Wikipedia article on "Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wanted to let people know that Wikipedia article on DIR diving is currently going through a major rewrite. As with all these Wikipedia projects, experts (and non-experts) who wish to contribute or comment are more than welcome to do so. At the moment we are particularly struggling to come up with reliable online sources for some of the aspects of mainstream DIR practice, so if anyone would like to chip in with suggestions I am sure the team working on the article would be grateful.

Doing It Right - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is anyone with DIR training involved in the re-write?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just wanted to let people know that Wikipedia article on DIR diving is currently going through a major rewrite. As with all these Wikipedia projects, experts (and non-experts) who wish to contribute or comment are more than welcome to do so. At the moment we are particularly struggling to come up with reliable online sources for some of the aspects of mainstream DIR practice, so if anyone would like to chip in with suggestions I am sure the team working on the article would be grateful.

Doing It Right - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since I was there at the beginning, I can help if they have any historical issues they want to go over....One interesting phenonmenon was that DIR was initially spread globally by rec.scuba as well as the Cavers List and the Tech List ( of Aquanaut). This spread occurred in a time when all forms of training were spread by print publication, and large advertising expense....DIR was one of the most successful Guerilla Marketing campaigns of all time, even though it's objective was not to make money, but rather to "Change Diving".

I couldn't say for certain. Certainly some of them appear very familiar with DIR methodology.

But that is one of the reasons to make sure we have links to reliable sources. Do you fancy getting involved, Bob?

Is anyone with DIR training involved in the re-write?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I couldn't say for certain. Certainly some of them appear very familiar with DIR methodology.

But that is one of the reasons to make sure we have links to reliable sources. Do you fancy getting involved, Bob?

Being familiar with DIR methodology isn't very reliable ... your views and perceptions are still going to be colored by your training and experience.

I'm familiar with DIR methodology, but my only DIR training is two attempts at Fundamentals (the second one successful) and a handful of workshops put on by GUE trained instructors. I wouldn't consider myself a very qualified resource.

A well-written Wiki page would include contributions from senior-level people who have been involved in DIR programs and projects for a number of years at a number of levels ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Can we get a pic of a guy not holding onto tthe bottom? Yanno, trim and buoyancy and all that.

Agreed. Also, hose loops too much, inflator looks too long, etc.etc.

OK, I read the page. My general comment ... this is clearly written by someone who is not DIR, and frankly, presents a perspective of someone who has an axe to grind with DIR.

If you're going to put this much effort into the page, please don't make it a parody.

And those two pictures of divers in-water are not very representative of DIR at all ... they look more like wannabes, or perhaps people who are preparing for, but have not yet taken, Fundamentals.

Looks like a lot of effort ... but not at all a fair representation of the topic you're trying to cover ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Since I was there at the beginning, I can help if they have any historical issues they want to go over....One interesting phenonmenon was that DIR was initially spread globally by rec.scuba as well as the Cavers List and the Tech List ( of Aquanaut).

George also showed up on Compuserve (ca 1994). That's the first place I had heard of DIR.

I really hate to say it, because I didn't help in any way, but I don't think it's a very well-written article at all. It's not very well organized and has very redundant parts, and like everything I've ever seen written about DIR diving by non-DIR divers, it's overly equipment-focused. In addition, almost as much space is given to criticisms and trying to find places where the system isn't applicable, as is given to describing the system. Is this appropriate for an informational article? (Honestly, trying to say that the requirements of DIR diving don't apply when one is solo diving is rather absurd, as one of THE most basic pillars of the system is diving as a team. To say that a holistic system doesn't work when you arbitrarily jettison a central part of it seems like a tautology to me.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom