Wide Face mask user check in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hamatchi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi I am Joe and I have a wide face...

Ugh, after a couple of decades of use my old Mares mask is retiring. Damn Mares quality control (joking).

I have a really hard time finding Masks that fit my wide/flattish face. Which is one of the reasons I used my Mares so long.

I'm trying to find something low volume and on the smaller size. I have tried 3 LDS and ordered some online without any success.

Closest for me so far have been:
Oceanic Shadow ( Are the fogging issues resolved with this?)
Oceanic Pioneer (not crazy about all the "design" elements)
Scuba Max Mk153 ( I've never heard of ScubaMax before, so kind of wary)

Tried and did not fit:
Bunch of Atomic, Scubapro, Cressi, Mares, Aqualung

Some masks that were marketing as fitting wide faces that did not fit me:
Dive Rite ESS125 (came close, but I did not want to kid myself)
DGX Ultra View Frameless (Dive Rite ESS155 clone)
Hollis M1 (I really wanted to have this one fit)

So I what masks do you folks with wide faces like to use?

Last edited:
Do the search, there was a long discussion on this topic not long ago.

Do the search, there was a long discussion on this topic not long ago.

Hmm, I always do searches before posting, guess I didn't go wide enough. Mods please feel free to delete this thread. Sorry.

Catalina mask ordered. Fingers crossed this will fit. Thanks!

Me too! Thanks for your support!

Dano

Just to close the loop here. The Mako Catalina arrived yestersday and did not fit. Also tried the Tusa Freedom HD that is mentioned in the other thread, also a no go. I guess I have a really wide flat face.

The only two masks that fit me were the Oceanic Shadow and the Scubapro Spectra Tru Fit.

I went with the Shadow.

Oceanic Shadow ( Are the fogging issues resolved with this?)
Oceanic Pioneer (not crazy about all the "design" elements)
?

I have wide face and relative flat face. Shadow is a good fit for me. Fogging issue is more related to mask preparation, not the mask itself. I don't think I never have foggy issue after prep steps.

Pionner isn't really a wide face mask. You should go try it, but it doesn't fit nearly as well as Shadow. Another good wide face mask if Mare X-vision. This one fit me even better than Shadow, but I like the single lens of shadow more.

Correction the Scubapro that fit me was the Synerygy Twin Tru Fit. Ugh, Scubapro naming conventions lol.

I am optimistic about the Shadow. Seems like a good seal all around, plus it's frameless, low volume, comes with a slap strap already and it's BLACK. Good info on the fogging. On to the pool test this Friday!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom