Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dindavid, glad you enjoyed your PI dive trip. I hope you do more in the future!

Well, this is where it all starts...a satisfied visitor to PI!

Phil (bisugo767)

I did two weeks of diving in the PI last year, it was some the best diving I have ever done. And the people were fantastic! I think they are doing a much better job of taking care of what they have, world class diving IMO.
But I do agree they are getting snubbed by US dive industries

Paolov, this just shows you how much power the media has over the sense of perception. They can twist and turn a bit of news and turn it into something explosive just to sell newspapers or stories. Luzon and Visayas are quite safe. It is the South where you have to be careful. Well, some places in the South is safe and some aren't. Too bad, the South has so many nice dive sites to offer. Sulu for one, but I guess a lot of the reefs are already dead due to over-fishing and dynamite fishing.

Maybe Indonesia has the oil that the Philippines don't that makes the big difference.

Thanks for the feedback!

Phil (bisugo767)

The US Government on the average issues at least once a year a travel advisory to avoid travel to the Philippines . one political incident on the entire country , a travel advisory is issued to avoid travel to the philippines, key word political.
HOwever recent travel advisories has been revised and made specific to the immediate area concerned (i.e. Mindanao or southern Philippines, Visayas , or Luzon)
an improvement.

but , generally, divers living in the Philippines who have no Philippine political leanings are here diving regularly. as a matter of fact when these advisories come out its more or less a holiday so they go diving and let the incident pass.

so basically its those travel advisories and NEWS circulated that makes it apparently prevalent in the Philippines. which is false.

as to wrecked reefs, yes the reefs have been blasted away by dynamite fishing. some are recovering . and the dive industry in the Philippines is , just say in it's growth years in terms of Resort Management and reef conservation.

But just like in diving;

Familiarize yourself with the location (to know the key points and environment)
Use a reputable guide.

both of the above tips, Scubaboard may offer (PPD) in terms of providing some advanced information on weather, social, traffic and political situation in the Philippines. forewarned is forearmed.

maybe Indonesia has more OIL to tap than the Philippines?

Mike, move back to Vancouver. Due to global warming, Vancouver Island feels like Hawaii. The government flew in loads of white sand from the Caribbean. No more silty run-offs from the rivers, waters are as crystal clear as you want them. All the chicks are wearing grass skirts!! Oh, don't forget you 3mm suit. You'll love it here!

Phil (bisugo767)

the girls in Indo aren't as feisty as the Filipinas on this board....

might have something to do with it..

Hi Iris! :)

A year ago I was looking at diving the PP or Indonesia. My sense of it is travelling in Indo as an independent single traveller is a little more risky then bussing around the PP. I wound up in Indo due to not being able to make the travel arrangments work out cleanly as it was the christmas season. that said my next major dive trip is expected to be in the PP for the month of June. Any chance a DOR will occur in June? I think the wreck diving in the PP is some of the best in the world from what I've read, and I'm quite surprised it doesn't get more traffic. I'm hoping to hit Subic,Coron, and to meet up w/ the PPD'ers :)

I don't know that the Philippines are getting short shrift compared to Indonesia. In my part of the world (Santa Barbara, CA), they are advertised about the same. I just got back from a trip to Puerto Gallera and Dumaguete that was put together by my LDS. The diving was amazing and I had a great time.

One strange thing I do have to add is that after I got back, I had some odd encounters with some Filipino friends and acquaintances. When I told them I had just returned from a vacation in the Philippines they looked at me incredulously. They asked why would I chose the Philippines for a vacation. I had to explain that there was incredible diving there. They had no idea that there WAS good diving in their home country! If this happened only once I would pawn it off an anomaly, but it happened four or five times! Weird.

FYI, there are some photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/sets/72157602869441019/

I spent two month and about 100 dive in the Philippines:
-World class diving (Corals, macro, big stuff, vis)
-Amazing people
-Safe and easy travel (backpacking)
-Cheap diving
-Wonderful country topside

The real question is: why going elswhere?

Philippines dive blog here

Mike, move back to Vancouver. Due to global warming, Vancouver Island feels like Hawaii. The government flew in loads of white sand from the Caribbean. No more silty run-offs from the rivers, waters are as crystal clear as you want them. All the chicks are wearing grass skirts!! Oh, don't forget you 3mm suit. You'll love it here!

Phil (bisugo767)
ummmm....

NO! its cold there..

:p

ummmm....

NO! its cold there..

:p

Mike V,

mindanao mike, warm waters.....

Bisugo,

additional comments,

GORE for President 2008 !!!!!!!!! America you messed up !!!! :D

now he will run for the President of World Bank and have a giant airconditioner built using liquid nitro to cool the whole world !!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom