Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the girls in Indo aren't as feisty as the Filipinas on this board....

might have something to do with it..

Hi Iris! :)
we don't want people like shreggie here messing up our reefs :crazy3:

If I may add my grain of salt, for what it's worth. I think it has to do with 2 major items:
1- Foreign perception of the country: Very little is known abroad of the current state of the Philippines. The image of a dictator run, very poor, tourist un-friendly or un-organised country still exists. Sorry, but it's true!:shakehead: And this is a major turn off for people to even start considering the Philippines as a destination (wether for diving or not). This needs to change and requires: 1- Money invested in promotion, and 2- Smart campains

2- Visibility!: No one knows aboput the diving the Philippines have to offer! Now web forums like this are wondefull as they give free visibility. But they aren't enough to build an industry! Ya need the real promo tools: Media (magasines) and tourism agencies. In the case of media, if you offer them a FREE (I know, it's not free to the resort:shakehead:) vacation to come scope out the area and diving, they usually will accept it (that's how they gather material for their mags). And this costs money, so I suppose it's out of the question for most operators (unless the government subsidises it... yeah right...:shakehead:). They would need to pool together to get this done! And the same thing goes for the tourism agencies: you need to buy them off to get them to promote your area, no matter how good it really is!

Once the word gets out (and I mean really gets out, not just on forums like these) of great diving, for very reasonable prices, tourism should be flocking...:14: After a few years of very strong growth, when you've created a sort of "fidelity" and better image, then you can start to think of raising the prices (and profit margins). If you raise the margins right now, I fear that will deter people to making the very long trip from North America and discovering the interest of the country.

This is just my 0.02$. take it for what it's worth!

My two centavos:

I have a friend who dives with me every year during his off time from working in the snow. This year, he was down in Indonesia for 2 weeks and spent only a couple days with me. When asked about his dives there, he said all he saw were fins and bubbles. 40 people in the water with him. He went there mostly for his significant other as there are more things to do in Indo than at my place(for the non-diver). Rest assured, he will spend more time here next year.

Bottom line: I think things will be changing in the next couple of years. My very limited market is a pretty good mixture of EU and US divers. (I hope the local market will grow next year) They have been all over and like coming back here. It is peaceful and quiet, just the way they want it. They are not the type to go hit the bars and discos after a day of diving.

Yes, I am in Mindanao and get some very bad press. But if the visitor does a little homework and actually opens up a map to find out where the troubles are and how far it is from our place then I have a shot.

Most of he people we get here have relations in the area or are the more adventurous type. Some people just found a place in Indo and keep going back. Nothing wrong with that. I also order the same thing every time I go to a specific restaurant. Why chance it that I may not enjoy my dinner? But every time we have a satisfied customer, we also have one of those returnees..... and a couple referrals. Yup, things will be changing in the next couple years.

Media exposure also is changing. A world class photographer was here a couple weeks ago. Look for our place in asian magazines in March or April.

Ok maybe 2 pesos worth.

dindavid, glad you enjoyed your PI dive trip. I hope you do more in the future!

Well, this is where it all starts...a satisfied visitor to PI!

Phil (bisugo767)
david more than enjoyed his PI visit... we cha-chaed!!!! hahahahahaha

@david: when you coming back bro? 08 is it?

Jag

My two centavos:

I have a friend who dives with me every year during his off time from working in the snow. This year, he was down in Indonesia for 2 weeks and spent only a couple days with me. When asked about his dives there, he said all he saw were fins and bubbles. 40 people in the water with him. He went there mostly for his significant other as there are more things to do in Indo than at my place(for the non-diver). Rest assured, he will spend more time here next year.

Bottom line: I think things will be changing in the next couple of years. My very limited market is a pretty good mixture of EU and US divers. (I hope the local market will grow next year) They have been all over and like coming back here. It is peaceful and quiet, just the way they want it. They are not the type to go hit the bars and discos after a day of diving.

Yes, I am in Mindanao and get some very bad press. But if the visitor does a little homework and actually opens up a map to find out where the troubles are and how far it is from our place then I have a shot.

Most of he people we get here have relations in the area or are the more adventurous type. Some people just found a place in Indo and keep going back. Nothing wrong with that. I also order the same thing every time I go to a specific restaurant. Why chance it that I may not enjoy my dinner? But every time we have a satisfied customer, we also have one of those returnees..... and a couple referrals. Yup, things will be changing in the next couple years.

Media exposure also is changing. A world class photographer was here a couple weeks ago. Look for our place in asian magazines in March or April.

Ok maybe 2 pesos worth.
i have to echo paul here...

was at gensan... they get too much bad press there simply for being in mindanao... kind of like saying you're sure to get drive-byed simply by being in LA

or lynched simply for being a tad dark in alabama...

i dove there and it was simply spectacular - and i only got to do 1 dive! on paul HOUSE REEF!

can't wait for my february dive trip...

Jag

If you're going to compare with Mexican diving, you can't just look at the dives alone. That's like pricing a hot dog the same cause you use the same bread.

I believe the time and expense to get there is the main reason for the price disparity. When traveling, the expense to get there can be a HUGE part of a traveler's budget. For a lot of people, the extra 10 hours of flying and $1000 plane ticket difference would not be worth it if the diving cost the same. If people only have so much earmarked for a vacation, a lot of people will pay a bit more per dive if that means they can save TONS of time/money on getting there.

I'd have to agree with everyone about the travel time and the lack of information getting to dive spots. We've chipped our little space on the internet and we always get questions about how to get to this or that place. edit: if you google diving + [insert dive site of the PI] the PPD is usually on the first couple pages.

And I think Paul has it right about the people who the Philippine Government should try to attact - the adventurous type. Backpacking around the PI is fun.

And the first thing they should do outline the public transportation! Such as the different ferries you can take from place to place around the Visayas.

i dove there and it was simply spectacular - and i only got to do 1 dive! on paul HOUSE REEF!

can't wait for my february dive trip...

Jag

But you're going while we're diving in S. Leyte and Cabilao, you bum. :28: Go with me again in March!

One thing that should help is the growing presence of US based companies in the Philippines. As much as I HATE outsourcing, it's a reality, and Verizon has recently opened up some telemarketing and call centers in the Philippines (not sure what city, likely Manila).

This should help dispel some of the negative perception as more US citizens travel to that region.

I would love to travel to the Philippines, but the airfare is very expensive. I hear however that once there, the prices are very good.

Not sure if I (we, the wife won't let me come to the PI alone again) can make it in 2008, might have to be 2009, have to see how an investment works out after taxes. Our friends bought a house on the water on Mactan Island off Cebu, he got certified (at 70 y/o) and is loving it. They also have a house in Barili Cebu. We'll definately be back, just don't know when.

cha cha cha bro :D
david more than enjoyed his PI visit... we cha-chaed!!!! hahahahahaha

@david: when you coming back bro? 08 is it?

Jag

One strange thing I do have to add is that after I got back, I had some odd encounters with some Filipino friends and acquaintances. When I told them I had just returned from a vacation in the Philippines they looked at me incredulously. They asked why would I chose the Philippines for a vacation. I had to explain that there was incredible diving there. They had no idea that there WAS good diving in their home country! If this happened only once I would pawn it off an anomaly, but it happened four or five times! Weird.
Philippines - a photoset on Flickr

unfortunately this is not unusual. When we work at US dive shows it is common that expat Philippinos come and berate us about how dangerous the PI are and how ****ty the diving is. The fact that they have not been back in 20yrs or ever dived there seems to escape their mind!

most of you know that Atlantis is not a retiree business; and it is a viable profit making organisation - but a large percent of that is returned to marketing, facility improvements, and most importantly staff training and retention(happy staff means happy guests). How do you have enough money to do that? Charge what you are worth...

My feeling is that the Philippines and many of its expat operations are stuck in a rut where lowering the price is the only tool to marketing...clearly it is not and we should be charging way more than we are.

One of the reasons a lot of operations cant work with agents in the US is to do with margins...agents need to be able to sell a trip and make money themselves, if you low ball quote to anyone who emails you then the agents don't get bookings and make nothing and get pissed off and don't send you any guests. So it is a complicated balance to get agents working in your favour, and doesnt happen overnight. This goes without the sidenote that you obviously have to have a product they want to sell to their clients. Don't forget a large portion of US guests want AC rooms, hot water, and quality food in volumes, not necessarily something which is on offer at the majority of operations in the islands...

my 2cents for xmas day

Back
Top Bottom