Why the red and white "Diver down" flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea and the United States Inland Navigation Rules provide for an elaborate series of day-shapes and lights to be displayed by large vessels whose maneuverability is restricted by the conduct of underwater operations, such as cable-laying, dredging, or conducting diving operations. Smaller vessels that are not able to hoist the complex signals used by large ships are instead required to display a rigid version of the International Code of Signals flag for the letter "A," known as ALFA, at least one meter high if diving operations restrict their ability to maneuver. Not all boats from which divers are swimming are necessarily so restricted. Generally, only vessels to which the divers are physically connected by communication lines, air hoses, or the like are affected by this requirement. It does not apply to most instances of sport diving, where the divers are swimming free of the vessel. As recent Coast Guard Notices to Mariners emphasize: "The ALFA flag is a navigational signal intended to protect the vessel from collision."

If we merge the two stories of the beginning of the diver down flag, we have one continuous two part story.

The first part tells of Dockery designing it, with his involvement with it really ending when Ted Nixon offered to promote it on a national level. The second part begins with Ted Nixon promoting it on a national level and then continues on from there.

Last edited:
This is totally irrelevant to the discussion, but I like the red and white flag the best because the color works well on my nails!

DiveFlag003.jpg

DiveFlag002.jpg

But one time there was an older gentleman staying at the resort who told me that he liked my dive flag nails so much that he decided to replicate them on himself - but it wasn't a good look on him IMO!

DiveFlag004.jpg

DiveFlag005.jpg

Last edited:
But one time there was an older gentleman staying at the resort who told me that he liked my dive flag nails so much that he decided to replicate them on himself - but it wasn't a good look on him!

View attachment 448858

View attachment 448859
Ken Kimmey, once Captain of the Turks and Caicos Explorer, had diver-flag toenails. Looked good.

The 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea and the United States Inland Navigation Rules provide for an elaborate series of day-shapes and lights to be displayed by large vessels whose maneuverability is restricted by the conduct of underwater operations, such as cable-laying, dredging, or conducting diving operations. Smaller vessels that are not able to hoist the complex signals used by large ships are instead required to display a rigid version of the International Code of Signals flag for the letter "A," known as ALFA, at least one meter high if diving operations restrict their ability to maneuver. Not all boats from which divers are swimming are necessarily so restricted. Generally, only vessels to which the divers are physically connected by communication lines, air hoses, or the like are affected by this requirement. It does not apply to most instances of sport diving, where the divers are swimming free of the vessel. As recent Coast Guard Notices to Mariners emphasize: "The ALFA flag is a navigational signal intended to protect the vessel from collision."

Two flags are mandated for display in most parts of the United States and Canada when a boat or ship has divers in the water. Considerable confusion exists as to the differences between these two flags, if any, and why a dive boat has to use two separate signals. In fact, the two flags serve quite different purposes.

The 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea and the United States Inland Navigation Rules provide for an elaborate series of day-shapes and lights to be displayed by large vessels whose maneuverability is restricted by the conduct of underwater operations, such as cable-laying, dredging, or conducting diving operations. Smaller vessels that are not able to hoist the complex signals used by large ships are instead required to display a rigid version of the International Code of Signals flag for the letter "A," known as ALFA, at least one meter high if diving operations restrict their ability to maneuver. Not all boats from which divers are swimming are necessarily so restricted. Generally, only vessels to which the divers are physically connected by communication lines, air hoses, or the like are affected by this requirement. It does not apply to most instances of sports diving, where the divers are swimming free of the vessel. A recent Coast Guard Notices to Mariners emphasize: "The ALFA flag is a navigational signal intended to protect the vessel from a collision."

By contrast, the red and white diver-down flag, originally devised in about 1957, is intended to protect divers themselves. This flag is often referred to as unofficial or voluntary because it is not mandated by the international or inland rules of the road. This assertion is erroneous. The use of the diver down flag is required by state law or regulation in virtually every state of the Union, as well as by various Federal agencies exercising jurisdiction over waters where diving takes place (such as the National Park Service) and by the Canadian Occupational Safety and Health Regulation. Typically, the laws or regulations on the use of this flag require drivers to display the flag and to remain within a specified distance of it when they are near the surface. This often means the flag is best mounted on a float or buoy near the actual dive point rather than on the boat itself. Restrictions vary from state to state but typically include a zone around the flag where no other boats are allowed and a second, larger zone in which their speed is limited. A number of states also prohibit the display of the diver-down flag when a diver is not actually in the water.

The ALFA flag was originally used for communications in 1902, NOT for divers. For myself, I don't give a damn what they do in the EU.

There is a timing disparity. As near as I can tell, the Apha Flag meaning began as a warning that the vessel displaying it had limited ability to navigate. I picked up a US Navy Blue Jacket's Manual from the 1940s that will give me the exact wording -- once I dig it up. I'm pretty sure that the official maritime designation for diving operations on stationary vessels didn't happen until 1972.

I have also seen indications in old US Navy Diving Manuals to include the Bravo flag in their kit before the 1950s (Baker Flag in those days). It basically warns vessels to stay clear because "I am taking on or discharging or carrying dangerous goods." It was originally used by the Royal Navy for transferring explosives. I suppose a Pirate's skull and crossbones could be used as a "stay clear" warning -- especially if it was mounted to a few of these:

upload_2018-3-3_16-53-12.png

The point is that there was no designation for diving operations in the maritime or military community in the 1950s when the red and white flag was proposed.

The Alpha flag denotes a vessel that can't maneuver or is constrained from moving. This could be due to divers connected to the boat via air and communication lines, but it indicates a condition of the vessel.

The Diver Down flag is not a nationally or internationally recognised flag and has different rules for every state. It is not regulated by the Coast Gaurd. Why? It's not a vessel flag. It doesn't indicate a condition the vessel is in. It's all about the divers. In Florida, divers outside the state line are not required to use a Divers Down Flag. However, within state lines, we have the strongest laws concerning the use of the Divers Down Flag. Recently, it was amended to include 3D flags such as the Goumba dive flag. Divers are required to stay within 100 ft of a Divers Down Flag be it on a boat or a float. Boats are required to be under steerage if they are within 300 ft of a Divers Down Flag. There are caveats if there isn't enough room.

I’ve been diving in Indonesia for about 10 years & have never seen the blue & white alpha flag being used. I learnt about it here after reading this thread.

All I see there is the red with white diagonal stripe, which they commonly call it diver flag or DAN flag. They even use it as a dive site location in a map.

So it’s not unique to North America. Most Indonesian boaters probably don’t know what the alpha flag is for.

FAF12F42-06EE-40A0-AB69-1BCBA6CCE167.jpeg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom