Why Steel Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a serious note, the advise I did post is correct depending on which training organization you follow. That's a personal decision. For me if I'm diving steel tanks I'll wear my drysuit. You can carry your lift bag or use your double bladder wing... It just isn't for me, and not because a training organization says so... because it makes sense to me.

I've been meaning to ask why you don't dive your double bladder wing anymore after taking DSAT Tech 50.

On a serious note, the advise I did post is correct depending on which training organization you follow. That's a personal decision. For me if I'm diving steel tanks I'll wear my drysuit. You can carry your lift bag or use your double bladder wing... It just isn't for me, and not because a training organization says so... because it makes sense to me.

I advise that when you give advice, you think freely, and not follow blindly as to what an agency says. We're free thinking individuals. Who also know how to spell and check our grammar.

Here's a little lesson about forums. When people use sarcasm, they often accompany it with smileys like this one :homealone:

or this one :wink:

Since you can't hear the tone of my voice, and the sarcasm that I use, you might think that I'm being an ass. Or I might think that you're being one.

For example, on a forum, I might say, "don't drink the kool aid, it will rot your brain" :wink:

and you might understand that I'm using sarcasm, or you might not?

You're right. I have absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. I just dive every day, and then spend the rest of my time on ScubaBoard, looking for trolls to swat around, and think that I'm a jerk. :shortbus:

(That's sarcasm) :wink:

You're right. I have absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. I just dive every day, and then spend the rest of my time on ScubaBoard, looking for trolls to swat around, and think that I'm a jerk. :shortbus:

There is a one jerk per thread limit, I already nominated StreetDoc. This thread is not big enough for the two...three....four....or however many [-]of us[/-] are posting in this thread.

I advise that when you give advice, you think freely, and not follow blindly as to what an agency says. We're free thinking individuals. Who also know how to spell and check our grammar.

Here's a little lesson about forums. When people use sarcasm, they often accompany it with smileys like this one :homealone:

or this one :wink:

Since you can't hear the tone of my voice, and the sarcasm that I use, you might think that I'm being an ass. Or I might think that you're being one.

For example, on a forum, I might say, "don't drink the kool aid, it will rot your brain" :wink:

and you might understand that I'm using sarcasm, or you might not?

Apparently you can't read either...

And REMEMBER....

internet_serious_business_framed.jpg

I guess this isn't a big enough display of sarcasm?

Originally Posted by StreetDoctor
On a serious note, the advise I did post is correct depending on which training organization you follow. That's a personal decision. For me if I'm diving steel tanks I'll wear my drysuit. You can carry your lift bag or use your double bladder wing... It just isn't for me, and not because a training organization says so... because it makes sense to me

I enlarged my previous post for you in case you forgot your reading glasses.

I said doubles. Most people can swim up 10lbs from depth... So let's do the math.

Double HP100's -4 empty -20 full
Regs -4
Manifold/Bands -5
Let's assume AL BP -2/-3
and you've ditched your cannister light

That's -15 to -16 with empty tanks or -31 to -32 with full tanks. At depth your wetsuit compresses and looses the majority of it's buoyancy that it provides at the surface, so if it provides +10 on the surface it won't be anywhere near that at depth.

In a single setup you're looking at having a rig that's about -8lbs empty or -16 with a full tank not accounting for the compressed wetsuit at depth. Most likely you're only swimming up around -5lbs with the compressed wetsuit and an empty tank. Of course the shallower you get the more buoyant your suit will become.
I routinely dive double steel 100s with a wetsuit. Sure, I'm negative when they're empty. That's why I carry a lift bag and an smb. No big deal.

I routinely dive double steel 100s with a wetsuit. Sure, I'm negative when they're empty. That's why I carry a lift bag and an smb. No big deal.

you must practice shooting bags quite a bit, I haven't timed myself but think I would be better off in cement shoes....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom