Why the red and white "Diver down" flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As can easily be seen from the previous posts, standards vary across the world. But in my part of said world, the alpha flag is required for boats having a diver down. No matter if they're private or commercial. The red/white flag is seen on freedivers' floats, but hardly (if ever) in other situations.
I understand that. My question is, has anyone seen/used themselves of using an alpha flag when not diving from a boat.

My question is, has anyone seen/used themselves of using an alpha flag when not diving from a boat.
I - as well as my club, and all other clubs I'm familiar with - always fly the alpha flag when we're diving. Also from the shore if we're shore diving, as we're sort of (at least in principle) expecting¹ boats in the neighborhood to understand and respect it.

¹ "expecting" as in 'they bloody well should..' not as in 'we assume they will'.

Last edited:
I - as well as my club, and all other clubs I'm familiar with - always fly the alpha flag when we're diving. Also from the shore if we're shore diving, as we're sort of (at least in principle) expecting boats in the neighborhood to understand and respect it.
Thanks. That's what I was asking.

Although an American, I have lived and worked in three different countries in Europe and have dived on all continents. I am always embarrassed by the American assumption that the red-and-white flag is the only divers flag, or at least must predate any other flag, or if it doesn't predate it, it must somehow have priority anyway. One should note that the blue-and-white flag was recognized in 1901 as Alpha, and is the international maritime standard (and US Coast Guard and US Navy standard) for diver down. Yes, the US red-and-white flag is distinctive, seems to have spread to many places, and is embedded in the laws of many US states, who really don't care about international standards I suppose. Hey, we still use feet and pounds, too. To be safe, using BOTH flags would seem to be prudent.

Is the alpha flag used on a float for drift diving anywhere or is it just flown from the boat or from shore?
Floats aren't particularly common around here. Neither is the red/white diver down flag. The combination is... never seen by me, at least. I have the impression that freedivers might have a float with the red/white flag on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom