Wife Might Have DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebuddies

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a week since our return from Bonaire. We were there for a week and and performed about 10 dives (8 shore + 2 boat dives). We were very cognizant about following the RDP, ensuring we had performed sufficient surface intervals and safety stops. Max depth reached was 70 feet and we made sure not to ascend too quickly. We dove with air--no nitrox.

My wife has just told me last night that when we returned, she suffered from an upset stomach, dull headaches (at night only), nausea, and bumps on her skin. She didn't tell me about these symptoms because she attributed them to her having her period this past week. We thought the bumps on her skin were caused by excessive sun exposure. In the past couple of days, her aforementioned symptoms have subsided, but now she has been complaining of joint pain--mainly shoulder and wrist. Her wrist pain is sharp, and her shoulder joint pain is such that she is having difficulty putting on clothes. She is otherwise alert and aware.

My question is should we consider these signs as symptoms of DCS and should I bring her to an ER? Thanks for your responses.

Call Divers' Alert Network. Dial 1-919-684-8111 and tell the operator that you have a diving emergency. You don't have to be a member or have DAN insurance to call (although everyone ought to be a member).

Hello Dive buddies:

This long duration from the dives to the still-residual symptoms makes me suspicious. It does not appear to be DCS problems in this case.

My guess is that there has been considerable muscle activity and soreness associated with the activity of a shore dive. :sprite10:

The skin eruptions and such might be a traveler’s malady and are a different matter. They might require an enquiry to a physician. You can, of course, also call DAN.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I'd say call DAN in case and maybe plan on at least a visit to a doc. She may just have an assortment of other problems. It's easy to do a job on shoulder, elbow, or wrist hauling around tanks and gear, all it takes is one wrong move - I know, I've done it!

DAN can be an excellent resource for a call made the day of the dive & problem, but a week after diving - I see no reason for the emergency call or ER? Even if it was DCS, it's certainly too late to do anything about it.

Since all the above posts happened in a very short period of time, Dr Deco's post may have been over looked. Like he said, "It does not appear to be DCS problems in this case," sore muscles from activities new to your bodies, plus some sort of travelers malady.

Has she seen a physician since returning...?

So funny, if you do have DAN, why would you consider to first seek help from fellow scubaboard members, get on the phone, you know the drill!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom