why women only...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJisthe1 once bubbled...
well, if we were not like a million gazillion miles apart, then I would let you find me, You are my dream lady!!! a Capt(might I add a heck of alot prettier than my cap, hes an old fart anyway!!!lol) on the fire dept?? shoot, and a diver??!!! the only other thing I could ask for is for you to be on the same shift as me!! I am a FF also, in case you didnt guess!! I would ask if yall accept latterals, but it is WAY to cold in alaska!!!LOL
Cold? It got 90 degrees here this Summer!! Dang sweltering if ya ask me! Yeah, OK, the thermometer needle swings the other way too, but it really doesn't get that much colder than the NE USofA - just lasts longer is all :rolleyes: My FD doesn't do laterals - After 5 1/2 yrs on a dept in N. Cali, I had to start over when I moved back up here. I was, however, able to "challenge" the academy by passing their written and FF1 skills test, so that saved me doing THAT again. Probation was still the full year, though.

And yeah, I can shoot, field dress game and load it on the pack horses so it doesn't tip over too, bait my own fishhooks (though fishing is only for SI's now that I dive and own a spear gun:D), fillet and smoke or grill the fish, drive a semi, boat, ATV, whatever and do most of the maintenance and repair work on my own cars, train and shoe my own horses,

And THAT's why most guys are intimidated - most guys think they like a self-sufficient, independent, low-maintenance woman. Then they get their ego's bruised if the chick is a better shot, is physically strong, has a physical, traditionally guys only job and can keep up with 90% of the guys she works with (and the ones I can't keep up with I can usually outlast in the long haul, LOL!), knows how to do something they can't but "guys are supposed to do that." It's amazing how many guys want the "little woman" to "take care of."

I really, truly don't give a $h!t if a guy makes less money than me, has a boring office job or drives a truck for a living. I DO respect a man who pays his own bills, treats people with the respect they deserve (admittedly, some people don't deserve much:eek:ut:), isn't afraid to speak his mind and isn't opposed to trying something different (take that any way you want, but I mean it in a VERY general sense).

Trouble is, although I CAN dress up if I want, but I'm way more comfortable in jeans (or shorts in summer) and Tee shirts, don't wear make up, I'm not afraid to get dirt under what nails I have and don't NEED someone to "take care of me." I'm also past my prime, definitely not model material, not skinny as a rail and not blonde. Thay say looks are only 10% of the attraction? Well guess what - they're the FIRST 10% :(

Ugh - (Sorry, TJisthe1, this started out as an attempt at a witty reply to your post and turned into a vent.) And now I've ranted long enough and turned off every single guy on the board, so I'll shut up now:nospeak:

divemistress once bubbled...
.....doesn't "women's view" suggest that the men's view is not welcome here?

Not at all. It's to let anyone who wants to participate in this forum that they'll find women's views on any subject we care to bring up. That we have more interesting things to talk about than bleeding in the water, peeing in our wetsuits, having fake boobs, and catching a man. :mean:

If any man want to come here to express his views, he's more than welcome to do so...if he can do it without the juvenile 13 year old mentality and puberty level that so often appears here.

Of course, that's just my view on it! :wink:

divemistress once bubbled...

doesn't "women's view" suggest that the men's view is not welcome here?

No, not necessarily. It implies that the theme of the forum is women's perspectives of diving but doesn't need to be exclusive. Subtle, huh? :)

I think it's much more open than Women Only. Well done the Board for modernising. :clapping:

Snowbear once bubbled...

Cold? It got 90 degrees here this Summer!! Dang sweltering if ya ask me! Yeah, OK, the thermometer needle swings the other way too, but it really doesn't get that much colder than the NE USofA - just lasts longer is all :rolleyes: My FD doesn't do laterals - After 5 1/2 yrs on a dept in N. Cali, I had to start over when I moved back up here. I was, however, able to "challenge" the academy by passing their written and FF1 skills test, so that saved me doing THAT again. Probation was still the full year, though.

And yeah, I can shoot, field dress game and load it on the pack horses so it doesn't tip over too, bait my own fishhooks (though fishing is only for SI's now that I dive and own a spear gun:D), fillet and smoke or grill the fish, drive a semi, boat, ATV, whatever and do most of the maintenance and repair work on my own cars, train and shoe my own horses,

And THAT's why most guys are intimidated - most guys think they like a self-sufficient, independent, low-maintenance woman. Then they get their ego's bruised if the chick is a better shot, is physically strong, has a physical, traditionally guys only job and can keep up with 90% of the guys she works with (and the ones I can't keep up with I can usually outlast in the long haul, LOL!), knows how to do something they can't but "guys are supposed to do that." It's amazing how many guys want the "little woman" to "take care of."

I really, truly don't give a $h!t if a guy makes less money than me, has a boring office job or drives a truck for a living. I DO respect a man who pays his own bills, treats people with the respect they deserve (admittedly, some people don't deserve much:eek:ut:), isn't afraid to speak his mind and isn't opposed to trying something different (take that any way you want, but I mean it in a VERY general sense).

Trouble is, although I CAN dress up if I want, but I'm way more comfortable in jeans (or shorts in summer) and Tee shirts, don't wear make up, I'm not afraid to get dirt under what nails I have and don't NEED someone to "take care of me." I'm also past my prime, definitely not model material, not skinny as a rail and not blonde. Thay say looks are only 10% of the attraction? Well guess what - they're the FIRST 10% :(

Ugh - (Sorry, TJisthe1, this started out as an attempt at a witty reply to your post and turned into a vent.) And now I've ranted long enough and turned off every single guy on the board, so I'll shut up now:nospeak:

LOL :applause: well said!!!

dont kill me for this but is women only/view ncessary, women do have problems that men dont and its hard to understand if we are not enlightend. I was married at 16 for 30 years to a woman that would not talk about that time of the month in my seconde marrige to a woman that did talk I learned a lot and understood a whole lot better. Evan now I get enlightened from women only section.

Snowbear once bubbled...

Cold? It got 90 degrees here this Summer!! Dang sweltering if ya ask me!

And now I've ranted long enough and turned off every single guy on the board, so I'll shut up now:nospeak:

90? Sweltering? Only if it's 100% humidity! Maybe it's my Florida upbringing, but it's just hot until you get past 95 with 75% humidity. I remember swimming in Miami over Christmas vacation, and it's probably swimming weather even in North Florida about 2 in 5 Xmases! However, I just had my first even respectable winter here in VA (snow on ground for about a month, 8" or so) and really enjoyed it, especially the driving, since we don't have enough snowplows for a heavy snow like we had this past year.

I don't think guys are intimidated so much as ready to move on because most like being in charge. Finding guys who are content to go with the flow, as opposed to having strong opinions and preferences, is harder than finding women with those characteristics. My wife and I have most of our difficulties based on us both being opinionated and having definite opinions. We also are both career driven, and since my career drug me to VA, and she loves her Atlanta job, we have an issue. We are almost through the year of living apart, and the discussion about who moves will be quite explosive I'm sure. I liike that Sylvia picks up activities quickly. I can show her new activities and she makes things interesting really quickly because she hates to lose as much as me! THis is great because I hate and don't do well with "playing down to a beginner"

Yes, but you CAN dress up, that's all that matters. Just occasionally in the bedroom would satisfy most guys quite nicely! :D
Model? Who wants to marry a model?!
Skinny? that's just frail!
Blonde? Where do I begin, since blondes are so abused already! :D

Having the first 10% would just mean a bunch of dates where you're both dying for an end to an awful evening since physical attraction was the only reason for the date. Besides, except for the distance and a little ring on my finger (and in-laws with guns!), your first 10% seems nice to me.

Snowbear once bubbled...

And yeah, I can shoot, field dress game and load it on the pack horses so it doesn't tip over too, bait my own fishhooks (though fishing is only for SI's now that I dive and own a spear gun), fillet and smoke or grill the fish, drive a semi, boat, ATV, whatever and do most of the maintenance and repair work on my own cars, train and shoe my own horses,

LOL...Where were you when I was single...?

scubasean once bubbled...

LOL...Where were you when I was single...?
Probably in the process of getting dumped by some guy that figured out I wasn't worth the effort!

adder70 - as a bred and buttered Alaskan, yep, 90F is scorching! I did get a good tan out of it this summer, though:D I am hoping to get a break from this next winter to go to FL for cave training:mean:

your question is reasonable, cdiver2. but without this forum, where would we have these discussions? where would we feel comfortable having these discussions? where would we be sure of attracting enough female posters to make these discussions meaningful?

me, i just can't imagine going to "non-diving related issues" and starting certain threads. for example, i'd like to know how other women avoiding bleeding through their tampons, onto their suits, their legs, etc. while diving. (dive with a tampon, it gets saturated with water, can't soak up blood, starts to run, causes big mess.)

that's a little graphic for a general forum, at least for me. plus, i'd be afraid of getting nasty, joking comments from some men.

here i'm more comfortable raising certain issues than i woud be elsewhere. and since the forum is open to men, those like you who are interested, can read/join the discussion as you wish.

that's how it works for me, at least.

dm

cdiver2 once bubbled...
dont kill me for this but is women only/view ncessary, women do have problems that men dont and its hard to understand if we are not enlightend. I was married at 16 for 30 years to a woman that would not talk about that time of the month in my seconde marrige to a woman that did talk I learned a lot and understood a whole lot better. Evan now I get enlightened from women only section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom