Why would Emperor Divers shun BDE route in Dec/Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello!
On a related note, I'm considering BDE over New Year. Would you say it's a good time to go in terms of encounters with large animals? Am I likely to encounter pretty awful sea conditions?

Hello!
On a related note, I'm considering BDE over New Year. Would you say it's a good time to go in terms of encounters with large animals? Am I likely to encounter pretty awful sea conditions?
Your guess is as good as mine :). I had both calm seas and rough seas for sailing, but conditions were not that bad as to prevent some goods dives. Same for large animals. One year you had to be careful to to land on a shark when jumping from the boat, another year we did not see one single shark at Brothers.

The Egyptian Red Sea is a year round destination and good diving can be had all year. But in general, winter is less popular because the Egyptian Red Sea is very seasonal and summer provide tropical sea temperatures, in winter it can get below 20 C in the gulf of Aquba (February). That's when you'll see local DM:s diving dry. Summer is also generally "big fish season", with OWT being the exception as they are much more frequent during fall/winter--peaking in November, and some reefs noticably more "alive and kicking" in the warmer water. Winter is generally windier and stormier than summer, but there are flat seas somtimes in December too. But since winter is less popular it also means deals can be had and dive spots will be less busy. If you find a good deal, go for it!

The Egyptian Red Sea is a year round destination and good diving can be had all year. But in general, winter is less popular because the Egyptian Red Sea is very seasonal and summer provide tropical sea temperatures, in winter it can get below 20 C in the gulf of Aquba (February). That's when you'll see local DM:s diving dry. Summer is also generally "big fish season", with OWT being the exception as they are much more frequent during fall/winter--peaking in November, and some reefs noticably more "alive and kicking" in the warmer water. Winter is generally windier and stormier than summer, but there are flat seas somtimes in December too. But since winter is less popular it also means deals can be had and dive spots will be less busy. If you find a good deal, go for it!

Thank you both, Mod and Christian.
We don't like really hot weather very much and prefer the winter season in the Red Sea as the water temperature is pretty much what we have here (Catalonia) in summer. So it's a diving environment that we are comfortable with (5-7mm suits), and it means it's less crowded. While we miss out on the wonders of Ras Mohamed in summer, some bargains can be had, as you pointed out. However, all in the family are a bit prone to sea-sickness, so rough crossings are a concern. We can't decide whether to go for BDE, South and St. John's (which I understand is a more flexible route and boats have a greater chance of finding calm spots) or, instead, do Brothers and North (Abu Nuhas, Thislegorm, Ras Mo). Would the latter generally mean more options for the captain to avoid rough seas, you think?

Looking forward to your observations!

Thank you both, Mod and Christian.
We don't like really hot weather very much and prefer the winter season in the Red Sea as the water temperature is pretty much what we have here (Catalonia) in summer. So it's a diving environment that we are comfortable with (5-7mm suits), and it means it's less crowded. While we miss out on the wonders of Ras Mohamed in summer, some bargains can be had, as you pointed out. However, all in the family are a bit prone to sea-sickness, so rough crossings are a concern. We can't decide whether to go for BDE, South and St. John's (which I understand is a more flexible route and boats have a greater chance of finding calm spots) or, instead, do Brothers and North (Abu Nuhas, Thislegorm, Ras Mo). Would the latter generally mean more options for the captain to avoid rough seas, you think?

Looking forward to your observations!

Around Sinai it is possible to find shelter easily, but once you head out towards Brothers ... there are no escape from weather. St Johns also provide more shelter than Brothers or Deadalus, but still sailing. Elphinstone itself unsheltered, but close to shore and to the Abu Dabab reefs that can provide shelter.

This is very helpful and it confirms my suspicions. Thank you very much!

the rougher parts on BDE are shore to Brother, Brother to Deadalus and Deadalus back to shore/Elphinstone.
One thing you can be sure of, you never know :cool: what it will be like. We had glassy seas one year, the next we could not moore at Abu Nuhas with out risking to become the 5th wreck. DOn't worry, you will havea great time; me and my wife frequently do Christmas/New Years trips.

Hello!
I went to BDE in December 2019 and had a good luck with the weather. Got to see several Longimanus. Checked it off my “been there done that” list and moved on to a better diving destination.

Trip Report - BDE Trip Report, 21-28 December, 2019

Back
Top Bottom