Why should I support my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I'll save the $60, pay toward a million dollar smile for myself from the local dentist, look in a mirror on my way to dive. Also, think of the 12 air fills I can get on my vacation I booked for $150 less than what that type of LDS would charge. :eyebrow:
Anyone know a good on-line dentist? I may save for a big mirror! :D

As usual, the "where will you get your air fills?" argument is a non starter. Where there is a demand, there will be a supply. Simple economics 101. If you live in a low density, land locked area you may have to wait till you get closer to the popular dive sites where demand is higher, but your doing that now anyway right?

I think dive shops far from dive sites will be the first to die off anyway and I think the "paradigm shift" will be a separation of retail and training. You will buy your gear online or at local brick&mortar sporting goods stores, and you will get training from independant instructor networks/associations/clubs. The training may be more expensive since it isn't being subsidized by gear sales, but the balance to that is that gear will be cheaper. Again, supply/demand.

Jason

...you will get training from independant instructor networks/associations/clubs. The training may be more expensive since it isn't being subsidized by gear sales, but the balance to that is that gear will be cheaper. Again, supply/demand.

Jason

The training may as well be more intensive and complete. :idk:

As usual, the "where will you get your air fills?" argument is a non starter. Where there is a demand, there will be a supply. Simple economics 101. If you live in a low density, land locked area you may have to wait till you get closer to the popular dive sites where demand is higher, but your doing that now anyway right?

I think dive shops far from dive sites will be the first to die off anyway and I think the "paradigm shift" will be a separation of retail and training. You will buy your gear online or at local brick&mortar sporting goods stores, and you will get training from independant instructor networks/associations/clubs. The training may be more expensive since it isn't being subsidized by gear sales, but the balance to that is that gear will be cheaper. Again, supply/demand.

Jason

Funny , thats the way it was in late 60's and early 70's here in the Wash DC area. Irvins Sporting Goods, Hermans outdoor,the Base PX's, and a major dept store down town all had dive gear and the clubs and individuals did a lot of topquality teaching and sometimes a little too para navy depending on the instructors. then little by little the dive shops grew and the sporting goods stores stopped selling dive gear.. Now many dive shops have petered out as todays economy and buying trends shift.

The training may as well be more intensive and complete. :idk:

Boy would that be refreshing. :)

umm, if you run the calculation per :

Inflation Calculator - Value of a Dollar over Time

prices in 2010 are compared to 1968 prices :

$1.00 in 1968 had about the same buying power as $6.37 in 2010.

Annual inflation over this period was about 4.51%.

....so, just due to inflation, today your $ 900 compressor would cost $ 5733 !

Today you can get a compressor equal to mine for about $3000, so in reality compressor cost has not increased at the inflation rate.
For about $130 I can buy a 4 year supply of oil, 13X seive and activated carbon. My compressor is gas powered and I can fill about 10 tanks on 1&1/2 gallons of gas. Over my lifetime of diving I am way ahead.

In 1968 a fill at an LDS was $1. Today it would be $6.37. I really don't know what it is now.

Jason

That is exactly the way it started. You bought gear at Sears, the local sporting goods store or by mail order. Independent instructors taught at the Y and local community pools.
I bought my first gear in 1957 at a local New Orleans sporting goods store. The first stand alone dive shop didn't open until 1972 in New Orleans

It is truly a shame that so many view their LDS as a theiving, lying, money grubbers only good for getting fills from. I hate thinking that people in the dive industry are in it only for the money. I know some are but really hope the majority are honest.

The place I go has competitive prices, provides all the services I need at a reasonable price and I consider the employees there personal friends. I go there fairly often, most of the time to see whats new and talk about diving.

Maybe it's too much competition in a bad economy. Maybe some of the owners are truly dishonest. It must be different in an area where there is a lot of local diving. I don't know, I just hope the shop I use stays open. It would be a loss in my opinion.

I don't want to service my own regulator or deal with someone over the phone or by email. I still like doing business face to face. I like the instant gratification of seeing it and taking it home with me. I can even give new stuff a test run right then in the pool. I could maybe save a few bucks by booking my own trip but the group trips are really fun and I don't have to worry about much as they have been there and know what needs to be done. If they get a free trip for putting the whole thing together so be it. Traveling with a group is fun and a great way to make new friends. They also offer training while on the trip. I already know the instructors and that is a plus for me.

But then maybe it is different here. Colorado is not exactly the center of the diving universe.

I am not sure I would have started diving if the shop wasn't there. Those are just a few reasons I will continue to support my LDS.

Wow, who let the nerd in?

Just kidding. :D

Hey, if you love your LDS, then by all means... Good on ya. :) I'm glad that SOMEONE is having a good experience. :)

My short list of good shops, brick-n-mortar or not:

1. Leisurepro (descent gear, awesome prices) - NY, NY
2. Extreme Exposure (awesome expertise, fantastic gear, spend the kids' college fund) - High Springs, FL
3. Fill Express (these guys know what I want and have it in stock) - several locations in FL
4. Austin's Diving Center (the only place I can reliably find anything O'Neill and Scubapro) - Miami, FL
5. DiveInn Scubastore (Apeks regs at like half price) - Somewhere, Spain

...And that's pretty much it in 23 years of diving (the past four or five of them professional).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom