Why Service the regs?? (when new ones are so cheap)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My reg is a Aqualung Legend LX ACD, they sell for $1300 AUS.
Just paid $180 to get it serviced, after two years and close to 1500 dives.
Its a Bargain for me. Works out $1 a dive so far in cost.

The technician told me it was very clean inside which is exactly what I paid for.
Only reason I got it serviced now was a four month period of no use.

That begs another question:

Why do people buy expensive regulators? What do these $700+ regs have that a $300/= reg doesn't? Do they breathe better? Last longer? Will save your life better??

My $250/= aeris A1 rig works just fine. What am I missing by not spending more on a reg?

Vimal.

Why do people buy expensive regulators? What do these $700+ regs have that a $300/= reg doesn't? Do they breathe better? Last longer? Will save your life better??

My $250/= aeris A1 rig works just fine. What am I missing by not spending more on a reg?

Vimal.

My Atomics won't freeflow in 34 degree water and breathe just as well at 30' or 130', regardless of whether it's just me staring at fish, or me and a buddy breathing like hoovers.

They're also rated for 80% O2, and breathe as easy as sitting on the couch watching television.

Whether or not any of this is worth anything to you is your call.

Terry

Vimal.

Hi Vimal,

Good question.

Modern regulators, even entry-level regs, are designed to last for your entire diving career, and will be reliable and safe if properly cared for. So the very short answer to your question is performance. And by performance the measure is almost always ease of breathing at depth.

A longer answer gets more complicated. For example, for the typical shallow, tropical vacation dive, is the difference in performance really noticeable? My opinion is that in this case "tuning" of the regulator makes the greatest difference (although there may be some low-end regs that just breath a bit harder no matter how you tweak them). A well-tuned entry level reg will make most folks perfectly happy on typical shallow recreational dives.

As you move deeper, you'll begin to notice the difference. But just how deep is "deep"? 100 feet? 130? Or are we actually talking about the realm of "deep air" (depths well beyond typical recreational limits)?

If you are satisfied and happy with the performance of your regulator in the environment you normally dive in, then stick with it and use the money saved on other equipment or dive travel.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
My Atomics won't freeflow in 34 degree water and breathe just as well at 30' or 130', regardless of whether it's just me staring at fish, or me and a buddy breathing like hoovers.

They're also rated for 80% O2, and breathe as easy as sitting on the couch watching television.

Whether or not any of this is worth anything to you is your call.

Terry

My $400 apex breathes no different from 10-240+, upside down (I have tested it at depth), is fully sealed, can handle freezing temps, handles overbreathing with no change (another self-test), rated for 100% O2 (simply replaced all rubber software and used my O2 cressi-lube for reassembly).

Just because you have the money and can spend $1300 on a reg doesn't necessarily make it better. It just means that your reg costs half as much as my WHOLE doubles kit.

Not saying your reg isn't awesome, but my $400 and even my $200 dive-rite regs do everything that yours does and I can assure you will last every bit as long. Whenever I do my PMIs (preventative maintenance inspection, sorry, military term) over the last two years I have only ever had to replace 3-5 o-rings between all 15 of my first/second stages . They don't wear down at all and work very smooth.

vimal, i shortcutted the whole problem/discussion by dating a tech. it's the solution to the whole issue!

vimal, i shortcutted the whole problem/discussion by dating a tech. it's the solution to the whole issue!

:).
Wish I were that lucky!!. Unless my wife learns the trade, I am stuck with a dive shop technician :wink:

Easy,
Yes it will last longer,
I can get parts anywhere in the world,
It has a function that does not allow water in, so in the unlikely event of me being careless it is forgiving,
I use it EVERYDAY and is proving itself to be worth its weight in gold,
I find it easy to breath and does not make my jaw ache unlike some of the cheaper brands and models

so will it save my life better?

I purchase it because I believe the risk to have to save my life is less than a cheapo $250 model so the answer is YES.

Why do people buy expensive regulators?

Probably for the same reason some people buy expensive cars, watches, shoes, guitars, etc. Because that's how some people choose to spend their money.

A cheaper car will still get you where you want to go. A cheaper watch will probably keep better time. Cheaper shoes walk just fine. A cheap guitar sounds almost as good, depending on your musical ear.

Me, I'm an expensive reg, cheap car, expensive watch, cheap shoes, expensive guitar kind of guy. :wink:

Strangely enough, one of my best friends is exactly the opposite: cheap reg, expensive car, cheap watch, expensive shoes and cheap guitars.

We're both pretty happy with our choices in life.

There's a lot of very good dive gear out there, most of it relatively inexpensive, and some really great gear out there, most of which is more expensive, imho.

There's a lot of very good dive gear out there, most of it relatively inexpensive, and some really great gear out there, most of which is more expensive, imho.

That is actually a perfect answer regarding dive gear in general and regulators in particular.

You'd have to look long and hard to find a bad regulator these days. I think regs can more accurately be described as "good, better, and best", with progressively less bang for the buck as you ease into the "best" level.

Overall, I think it is terrific that we have all the makes and models to choose from: "Something for everyone".

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom