Why, when & where do we do a checkout dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giffenk, I think the reason checkout dives arose from the other thread was because initially folks were wondering if the death was related to being overweighted or other gear failure, and perhaps a failure to do the checkout dive. Not the case, as it turns out. Even so, this is a good thread for Scubaboard discussion, don't you think?

I had came across divers who treated the check out dive as an "insult" to his/her diving ability! Some would even went further by suggesting the check out dive should be FREE!!!!!

LOL, sometimes I'd almost agree with that. If I have to prove skills I've had mastered for 20 years in a reef damaged fish barren cess pool site, then ya, I think it should be free! :wink:

"we" do a checkout /shakedown dive anytime we have new bits AND as the first dive of every vacation diver trip. "they" ask us to perform a checkout dive for the first dive of every vacation trip. These mostly match, they do not always align, but no real issues. We are on vacation. Relax!

All of the vacation dive ops we use stress that the first dive is a checkout dive. This does not mean the dive site is crap, in general it is as good as any other site we see all week. The "checkout" reminder seems to be more of a mental flag to pay attention (which you should always be doing). But they only seem to stress weights. No basic kneel on the bottom skills demo (thank you!). This attitude makes sense as lots of divers seem to require some weight tuning (different wetsuit, more bioprene, forgot my weight from last trip a year ago,...)

I now believe that competent dive ops treat the check out dive as an informal test of diver competency. On a recent trip we had a certified rescue diver panic in 35 feet of clear caribbean water on the checkout dive.

I treat the first dive of every trip as a checkout dive and always leave the camera behind. If we have a new piece of gear we try to not employ it until a few dives in, if possible.

A few years ago my divebuddy purchased a new prescription mask. She used her old mask for the first day and we planned a specific dive on the second day to test out the new mask. We did a buddy pair shore dive and I left my camera behind. This dive was to test out the new mask (strange bifocal mess) to make sure it was comfortable, did not leak and allowed her to see things. Pre-dive we discussed what issues may cause an abort - leaking was yes, uncomfortable was a no and i can't see squat was a maybe...)

P.S. IMHO a checkout dive had nothing to do with the other thread...

I rather have a "heart attack" & have a chance to be rescued or recovered in a 20-40 fsw bottom than in 200+ fsw bottom, not adding stress to the rescuers for potential bent in doing their job, the stress & sorrow to the love ones I'd leave behind.

Last edited:
I rather have a "heart attack" & have a chance to be rescued or recovered in a 20-40 FAQ bottom than in 200+ fsw bottom, not adding stress to the rescuers for potential bent in doing their job, the stress & sorrow to the love ones I'd leave behind.

Then you might want to stay away from deep water, ALWAYS.

Then you might want to stay away from deep water, ALWAYS.

Oops, my "too smart" iPhone spell checker corrected "fsw" with "FAQ" :D

I'm a warm-water vacation diver, like to see fish, critters & colorful corals with plenty of lights to see them. There is nothing interest me in the deep dark water anyway. That works out well for me. Besides, I'm not "there" (72+ yo with "heart problem"), yet. When that time comes, hopefully I'll be wiser & more cautious on my diving actions / attitudes.

I did make a 144' (44m) dive in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida, Bali, Indonesia a couple years ago, once, just because I saw that 20' Mola-Mola there, being cleaned by a couple emperor angelfish (see my avatar), under a closely watch of a DM just in case I got "narked" & did strange thing down in the deep.

LOL, sometimes I'd almost agree with that. If I have to prove skills I've had mastered for 20 years in a reef damaged fish barren cess pool site, then ya, I think it should be free! :wink:
In discussing the "free" idea-- Whether or not there is a required checkout/shakedown dive required by the op should be disclosed and agreed upon before signing up for the trip/dives. It has been pointed out in previous threads the big beef is that people don't know about the checkout requirement until they fly 2,000 miles to there. What happens, what is included in the fees should be agreed upon IN WRITING before the trip. I've taken only one tropical dive vacation, but found out when I got there the op owner's wife (who ran the "hotel") wasn't too pleased with my shell collecting--I pointed to the e mails from her daughter (who arranged the trip) that she said it was fine. End of argument.

I agree about not having to clear a mask for someone, as I mentioned previously--Who goes diving that can't do that? But, if it's agreed upon ahead of time that such things do or don't occur, there is no argument.

Not to belabor the point, but on that same trip I had been told that there was shore diving as well. I wasn't told that being with the DM was required. Then I was given a bill for two $50 shore dives. I also hadn't been told that there was a fee for the DM (don't get me wrong, as a DM myself I certainly wouldn't expect a DM to work for free, but was under the impression the DM was just buddying with me as a pleasure dive for himself as well). Since I refused to pay, I assume the dive op paid him for his services on those 2 dives. If I ever go on another tropical week trip I will ask even more questions as to the particulars.

Last edited:
20 years ago or so, I used to care and even become somewhat offended that these kids at the dive ops didn't respect the knowledge and experience that a certificate issued in 1966 implied. Today, I care a lot less about such things. I seem to get more respect. If you really want me to take off my mask, just ask.

I don't mind doing the mask removal to see my gauges (SPG, depth gauge, dive computer, etc.) & breathe underwater without mask during checkout dive, as I haven't done enough of such practice to be comfortable.

I like to remind myself about the following scenario:
A diver above me accidentally knocks off my mask with his / her fin. I get disoriented & dazed before I realize that my mask has sunk to the abyss in 60 fsw. I have to thumb the dive, ascend without mask (limited visibility) to the surface. "Hopefully" my buddy will be there to ascend together, otherwise I would need to figure out how to see my depth gauge (dive computer) and when to do the 3-minute safety stop. Would I be able to perform the task under such stressful situation?

Last edited:
I don't mind doing the mask removal to see my gauges (SPG, depth gauge, dive computer, etc.) & breathe underwater without mask during checkout dive, as I haven't done enough of such practice to be comfortable.

I like to remind myself about the following scenario:
A diver above me accidentally knocks off my mask with his / her fin. I get disoriented & dazed before I realize that my mask has sunk to the abyss in 60 fsw. I have to thumb the dive, ascend without mask (limited visibility) to the surface. "Hopefully" my buddy will be there to ascend together, otherwise I would need to figure out how to see my depth gauge (dive computer) and when to do the 3-minute safety stop. Would I be able to perform the task under such stressful situation?
I understand your point. From what I read on SB, these "checkout" dives don't include stuff like the ascending maskless scenario you describe. I could well be wrong. Either way, it's easy to just practise maskless and other (non buddy) skills on your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom