Why was I censored?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been a moderator on the ScubaBoard for very long, but I've been kicking up dust for more years than I think I really have a right to.

Over the years one thing I've learned is that we don't all communicate in the same manner. One other thing I've learned is that sometimes I'm the master of Understatement!

There are so many, many time here on the ScubaBoard that I want to make a statement, but I try always to fall back on that old axiom, "Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion."

Don't get me wrong, I'm condemning no one here.

Unfortunately our whole society is becoming so hyper-sensitive that sometimes I wish I were simply mute!!!

When implying that someone's answer was not honest is tantamount to calling the resondent a liar.

Yes, I know it's splitting hairs, but there ya are.

I'm sure this doesn't make you feel any better, but it's the best I can do.

Safe dives . . . . .
. . . safer ascents . . . for all your life

the Kraken

Um Himmels willen, Herr Orens . . . das ist ausserordernliche !!

the Kraken - I actually agree with you. And in context, it's not really an "honest" versus being a liar (heck, maybe it was taken that way), but I assume more like "honest" versus "leaving something out" Maybe a lie by omission then? If this person thought their assessment was truly honest, as in "here's a short rundown of the risks involved," then I would be shocked. I don't know, but I am finding this very fascinating (or, perhaps, work is just very boring today).

The Kraken:
Chris,
There is such a term as "mutually exclusionary". Your reference states that you would like an "honest" answer to a question. By stating that you want an "honest" answer, your inference is that the answer given was "dishonest".
and sometimes people are just redundant or wordy...

Ya know, Chris, there are so many things involved with scuba diving that sometimes it's almost impossible to answer a question without going into another three or four chapters of discussion.

I agree, sometimes the error of "omission" is not a sin, it's just more expedient.

Thanks for your understanding.

the Kraken

ChrisM,

I thought I had PMed you, but when I checked my mail it appears that I did not hit "send". My apologies.

However, minus several hundred goodwill points for not PMing me directly. It appears that you just want to rant and not resolve, which is why you are making a public whine about this.

As for stroke: it's one of those words that I wish we could put on the automatic censor. Unfortunately, it has useful applications as well as perjorative. It can be used in jest as well as in meanness. The former sometimes gets mistaken for the latter and if there is any question, it normally get's pulled.

There is a link at the bottom left of every post that has a ! in it. It is the Report Bad Post link and is used to alert us of problematic posts. Use it when neccesary and please be descriptive about what is wrong and why. We don't want to be pedantic, but we do want to keep things friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom