Question Why own an aluminum tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a “good deal” on steel 100s these days? And if I’m going to use for nitrox should I just wait til I’m ready to fill with nitrox so I’m not switching back and forth

For personal use exclusively, why would one want to own an aluminum tank?

It is not lighter than a similarly sized steel tank to carry on dry land, it doesn't carry a hugely different amount of gas. The main difference, as far as I can tell, is the buoyancy properties. And steel tanks seem to be much more consistent in that respect and need less lead weight to compensate. A steel tank, on the other hand, is more prone to corrosion, especially in saltwater. Am I missing something?

For my personal local dives (90% of which are freshwater dives), there would be no reason to buy my own aluminum tanks, it seems. If I just take proper care of my own steel tanks (as I would with all my equipment), there is no disadvantage over aluminum tanks, is there? The other way around - I think the buoyancy change of an aluminum tank during the dive would be a disadvantage over steel tanks.
You might own an AL80 if that's all the gas you need for your dives, depends on you RMV. I frequently dive in SE FL in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm. I don't have my own tanks here so I rent. An AL80 is plenty of gas for all the dives I do here.

You can do your own gas planning if you know your RMV and use it in your planning Average Gas Consumption

I have a pair of AL80s because I didn't know any better when I bought them.

Nope your not missing anything. And actually if properly cared for steel tanks will out last ali tanks. Reason why you see so many ali tanks is price. Think about a dive operator that has to buy a 100 tanks the price difference ads up really quick between ali and steel.

Only other reason I can think of for common use of ali tanks is deco gas. just because of the buoyancy characteristics. I really like ali s80's for this.
Hej
I've just posted a question regarding having alu s080 for deco/stage in the link below. Can I kindly have your opinion on that please?
Thread 'How does AluS080 11.1 ltr for deco/stage tanks sound?' How does AluS080 11.1 ltr for deco/stage tanks sound?

I always scratch my head when I see local drysuit divers with AL80s - tanks they own. Their weight pockets just bulge with all the weight needed to sink a drysuit with an AL80. Some didn’t want to spent the extra for steels and others are just so used to diving AL80s they can’t conceive of diving anything else. These are the responses I get when I’ve asked if they have considered steels. Then there are the short women who struggle with an AL80 hanging down their butt. Back when I had steel HP80s, I offered my tanks so they could try them on dives. Just had to cover the cost of a fill. Nope. Wouldn’t even try, even after putting a HP80 next to an AL80. The HP80s are so much shorter and more comfortable for short people to dive.

I consider AL80s a very poor choice for cold water divers, especially people who own their tanks. I refuse to dive aluminums now unless they’re a deco or stage bottle.
So do you actually recommend alu tanks for stage/deco tanks? Even in cold waters?
I've asked almost same question here:
Thread 'How does AluS080 11.1 ltr for deco/stage tanks sound?' How does AluS080 11.1 ltr for deco/stage tanks sound?

So do you actually recommend alu tanks for stage/deco tanks? Even in cold waters?
I've asked almost same question here:

AL80s are VERY commonly used for stage/deco/CCR bailout.

The post of mine you quoted was referring to single tank recreational divers.

Aluminum tanks suck for cold water diving.
Heavy on land and even heavier overall weighting when compensating for their lightness.
The only time I see aluminum 80’s around here is when someone’s using a rental tank.
Most owner operators are running steels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom