Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not a "sad reality" it is a reality ... there is nothing to be learned by sucking down a tank of EAN that would not be learned sucking down a tank of air. All that nitrox divers really need to know how to do is to select the right mix, control their time, control their depth, and deal with OTUs ... that's about it. What does that take? An hour would be generous. The entire EAN Training industry is an artifact of the, "voodoo gas reaction," of PADI and a few other fools back when Rutkowski introduced it, it was amazing how quickly they changed their tune when they decided that it could be added (had to be added, since incorporating it into BOW, as it should have been, would be an admission of being nincompoops) as a separately priced product.

A sad reality was a mis quote on my part. I was trying to say that there is nothing that can be learned in water you cant learn in class. I agree that it only needs a short hour or so. Sorry for my misrepresentation

Unfortunately that is true. But the sad reality is in Nitrox you wont learn anything more by taking a diving class with Nitrox that you wont learn sitting in a class room.

well, when I was Nitrox certified, I actually had to really do Nitrox dives, and somehow it seemed like I was really doing something, analyzing real tanks, breathing real Nitrox, watching my dive computer do it's thing, displaying deco, N2 and O2 exposure, real MOD's, knowing there were real consequences to my actions in training, somehow these things are cheapened when it's just book learning.

Please share the link for a $12.00 reel. I cannot imagine.

edit:

You have a right to your opinion, but don't muddy the waters with unsubstantiated remarks.

I just went to LP. No such thing as a $12.00 reel. Anybody here with an ounce of sense would know that. Don't know why I wasted my time.

Reels | Scuba Dive Reels at LeisurePro.com

There's nothing to stop you from hiring an instructor to take you out and do whatever it is that you want to do, I think that's great, but I also suggest that in the case of EAN, it is totally unnecessary.

(Disclamer. I didn’t read the entire thread so this might be repetitive, if so my apologies)

Don’t want to support your LDS? Fine don’t. but then stay out when you need a last minute repair the day before a dive trip or some little piece of gear you forgot you need and don’t have time to order on line. Learn how to huff and puff real hard to fill your own tanks and spend $300 on the course so you can VIP them your self and track down a hydro facility and lug your tanks there yourself. Say something does go wrong with your gear, why hassle with calling the on line dealer and be just another number to them. When you buy local you gain the advantage of the shops long standing relation ships with gear suppliers and they might be able to get results faster than you can or resolve an issue when you can’t.

Then there’s the whole social issue. The owners and employees spend a lot of time setting up local dives, club activities and package trips. Sure you can go it alone for less sometimes but its way more fun with a group of friends.

BTW back in November less than a week before a trip I decided to get a new camera and housing. My “go to” on line retailer told me it would take two weeks or more to order what I wanted because they were out of stock. My LDS and camera store called Canon and Ikelite direct. I had my set up two days later at better prices then the on line retailer and no shipping fees. That’s the power of a good LDS.

It's refreshing to see someone else on this thread with a grip on reality !

Here it is -----> Compact Finger Spool Reel Sorry it went up a dollar since I bought mine :)

That's spool, not a reel. No matter what it is called at LP.

If you had told your LDS "spool", not reel, he might have given it you. (mine did when I bought the bag)

well, when I was Nitrox certified, I actually had to really do Nitrox dives, and somehow it seemed like I was really doing something, analyzing real tanks, breathing real Nitrox, watching my dive computer do it's thing, displaying deco, N2 and O2 exposure, real MOD's, knowing there were real consequences to my actions in training, somehow these things are cheapened when it's just book learning.

How did you make out in sex education class in HS?

(Disclamer. I didn’t read the entire thread so this might be repetitive, if so my apologies)

Don’t want to support your LDS? Fine don’t. but then stay out when you need a last minute repair the day before a dive trip or some little piece of gear you forgot you need and don’t have time to order on line. Learn how to huff and puff real hard to fill your own tanks and spend $300 on the course so you can VIP them your self and track down a hydro facility and lug your tanks there yourself. Say something does go wrong with your gear, why hassle with calling the on line dealer and be just another number to them. When you buy local you gain the advantage of the shops long standing relation ships with gear suppliers and they might be able to get results faster than you can or resolve an issue when you can’t.

Then there’s the whole social issue. The owners and employees spend a lot of time setting up local dives, club activities and package trips. Sure you can go it alone for less sometimes but its way more fun with a group of friends.

BTW back in November less than a week before a trip I decided to get a new camera and housing. My “go to” on line retailer told me it would take two weeks or more to order what I wanted because they were out of stock. My LDS and camera store called Canon and Ikelite direct. I had my set up two days later at better prices then the on line retailer and no shipping fees. That’s the power of a good LDS.
If I can't fix it, the shop sure as hell can't. If they don't want my money for the little piece of gear, the mask strap or snorkel keeper or finstrap that they markup more than 500% (yes, that's right 500%!) I'll be happy to get it somewhere else, filling my own tanks is rather easy ... and then I don't need a VIP course, and as far as hydros are concerned, anywhere that does fire extinguishers can do my bottles. I have little need for a shop that has a long-standing relationship with one or two suppliers and who has to move me to something in those limited lines that I may or may not want or need. As far as resolving problems ... I'm much faster at that than any shop you'll ever find.

If you need a shop for your social life ... knock yourself out, I don't and I sure don't want to be paying a whole lot more for my gear just you can have one.

I'm glad that you shop knows Ikelight's number (it's 317.923.4523) and I can assure you that Ikelight not only answers the phone but solves problems in a flash, even when it's just from an individual customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom