Why the Prejudice about DIR or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was not offensive it just sounded like you where going to tell us the "best way" to dive not what you think might be the best. Many DIR fans do make it sound like you need to do it this way or you are going to die.

Soggy:
I'm sorry you feel that way. I can't imagine what you found offensive about the post you quoted, but you are welcome to be offended by it. Why else would we be here than to learn about diving?

While I don't think I am a better diver than everyone, I do think that a *lot* of people don't use their heads, try to come up with solutions to non-existent problems, add gear to solve skill issues, and generally don't think things through. There are many ways to skin a cat, but using a spork probably isn't the best way.

I'm on this board to discuss diving. You may or may not like my opinions about it just as I may or may not like yours. I'm not big on being PC or indirect and that is probably what you see come through in my posts.

H2Andy:
DIR is hogarthian, with a more cohesive set of requirements

So in Newspeak (Brave new world), DIR would be dropped, and instead be called Hogarthian double plus. got it! thanks!

'stroke' is like 'b!tch'. take back the word, people!! everybody get it embroidered on your slap strap! (makes for interesing conversations at the dive site, and jj will stare at the back of your head...)

JahJahwarrior:
So in Newspeak (Brave new world), DIR would be dropped, and instead be called Hogarthian double plus. got it! thanks!

well... it would be called "Hogarthian as further developed by Irwin and Jablonski (who got the credit) and other lesser known (but not lesser) divers in the WKPP"

BabyDuck:
'stroke' is like 'b!tch'.

oooooh! i get to be a diving pimp daddy

where's my big hat?

H2Andy:
nope...

the slogan is "the way the world learns to dive"

"the way" implies there is no other.

if "Doing it Right" is offensive, then you should take offense with PADI.

grammatically, "Do it RIght" is not an exclusive statement. "The only way to Do it Right" would be.

Interesting. I've looked at Padi's slogan that way but I see your point. But knowing Padi, I think you're looking at it wrong. Padi is interested in getting as many people certified as possible to make the most money possible. Right? That being said, it's more likely they simple mean to imply that their agency by which the world learns to dive. I think it's less about advocating a technique and more "everyone dive Padi and so should you".

Thalassamania: Didn't you just make the point that the _entire_ system needs to be looked at as a whole? And it's that really the crux of the DIR system?

:)

BTW, as far as finding the octo, I'll take the bungie 2nd on the short hose over the standard 'octo' any day. And the percentages that come with losing it. IMO, looking at the entire setup, when you have a bungied secondary, it's important that your connections are secure. FWIW, I personally tested mine, I know how much force is require to pull my secondary from it's bungie and it's a fair bit. :)

Bigcape:
BTW: What is the difference between HOGARTHIAN and DIR?

Not much... yet a whole lot.

People will say that Hog = gear config whereas DIR is the whole enchilada. But I don't believe that is right. Unfortunately, Hog has no leader... no group that formally defines what it is all about. That leaves it open to all kinds of personal interpretation.

I like to think that GUE and the DIR folks are the protectors of the Hog ideals. They try to get away from it... but they can't escape that responsibility. It is quite ironic, actually.

andy, we'll get you a hat, baby...though we could just embroider 'pimp daddy' on your slap strap & get the point across.

jeraldjcook:
But knowing Padi, I think you're looking at it wrong.

oh, don't get me wrong. i don't think that's what PADI means either

i was just saying that if you interpert one slogan that way, then why not the other?

BabyDuck:
andy, we'll get you a hat, baby...though we could just embroider 'pimp daddy' on your slap strap & get the point across.

i think the hat has a certain, je ne sais quoi ... tradition, if you will?

if ya gonna go pimpin' might as well do it old school

jeckyll:
Thalassamania: Didn't you just make the point that the _entire_ system needs to be looked at as a whole? And it's that really the crux of the DIR system?
The problem is, it appears to me, that pieces of the entire system have been looked at through distortions of a few rather bizarre accidents/incidents which have yielded conclusions that have become dogma. I recognize this in my own system where the bungee auxiliary is anathema as a result of an “incident” that I’ve never been able to document actually occurred (early days of diving, single hose regulator with a mask strap, OOA, victim tried to grab it, strap snapped back, broke the donor’s jaw and he drowned).

jeckyll:
BTW, as far as finding the octo, I'll take the bungie 2nd on the short hose over the standard 'octo' any day. And the percentages that come with losing it. IMO, looking at the entire setup, when you have a bungied secondary, it's important that your connections are secure. FWIW, I personally tested mine, I know how much force is require to pull my secondary from it's bungie and it's a fair bit.
I’m not suggesting or panning a standard octo, it has it’s advantages and its drawbacks and is not my method of choice, but that's another discussion that I think we've had several times.

If it's planned for then it's never an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom