Why, when & where do we do a checkout dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two of the skills that I have been asked to do on a check out dive:
1. Fin pivoting to demonstrate neutral buoyancy.
2. Breathing off the octo from the buddy and vica versa.

Everyone paid because it was the first dive of a pre-paid liveaborad package.

Two of the skills that I have been asked to do on a check out dive:
1. Fin pivoting to demonstrate neutral buoyancy.
2. Breathing off the octo from the buddy and vica versa.

Everyone paid because it was the first dive of a pre-paid liveaborad package.
I would imagine there isn't that much fin pivoting anymore since just being neutral from the start of training seems to be the way it's going. As far as octo breathing with buddy, did you go through the "official" steps that are taught in OW? If so, this would almost seem like a class setting. If anything more than just "grab the octo" takes place, that could be time consuming ...and interesting ....with once or twice a year vacation divers.

For warm water, rec diving, if a dive OP wants to start out at a benign site with something interesting to see and watch us paddle around, it's fine with me. If they take us to a poor site and want me to burn air watching everybody take off their mask, breathe on octos, and do fin pivots, then the dive should be on them, and they should make the requirement very clear prior to booking. Their shop/boat their rules, just be up front about it. No surprises. IMHO :)

I hate the cold, so all of my diving is "destination diving", usually on Live Aboards. I have found that often, the first dive will be a "check out' or refresher dive. Having said that, I have never had to demonstrate skills to someone who was evaluating me except on a course. The check out dive on a Live Aboard gives those of us who might only get in one trip a year a chance to double check our weight and to knock some of the rust off in a relatively calm location. It also (I think) gives the crew of the Live Aboard an opportunity to casually assess the skill level of the divers to see where they will be comfortable going during the trip.

Last edited:
Can't hurt. I practise oral inflation after every dive when rinsing the inside of the BCD.

You do this, really after EVERY DIVE? Never seen one doing this. Only after a dive vacation.

Yesterday regarding inforced the need for a weight check as part of the checkout dive.

We had just finished our morning dock dive when a checkout diver came back to the dock and asked if there was any extra weights available. YES! There was a tray full of 2s and 3a. What do you need? Maybe a 2. So I gave him a 2. He came back in a minute for more. So I gave him another 2. A few minutes later he was back for more. This time I traded him a air of 3s for a 2. Seems he was 8 pounds too light when he started. This is not even close for a Bonaire dive with no wetsuit.

You do this, really after EVERY DIVE? Never seen one doing this. Only after a dive vacation.
Absolutely. First I empty out all the salt water I possibly can. Then a little baby shampoo goes in with a tone of fresh water. Lots of shaking and multiple draining. Can't recall who first advised me of that, but my piece of crap BC bought as a newbie 12 years ago is still going (I won't say "going strong"....). Then next couple of days draining whatever has still collected in there--the last few drops. I even rinse my bathing suit after every dive, or every swim. Salt water and chlorine are the enemy of everything. I probably have some OCD here, and I guess I wouldn't worry so much if I had no problem (financially) replacing a BC after a few years.

Back
Top Bottom