Why Steel hold More Gas than AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5000psi is usally when the burst disc goes.. an al can be filled to 500psi.. just I wouldn't want to be the one filling nor the one using..... you never know when it will go Kaboom :p Also have to think what pressure tanks are hydroed at.....

There are composit tanks rated for very high presure (6000?) but I haven't used any.

'They' say that an instructor once filled an AL80 to 11,000 psi with a Haskel.....if you had the nerve to dive it, that would be equivilant to 284 cf, or 3 2/3 'normally' filled 80s.

spectrum:
Maybe in Europe? I know I've heard of higher than our 3443/230 BAR stuff.

Either 5000 PSI or 4500 PSI/300 BAR

Makes you wonder what those cave divers pump them up to!

In any case for a discussion that seemed more geared towards tank capacity physics I didn't want to dig a deeper hole.

Pete

In Europe tanks are rated 200bar/230bar and 300bar. 200bar tanks are steels and al's with either DIN/lp or yoke valves. The filling pressure is max 230bar due the compressor safety valve setting. 300bar steels (with DIN/hp valve) are filled accordingly to 330bar. After cooling down the actual pressure comes down around 10% (from 230 to~210 and 330 to~300).
200bar ~3000psi
300bar ~4500psi
Gas mixes are made only in 200bar tanks (cave divers!).
1psi=0,06895bar
Tank sizes are in litres at 1 bar (8,10,12,15 :most common ones)

teknitroxdiver:
'They' say that an instructor once filled an AL80 to 11,000 psi with a Haskel.....if you had the nerve to dive it, that would be equivilant to 284 cf, or 3 2/3 'normally' filled 80s.

What do "they" say happened to said instructor??? Since he only did it once... :wink:

I would somehow think of a very unhappy first stage, getting whapped with 11000 PSI...

(it might have made the tank-shooting evolution more fun, though :)

kidspot:
What do "they" say happened to said instructor??? Since he only did it once... :wink:
Apparently he was not injured. The tank was later destroyed, by a means unknown to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom