Why, when & where do we do a checkout dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The simple answer with regards to the "permanent and forever" is never simply because skills can and will degrade if not kept fresh.

As someone that deals with the army I am sure you know the importance of continual drills and practise. As a former first aid trainer I know how quickly those practical skills can fade unless they are refreshed

These are the reasons for check dives IMHO operators need to know the level of those skills

The simple answer with regards to the "permanent and forever" is never simply because skills can and will degrade if not kept fresh.

As someone that deals with the army I am sure you know the importance of continual drills and practise. As a former first aid trainer I know how quickly those practical skills can fade unless they are refreshed

These are the reasons for check dives IMHO operators need to know the level of those skills
Agree. The operator doesn't know if you're up to snuff or a knob.

I don't know if the operator is "up to snuff" or a knob.

What's the reason for a C card (other than forty free bucks for PADI) if it doesn't provide evidence of competence? Why do I carry it around in my wallet? Is it just an expensive souvenir from PADI?

Should I ask the Captain to take me around the marina on his boat to demonstrate he actually remembers the skills he demonstrated 30 years ago on the exam? That USCG certificate taped to the wall really doesn't mean anything.

I should also require the divemaster to demonstrate he remembers his stuff from the exam a decade ago?

I got a buddy who let his USCG license expire and he wanted to renew it. He's blind as a bat now so he had his buddy go take the test for him because he couldn't see the buoy diagrams on the exam. Now he's a USCG license captain renewed and can't see **** more than 20 feet away. :)

Mabe PADI just needs to quit with the forty dollar C cards. We can all just demonstrate we know how to dive when we sign up for the charter. We have to do it anyway, so why the card?

And yeah, I understand. But when my soldier went to the range last week and qualified 30 out of 30, I don't ask him this week to show me he still knows how to shoot.

The certificates demonstrate that the diver was taught the skills and knowledge at the time of the test. No more no less.

The check out demonstrates to the operator that the skills and knowledge are up to date. Take your soldier- when he transfers to a new base would the new CO trust the records or would he want to see him run through drills etc before sending him out on active duty?

You are on their trip/boat so they have a responsibility to themselves and to the others on the trip/boat to do what they can to maximise safety and enjoyment for everyone. Doing the checkout dives allows the op to see if anyone needs assistance or watching.

IB, Again, I know what you're saying. But as pointed out, an OW cert., driver's license, NY State Teaching Certificate, or anything else you can achieve may mean nothing if you don't keep stuff current. The Captain knows what he can do, but doesn't know what you can do. You could be a MI with thousands of dives and he still doesn't positively know. You're hiring him, so you have to do what he wants. You can ask to be shown his USCG abilities from a decade ago if you want. Or, just not book with him.

On a tangent from an old thread--renewing any kind of certificate/license with written or practical tests costs time and money one way or another. If there were a requirement for me to renew my teacher cert. every so often and that would cost me money and maybe take up precious vacation time, it may be a deterrent for me to have become a teacher. The alternative is for people to be responsible and keep their skills sharp. Dive boats can't trust everyone to do that. Neither can most authorities (like Govt.) these days, thus we have so many laws that just HAVE to exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom