing it have no actual experience with the topic. The authors seem more interested in emphasizing controversies than in producing an informative article. That emphasis makes the entire article essentially worthless, except as a convenient reference for those who want to perpetuate stereotypes and controversy.

Which, as someone who has made a living writing manuals, articles and marketing literature for the past 34 years, makes me wonder ... what is the point?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
I would really like to hear the story of the death caused by diving a Hog rig. I pay pretty close attention to reports of cave diving deaths, and I'm not familiar with this one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom