Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My short list of good shops, brick-n-mortar or not:

1. Leisurepro (descent gear, awesome prices) - NY, NY

All scuba gear is descent gear ... I mean, DUH, we're taking it diving ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hahaaa... I meant, "decent." :D Funny. :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wasn't LP nailed for selling knock off SP gear which might make it less than decent even though we are diving it?

btw Bob your sig does say it all:)

Last edited:
Wasn't LP nailed for selling knock off SP gear which might make it less than decent even though we are diving it?
I had not heard that tale ... and not sure that it's true. And even if it were, knock-offs are common in scuba. Most scuba gear is either rebranded from overseas manufacturers or a knock-off of someone else's idea, after all. So unless they were putting ScubaPro's name on someone else's product, I don't know what's to get "nailed" for.

Thanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had heard that and I saw a knockoff Scubapro BCD on ebay. Everything looked good except it was missing the right side pull dump. When I asked the seller what was going on, the item disappeared.

The story I heard was that the manufacturer contracted by Scubapro apparently decoded to continue some production outside the contract. It is pretty easy to see how LP, with its diverse product sources, could end up with such items.

I had heard that and I saw a knockoff Scubapro BCD on ebay. Everything looked good except it was missing the right side pull dump. When I asked the seller what was going on, the item disappeared.

The story I heard was that the manufacturer contracted by Scubapro apparently decoded to continue some production outside the contract. It is pretty easy to see how LP, with its diverse product sources, could end up with such items.

That may well be the truth, but regardless you have bought a product which is not what it says on the tin and when it comes down to it you're screwed andf if you are4 lucky you only lose your money. That is also part of the problem everybody is trying to cut costs, when SP took all of their manufacturing to Europe and stiffed all of their US partners the loss in quality was quite significant and also there where issues with repacement parts and how they fit. This has since been resolved I believe but is you have a "knock off" without any documentation what do you have? It's a bugger this is an expensive sport and we are all trying to save money but let us not forget that we are talking about life support equipment.

That may well be the truth, but regardless you have bought a product which is not what it says on the tin and when it comes down to it you're screwed andf if you are4 lucky you only lose your money. That is also part of the problem everybody is trying to cut costs, when SP took all of their manufacturing to Europe and stiffed all of their US partners the loss in quality was quite significant and also there where issues with repacement parts and how they fit. This has since been resolved I believe but is you have a "knock off" without any documentation what do you have? It's a bugger this is an expensive sport and we are all trying to save money but let us not forget that we are talking about life support equipment.

Why would you be screwed?? I'm sure LP would make good on the error.

Yes, it can be an expensive sport. But I have found that with a bit of research and knowledge, the cost can be cut quite a bit if you focus on quality used gear and DIY service and improvements.

I find the "life support" argument to be a bit tiresome. Usually coming from some one trying to make a profit in scuba retail by intimidating some poor diver into spending much more than he needs to to get good, safe gear.

I support my LDS, not only for the availability of air/nitrox fills, but also for the availability of good used equipment at great prices. They may be more expensive for certain things, such as reg service, but when it comes to other things they have been very competitive in pricing compared to Scubatoys or Leisurepro. They also give me the option to pay them over time for my new gear. I just got a new Sherwood Axis bc for around $75 cheaper than I could find online, and they took my old bc in and gave me $100 for it. I just got two used lp112's that were just hydroed and VIPed and O2 cleaned for $400. (a new one goes for about $350, and I got two for just over that) Then there is the availability of the pool for trying out new gear anytime they are open. They schedule trips all the time and I have yet to be able to beat their pricing when I have tried to go around them. Don't get me wrong I have bought some items online, and will continue to do it, but I buy the little things online; clips, lanyards, mask straps, fin straps, etc. I will be needing a pony bottle this season, and yes I will buy that and a new reg setup from my LDS. They will not only give me advice not based on making a sale, but advice to get me into what I will need for then and the future.

Just my .02

Why would you be screwed?? I'm sure LP would make good on the error.

Yes, it can be an expensive sport. But I have found that with a bit of research and knowledge, the cost can be cut quite a bit if you focus on quality used gear and DIY service and improvements.

I find the "life support" argument to be a bit tiresome. Usually coming from some one trying to make a profit in scuba retail by intimidating some poor diver into spending much more than he needs to to get good, safe gear.

How would they make good? Supply you with another possibly defective piece of equipment that you may take on a live aboard or a trip? Regarding life support I don't know what diving you enjoy but every piece of equipment I dive is exactly that.

I have never sold a diver a piece of equipment I would not dive, I understand that there are a number of cattle market operations but on the most part the shops I have dealt with would bend over backwards to help new divers and their clientel.

DIY depends on your skills, talents, commitment and intelligence, again regardless of what you may think every piece of your dive gear is life support equipment if you do not believe that stay out of the water, when everything goes South your buddy or another diver needs to cover your ass.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom