why women only...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bermudaskink

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Why do we need our own little forum? I know that not as many women dive as men but is that reason for our own little segregated list of threads? It seems a bit silly to me. If someone has already asked/ answered this question I apoloigise. I haven't surfed this entire site - it's huge!

I don't mind the "Women Only" group. In fact, I think some of the most interesting posts that I've read so far have come from that group.

I don't feel that a "Women Only" group means anything in terms of skill or attitude in the water (two of the best three buddies I've ever had are women), but they are a minority in the sport (in my area anyways) and it may help for some women to ask advice from other women about certain diving experiences.

As I said, I love reading posts from this category and hope that the group will continue.

OK I get your point. I just get this horrid feeling when I see some kind of sexual segregation.

In regards to your sig...

Whats' wrong with peeing in your wet suit?? As long as you wash it afterwards it is the best way to warm yourself up if the water is cold and who needs that horrid feeling of needing to go but wanting to continue diving for another 30mins.

All the people I dive with do it too! IN fact when I first started diving I would never do it but once so many people told me it was a really good way to warm up and they admitted to it I thought why the hell not give it a go!! :)

It can't harm anyone! Unless the suit is rented - in which case that's a rather disgusting! Unless you really had to go badly and made the effort to make sure it was cleaned well afterwards!

I probably pee in my wetsuit at least every other dive. If it's cold or I drank a lot before the dive - I can pee several times in a dive!! :)

This would make a funny poll.

I think that the women's only section is very good. I mean where would you put some of the topics that deal directly with women? I think it has given the women a place to feel free to discuss these issues.
The best part is if you are not a woman and you don't care about these issues, you can ignore this whole section-however that wouldn't much fun, because there is some really interesting topics covered, er is that uncovered?

As a man who has to go through the awkward task of trying to fit these rental wetsuits designed presumably by men for curvy women, I know precisely what one of those issues can be.

I seriously do not like trying to fit a woman into some of the suits. The worst ones are the woman who look like woman (in other words they have HIPS to pull this 7mm monstrosity over) and young girls who are just starting to develop their hips and often have to be fitted into suits for small men. They always understanding but I always feel like something less than a gentleman when this happens.

When women start to design some of this 7mm suits for the rental fleet instead of men, I will know that there is one less "women's only" issue.

Also, I went through an Open Water class with nothing but young ladies. Trust me, there are many issues specific to women that men never dream of. I ,for one, am happy that there is such a forum.

bermudaskink once bubbled...

Whats' wrong with peeing in your wet suit??

This would make a funny poll.

The poll already exists:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35092

People are free to do whatever they like, but I used to pee frequently in my first wetsuit, and the first part of it that gave out is the crotch area.... no idea if it's a coincidence or not, but I try to hold it in with my second one. Of course, if the dive is shallow and lasts over an hour, I have no choice but to let loose :)

Your statement that "peeing warms you up" is not entirely true. When cold, the body focuses heating more on the central body (abdomen) and less on the limbs. When you pee, you fool your body into thinking that it's warm and it stops generating heat in that area. You feel temporary "relief" in that area, but it is short lived. Of course, I dive in 60-65 F water, a far cry from what you have in Bermuda :)

The signature is more of a joke than an actual belief of mine. I do get a kick out of seeing my buddies kneel down in the sand for a couple of minutes during some of our dives :). This is a sport that requires to drink lots of water, so it comes with the territory.

Kaos once bubbled...

Your statement that "peeing warms you up" is not entirely true. When cold, the body focuses heating more on the central body (abdomen) and less on the limbs. When you pee, you fool your body into thinking that it's warm and it stops generating heat in that area. You feel temporary "relief" in that area, but it is short lived. Of course, I dive in 60-65 F water, a far cry from what you have in Bermuda :)
Diving Physiology in Plain English. Jolie Booksban.... Good book.

The signature is more of a joke than an actual belief of mine. I do get a kick out of seeing my buddies kneel down in the sand for a couple of minutes during some of our dives :). This is a sport that requires to drink lots of water, so it comes with the territory.

One of my buddies, and less cuth divers calls it "Turning on the Heater"

I've heard it refered to as "the urinecline" and "Wow, I just swam through an offshoot of the Gulfstream."

If i pee in MY wetsuit and warm up the water between me and the suit - this water gets trapped inside for a while with me - and helps keep the water in my suit warmer than the surroundings.

Interesting point about "fooling your body"

I am not saying it is some kind of self rescue when you are freezing to death! But it does usually keep me a little warmer on a cold dive.

I have never noticed getting colder than before I peed after the temporary warming effects wear off.

The water is only warm here in the summer and I dive all year round.

It gets down into the 50s and many divers here use drysuits when it gets like that but I find my 5mm bib and brace and a hood and some warming body fluids enough to keep me toasty! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom