Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's spool, not a reel. No matter what it is called at LP.

If you had told your LDS "spool", not reel, he might have given it you. (mine did when I bought the bag)
I told them reel and that is what they quoted :) I told them I only needed a line for my surface marker. Their reply was "A finger reel will run you 60 dollars. so as you see the waters are as clear as unlimited visibility with substantiated remarks :)

If they don't want my money for the little piece of gear, the mask strap or snorkel keeper or finstrap that they markup more than 500% (yes, that's right 500%!)
My point exactly!

well, when I was Nitrox certified, I actually had to really do Nitrox dives, and somehow it seemed like I was really doing something, analyzing real tanks, breathing real Nitrox, watching my dive computer do it's thing, displaying deco, N2 and O2 exposure, real MOD's, knowing there were real consequences to my actions in training, somehow these things are cheapened when it's just book learning.

There is zero reason to do nitrox dives as part of a nitrox course. All it is in practice, is following a dive plan, which you should already be doing with air.

I've learned lots of things in diving by reading a book. Just because it is found in a book doesn't mean it's not a proper way of learning. Such as how to use a drysuit. I read a few internet sites, asked a few friends some questions, then started diving with a drysuit.

With nitrox I did a class but I really learned nothing new about nitrox, that I hadn't already read on the internet. I was lucky that I had an instructor that taught a bunch of stuff outside nitrox, or else I would have felt the class a huge waste of time. I only did it so I could get a card to get nitrox fills, which I have only needed once to get nitrox endorsement on my Cavern card.

And a lot of my gear configuration, I got ideas off the internet, and gave them a go to see what worked. I set up my hose configuration after reading about a long hose setup online, I liked it more so I kept it. I learned how to make and fit a hogarthian harness, by reading about it online.

I have learned more by diving than reading from books, so I don't think you can learn everything just by learning theory, but most of what I have learned when actually diving was not via a class (with one or two exceptions).

I told them reel and that is what they quoted :) I told them I only needed a line for my surface marker. Their reply was "A finger reel will run you 60 dollars. so as you see the waters are as clear as unlimited visibility with substantiated remarks :)

A pot is sooo not a kettle, You should have spent more time describing what you wanted to the guy that makes a

living out of selling scuba equipment and expects you to be a return customer based on his expertise.......................................NOT!!!

Nice ownage!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares about "the sport"? As long as I have dive gear (and the stuff I have might very well last me the duration) and there are oceans, how is the sport going to die for me?

Well, it's kind of hard to play a match of SCUBA without any opponents.

Well, it's kind of hard to play a match of SCUBA without any opponents.
Isn't that what they teach you to do in solo classes?

How would they make good? Supply you with another possibly defective piece of equipment that you may take on a live aboard or a trip? Regarding life support I don't know what diving you enjoy but every piece of equipment I dive is exactly that.

I have never sold a diver a piece of equipment I would not dive, I understand that there are a number of cattle market operations but on the most part the shops I have dealt with would bend over backwards to help new divers and their clientel.

DIY depends on your skills, talents, commitment and intelligence, again regardless of what you may think every piece of your dive gear is life support equipment if you do not believe that stay out of the water, when everything goes South your buddy or another diver needs to cover your ass.

I've been stiffed twice by defective equipment ... both times it was "American" companies buying cheap crap in China and putting their brand name on it. Both times it was sold to me by a reputable dive shop ... neither of which was Leisurepro.

I'm a bit baffled by your logic. Given the details of the story it sounds like we're talking about BCDs that came from the same production line ... only one was branded ScubaPro and the other was not. How does that make the latter one "defective" ... seems like the only difference would be the name on the product.

Sounds to me like you're just bashing a competitor.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Where would we get our airfills if there were no LDS? Last I checked, those compressors and nitrox setups aren't exactly cost effective to put in one's garage at almost $22,000.

Buy the required hardware and go to your local fire dept.

You really can do it for about the price of a scooter.

Back
Top Bottom