Why use a P-Valve QD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henrik, Is there any functional advantage to the 2" short hose compared to connecting directly to the cath with a male QD barb connector? I'm thinking the short hose is just for modesty reasons?

As JahJah pointed out, the QD makes for much quicker connect/disconnect when needed, as well as the modesty when "plumbing up".

It also allows you to take care of the trickier part of cath application and connecting when you want and where you can do so comfortably.

Last but not least, it helps prevent or at least minimize spills when disconnecting - if you use QD with valves.

Henrik

As JahJah pointed out, the QD makes for much quicker connect/disconnect when needed, as well as the modesty when "plumbing up".

It also allows you to take care of the trickier part of cath application and connecting when you want and where you can do so comfortably.

Last but not least, it helps prevent or at least minimize spills when disconnecting - if you use QD with valves.

Henrik

I understand all that, and I am using a QD with a valve.

My question was about the 2"-3" piece of hose from the cath to the QD valve. Is there any functional advantage to that short piece of hose?

Sorry, I misunderstood.

In that case - yeah, modesty really, and to some extent ease of connecting.

Henrik

OK, so you want a QD with a stopper at both ends for convenience and modesty. The downside is you have to remove the hose barb/short hose/½ the QD from the catheter to use the vessels' head on long surface intervals, or stay fully suited up and go for a swim. I wonder if a QD stopper at the P-valve end and a manual valve plus an open QD at the catheter end would be worth considering?

I have a short (2-3") piece of norprene hose with a barb connector on one end which goes into the cath. The other end of this short hose has a male QD connector without shout-off valve. That way I can still"go" without removing the hose or cath, and without having to connect.

OK, so you want a QD with a stopper at both ends for convenience and modesty. The downside is you have to remove the hose barb/short hose/½ the QD from the catheter to use the vessels' head on long surface intervals, or stay fully suited up and go for a swim. I wonder if a QD stopper at the P-valve end and a manual valve plus an open QD at the catheter end would be worth considering?

... no shut-off valve on the male QD on the short connector piece ... :)

Henrik

Back
Top Bottom