Why was I censored?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On another thread a moderator (hint to why I was censored?) have a disagreement about the use of full face masks for recreational open water diving.

I posted the following:
"As I said, to each his own. Hopefully the poster will get adequate training and an honest assessment of the risks involved rather then reading only the risks outlined in this post which, apparently, there are none whatsoever."

The post was edited by NetDoc to remove the word "honest".

Apparently the moderator thought I was insulting him, contacted someone, and the word was removed. No insult was intended, but of course I have no say in how the moderator read it.

I completely understand that this is a private moderated board, and you've got every right in the world to remove posts, but if someone (preferably NetDoc) could explain the reasoning behind changing my words, I would sure appreciate it. Just trying to figure out the ground rules. For example, my experience has been insulted (it's OK, I can handle it), but if I complain would those references be removed?

Thanks

"honest" and "assesment" go together like "penut butter" and "jelly"!
BOOOOOOOO!

I got whacked for using the word stroke in a post. Was told it was not an acceptable term. Now,, I have seen that word used time and again on this board, with no actions taken. Why mine????? Like you said, your'e at the mercy of a personality. Most times they do a great job, but every once in a while........?????

Have you been contacted by a mod regarding this?

Normally when someone's post gets edited, they are told why.

Chris,
I haven't been following the thread to which you refer, but may I offer an observation?

There is such a term as "mutually exclusionary". Your reference states that you would like an "honest" answer to a question. By stating that you want an "honest" answer, your inference is that the answer given was "dishonest".

I'm sure this doesn't answer your question, but it's a matter of semantics and inference.

the Kraken

The Kraken:
Chris,
I haven't been following the thread to which you refer, but may I offer an observation?

There is such a term as "mutually exclusionary". Your reference states that you would like an "honest" answer to a question. By stating that you want an "honest" answer, your inference is that the answer given was "dishonest".

I'm sure this doesn't answer your question, but it's a matter of semantics and inference.

the Kraken

I guess that's the point.... are the uber mods really going around and interpreting "semantics and inference" in every post rather than excluding really bad words or insulting, like strokes and Christmas? I presume it had something more to do with a PM, rather than an uber mod's interpretation. Just trying to get the lay of the land here......I'm not on any other moderated boards, most tend to let the disagreements play out. And I would MUCH prefer a deletion of the post rather than selective deletion of words, which could lead to some really interesting results....

ChrisM:
I presume it had something more to do with a PM, rather than an uber mod's interpretation.
Mods usually act when triggered by a reported post or PM. There are just too many threads to read...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom