Why, when & where do we do a checkout dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you TMH, I was far away from thinking this to be possible. But you may be right, although I have never seen it :).

FYI, I rinse my bathing suit after every dive too :thumb:

Last edited:
Can't hurt. I practise oral inflation after every dive when rinsing the inside of the BCD.

That too, but I'm thinking of taking a good breath from the primary 2nd-stage regulator at the end of the 3 minute safety stop, take the regulator out of my mouth, blow the air from my lung into the BCD manual inflator mouthpiece & watch how quickly myself ascending to the surface.

That too, but I'm thinking of taking a good breath from the primary 2nd-stage regulator at the end of the 3 minute safety stop, take the regulator out of my mouth, blow the air from my lung into the BCD manual inflator mouthpiece & watch how quickly myself ascending to the surface.

Bad idea. Ascent rate most critical in that last 15 feet. Save it for the surface.

awap's response to DanT +1 from me
DanT, you really do not want to do that. No fast ascents from safety stop ever unless emergency.

awap's response to DanT +1 from me
DanT, you really do not want to do that. No fast ascents from safety stop ever unless emergency.

Thanks! I do monitor my rate of ascent on my dive computer as usual. If I'm going up too fast, it'll complain anyway & I can bleed the air out of the inflator button. I may go up & down like a yoyo +/- 3', but I can fine tune how much air I can manually blow into the inflator.

Practicing oral inflation out of water is the same as underwater--assuming of course you don't inhale water when underwater....which seems just logical... but....All about that old Airway control.

All that is discussed is soooooooo thrue. I see so many divers rushing to the surface immediatelly after their safety stops. This is the worst time and place to rush, since it is the moment when the Delta of Pressure is the largest.

On another note, I read also that, at the surface you are not supposed to make any effort. Vasalva and forcefully blowing in an inflator is forbidden for people that could have a heart defect - forament with a hole - and increase the risk of DCS :(

Some would even went further by suggesting the check out dive should be FREE!!!!!

Yeah it should be. The so-called "Checkout dive" is to satisfy YOUR curiosity, not mine. I already know my dive capabilities and my equipment limitations. Just because you tote a PADI instructor card around in your wallet doesn't mean you've learned any more about diving over your 12 month career than I have over my 19 year career. I'd suggest since you're the "dive master" and technically my employee, it is you who should be doing a "check out dive" for me to critique.

I don't need your "adult supervision" on my dive. All I need your boat for is a taxi ride out to the wreck.

When I was in college, my networking admin professor (Microsoft certified A+ and Cisco Certified) quietly called me over one day after class and asked me if he brought his computer from home if I'd install his new hard drive. He didn't know how. But in the classroom he was Mr. big-shot "professor" with his certifications hanging on his office wall. :)

IB, I agree with all that for sure. But as I think others have said, it's their boat. Check ahead of time to find a taxi one (if that's possible in the location you want to dive). On my one tropical trip (so far) I've come up with 2 or 3 more questions to ask on the internet should I take another trip.

Back
Top Bottom