Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is fantastic! Glad you had a great time. Another satisfied visitor to the Philippines!

Phil (bisugo767)

I spent two month and about 100 dive in the Philippines:
-World class diving (Corals, macro, big stuff, vis)
-Amazing people
-Safe and easy travel (backpacking)
-Cheap diving
-Wonderful country topside

The real question is: why going elswhere?

Philippines dive blog here

This is a great discussion.

Speaking as an American who worked in Manila for two years, I'd say the main reason Phils is far behind is because the rest of the tourism industry is stunted. Unlike, when I worked in China, friends and family from home had no desire to visit me in the Phils.

I mean, no offense, but Thailand and Indonesia offer Americans a much more "exotic" cultural experience.

One thing Philippines should do is embrace its WWII history. It should follow the model of Europe and make outdoor museums of battle fields (or like what is done in the US South for the Civil War). It's a shame that so much of that important history seems to have been forgotten. The Phils and brave Filipinos played such a critical role in WWII. Americans would be fascinated by it.

If something like that was embraced, it would be a big plus as a non-diving activity to attract Americans. The only place you can really find it is Subic and that's only because it was the old Navy base.

Further, other non-diving activities like guided mountain treks or rafting are tough to find.

Hey, Philippines has got boxing, jai lai, and cockfights, which are great, but it needs more.

Thailand, Bali and Malaysia all have exotic temples, and exotic culture that make them more enticing.

Philippines needs something like that.

Finally, Manila is on the same economic-poverty level as Lagos, Nigeria. Its a turn off.

This year, my big dive trip is to Indonesia. (At least Phils has safer Airlines than Indonesia) :)

Just some thoughts...

This is a great discussion.

One thing Philippines should do is embrace its WWII history. It should follow the model of Europe and make outdoor museums of battle fields (or like what is done in the US South for the Civil War). It's a shame that so much of that important history seems to have been forgotten. The Phils and brave Filipinos played such a critical role in WWII. Americans would be fascinated by it.

If something like that was embraced, it would be a big plus as a non-diving activity to attract Americans. The only place you can really find it is Subic and that's only because it was the old Navy base.

Further, other non-diving activities like guided mountain treks or rafting are tough to find.

i'd have to agree with you here. it's such a waste that the tourism department fall short on the historical tourism side. it's like they're promoting nothing else but beaches. of the few historical sites i've been to maintenance and upkeep is disappointing. being a photography buff these would have been places that would top my interest.

i broached the idea of church tours, historical tours and dive packages to some friends in the tourism industry but it seems they're more interested in outbound travel.

Hmmm....so if you charge more per dive you're going to attract more divers? The reason I dive in Asia/Indo/Phils/ is because the diving is excellent and affordable and is worth the extra money spent on airfare and I can also stay longer. I don't dive the Carribean anymore because each time I ended up asking "where's all the fish???", and the dives were more costly. I prefer "sleeper" locations and enjoy "the road less traveled." That's why I keep coming back to dive Philippines - this year was my fourth time. Be careful what you wish for. You may just get what you want plus all the trappings that goes with it. Club Med type operations, cattle boats, spoiled high rollers, not to mention reef damage from an increased numbers of divers, and on & on. If you don't believe me just ask some of the elders who can remember when Cozumel only had about a dozen dive shops, or just dive Jamaica and you'll end up asking "where's all the fish?" ZEEMAN is right on. Happy New Year!

Hmmm....so if you charge more per dive you're going to attract more divers? The reason I dive in Asia/Indo/Phils/ is because the diving is excellent and affordable and is worth the extra money spent on airfare and I can also stay longer. I don't dive the Carribean anymore because each time I ended up asking "where's all the fish???", and the dives were more costly. I prefer "sleeper" locations and enjoy "the road less traveled." That's why I keep coming back to dive Philippines - this year was my fourth time. Be careful what you wish for. You may just get what you want plus all the trappings that goes with it. QUOTE]

Ditto, that's why I keep going back for trips. I can go twice a year instead of only once. Of course the exchange rate isn't being kind to the dollar lately.

Oh but Mike, I believe Vancouver Island is Dengue free!:D
But they get Bird Flu and West Nile...

AND SNOW!

:)

Hmmm....so if you charge more per dive you're going to attract more divers? The reason I dive in Asia/Indo/Phils/ is because the diving is excellent and affordable and is worth the extra money spent on airfare and I can also stay longer. I don't dive the Carribean anymore because each time I ended up asking "where's all the fish???", and the dives were more costly. I prefer "sleeper" locations and enjoy "the road less traveled." That's why I keep coming back to dive Philippines - this year was my fourth time. Be careful what you wish for. You may just get what you want plus all the trappings that goes with it. Club Med type operations, cattle boats, spoiled high rollers, not to mention reef damage from an increased numbers of divers, and on & on. If you don't believe me just ask some of the elders who can remember when Cozumel only had about a dozen dive shops, or just dive Jamaica and you'll end up asking "where's all the fish?" ZEEMAN is right on. Happy New Year!

You need higher published prices to be able to commission agents who are the real ones who will increase your business...or just commission them and take less home yourself, you choose. But no commission to agents means less customers I guarantee you that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom