Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy the required hardware and go to your local fire dept.

At least locally to me, there are clubs that have their own compressors... and boats... and instructors, etc.

A pot is sooo not a kettle, You should have spent more time describing what you wanted to the guy that makes a

living out of selling scuba equipment and expects you to be a return customer based on his expertise.......................................NOT!!!

Nice ownage!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind of what I thought. If they make their money on being the one who sales the products they should label them as such :) I mean if I went to the store and asked for a pound of ham I want ham not turkey labeled ham :)

But I call things as they are presented and its a reel in its presentation. if they are otherwise then it was someone else muddying the water. I am only the delivery man :)

Kind of what I thought. If they make their money on being the one who sales the products they should label them as such :) I mean if I went to the store and asked for a pound of ham I want ham not turkey labeled ham :)

But I call things as they are presented and its a reel in its presentation. if they are otherwise then it was someone else muddying the water. I am only the delivery man :)

Maybe it is just different terminology in different areas. Locally to me, what you bought is called a spool. A reel has a little knob on the side (or there are variations of this) that allow it to be wound up as well as a handle. Like so:

HalcyonPathfinderReel.jpg

that is true :) It is a spool. Now the diffrence between what people consider reels and spools is so marginal its not that big of a deal but spools generaly are products rolled up and dispensed perminently. A spool of thread, a spool of yarn, a spool of fishing line are examples. Now a reel is an item designed to dispense an item and retract into the same dispenser it was expended from.

So in simple terms a reel is something that retracts the same item it dispenses.

But to each their own :)

that is true :) It is a spool. Now the diffrence between what people consider reels and spools is so marginal its not that big of a deal

They usually serve different purposes though in diving. And reels are quite a great deal more expensive than spools. I use a spool for my SMB and a reel for running line.

Dude, there is a big difference in the Scuba world.

With a 100 plus dives, you really should have put 2 and 2 together. I doubt your LDS would think anybody naive enough to pay 60 bucks for a finger spool.

Here is the LP lnk. Most reels run 40 bucks and up. http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_965/Page_2/Reels/969.html
There is that cheap one for 22 bucks I hesitate to recommend but for specific situations.

And like I said, most LDS will comp a finger spool when you buy a decent DSMB. I use a spool on my smaller bag, but use a Manta reel for my 40 and 50 # markers. $130.00 or so. B ut who's counting when I have to surface in the gulfstream a mile or so off shore.

Splitlip Im sorry this turned into a debate so what I will say rather then debate it is that when I explained what I was looking for I stated exactly. "Im looking for a line that rolls up and you can tuck into your BCD. This line would be used for a signaling device that could be inflated at depth and released to the surface. I would like this line to be utilized for that purpose" His response was I would need a finger reel. Regardless of if I needed a reel, a spool, a crane I was directed to this "Device" When I asked the cost it was quoted $60.00. Now I know dive shops have to make their money but in light of this I as a person who has to pay utilities, insurances, food and other needs I have to save money and make the most of what I have. They need to make a profit I need to save money for rainy days.

I looked up "Finger reel" and I found it on Leisurepro at $12.95. Now people can claime I should have put 2 and 2 together but the truth is you dont have to put anything together all you need is to know what you need. You can do various things to accomplish these needs such as go in and pay the rediculous $60 dollars or you can go to the hardware store and buy some rope and any type of device that you are comfortable to use.

Sas it was good to hear from you again and hope your diving is great! Everyone else be safe out there

Last edited:
again regardless of what you may think every piece of your dive gear is life support equipment if you do not believe that stay out of the water, when everything goes South your buddy or another diver needs to cover your ass.

If scuba gear were truly "life support" equipment, there would be a lot of dead divers around. And the sale and servicing of this gear would have so much liability attached to it that it would certainly take a license, issued by a government agency, just like being a medical doctor. A heart/lung machine is "life support." A scuba regulator is a piece of recreational gear.

Further, even basic scuba training includes multiple strategies on how do deal with gear failure; I would think this would be very clear to you as an instructor. Nearly every diver eventually has some sort of gear failure and lives to tell about it. In your own post above you mention that "your buddy or another diver needs to cover your ass" which basically says that gear failure is not fatal as long as you have a buddy.

I can't count the number of times I've heard the "life support" bit used as a means of getting someone to buy more expensive gear. "Isn't your life worth it?"....that's the classic line.

If scuba gear were truly "life support" equipment, there would be a lot of dead divers around. And the sale and servicing of this gear would have so much liability attached to it that it would certainly take a license, issued by a government agency, just like being a medical doctor. A heart/lung machine is "life support." A scuba regulator is a piece of recreational gear.

Further, even basic scuba training includes multiple strategies on how do deal with gear failure; I would think this would be very clear to you as an instructor. Nearly every diver eventually has some sort of gear failure and lives to tell about it. In your own post above you mention that "your buddy or another diver needs to cover your ass" which basically says that gear failure is not fatal as long as you have a buddy.

I can't count the number of times I've heard the "life support" bit used as a means of getting someone to buy more expensive gear. "Isn't your life worth it?"....that's the classic line.

People die from mismanaging equipment failure, not from equipment failure itself. Therefore I agree that it should not be considered "life support". I know there are extreme dives done where one is quite dependent on their gear working but 99.999999% of divers are not going to do dives like this.

k_ellis, diving has been great, same to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom