"Why You Should Go to Mexico"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thot the map helped put it into perspective altho I would have liked to have seen the Yucatan and Alabama included for a more precise idea of how far the peninsula is from a problem area. "As long as I stay at least a thousand miles from the problems, and not leave the airport in Houston, I think I will be out of range."

I may print out the map for my brother who thinks I am insane for going there...

Attachments

• Mexico warnings.JPG
    Mexico warnings.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Mexico warnings 2.JPG
    Mexico warnings 2.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 63
I was chatting with a friend from St Kitts (which had a similar image problem, on a much smaller scale, after a bus load of tourists was held up at gun point). Her point was that there are so many options for travellers today, tourists would prefer to make an easy choice rather than have to think about whether a particular area is safe or not. Crime just kills tourism.

As a side note, I was reading some of the stuff about the Mexican drug gangs in The Economist the other day. Serious, serious pychopaths. There is killing people, and then there is cold blooded murder, and then there is some of the stuff that they do....

As a dive guide,for ten yaers I have lived all over in Mexico/Central America (eastside) and never once had a life threating situation. Just be aware of your immediate surroundings,have a lot of 'locals' as friends,and do not brag/flash your wealth. Of course it does not hurt having a name like "Krazytom"!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Wasn't there a drug related killing on Cozumel not too long ago. Something about a dead guy found in a car?

Wasn't there a drug related killing on Cozumel not too long ago. Something about a dead guy found in a car?

It was a couple of years ago as I recall. He (and a couple of others, I think) fled from the mainland to Coz but his drug buddies tracked him down and killed him in a remote area of the island.

I was at my bank today inquiring about making a wire transfer to my dive operator in Cozumel to pay upfront for my upcoming dive trip. He looked at me as though I was up to something shady! He asked me if I was worried about the cartels and violence against tourists there and of course I just laughed and explained to him where Cozumel Mexico was and how the only thing I worry about doing there is driving a car.

Gaffer

The only drug related violence I know of happened several years ago and was alluded to by MMM. Two idiots stole several pounds of Cocaine from their gang on the mainland and tried to hide in Cozumel with the cocaine in the ground behind their rented house. Guess what, they got toasted, but that is the only violence that I know of in Cozumel over the least 10 years.

(oh yes, one drunk hacked his buddy with a machete in 1997 and he died as well) That's is the entire history of murder in Cozumel that I know of since 1992.

The ATMs here are much more viscous!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

LoL - in Cozumel, Scuba Diving is more dangerous than anything else. I'll take those odds! :D

Just last year sometime that guy took one in the gourd on Melgar I think. Moto drove up beside him and popped him as I recall. Saw it on Por Esto. But, eh, two or three homicides in a couple years could qualify a place of its size as pretty darn safe. .

Back
Top Bottom