Why not just start out with a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjspeck:
My Ranger weighs just under 11lbs. What would you estimate a comparable BP/W would weigh for someone my weight, I'm 6'4" and about 275. Also I can fold my Ranger and squeeeeze it into a carryon, can you do that with a BP/W? Or is it too tall or wide with the plate? Just wondering. For me the transport weight is more the issue than the weight I have to carry at the destination as I carry a video setup and travel with one checked bag only.

The BP/W does not get heavier with size. My unit weighs about 7.5 pounds with the stainless steel plate. An aluminum model would weigh about 4.5 pounds. A kydex model (Deep Sea Supply) might shave another pound.

I'm 6'0/240#, so no small guy either.

I can fit about 8 BP/W into a carryon. And I don't have to squeeze.

If transport weight is important to you, then a kydex system, with 5-Drings is going to be ideal. It'll clock in at less than 5 pounds total, and you'd hardly notice it's size in a carryon.

Thanks, I've learned more today than I have in several visits to different LDS's.

Oh by the way, If you've seen pictures of those technical divers with double tanks, and 2-3 tanks on their sides, lights, reels, and all that stuff, note that their units have either 5 or 6 d-rings. And two of those are on the crotch strap. So if a tech diver can dive to 300+ feet with 5 tanks clipped on and 3 lights, and only needs 3 d-rings, how many do YOU need?

sjspeck:
...My Ranger weighs just under 11lbs. What would you estimate a comparable BP/W would weigh for someone my weight, I'm 6'4" and about 275. Also I can fold my Ranger and squeeeeze it into a carryon, can you do that with a BP/W? Or is it too tall or wide with the plate? Just wondering. For me the transport weight is more the issue than the weight I have to carry at the destination as I carry a video setup and travel with one checked bag only.
I sort of figured they might have....

Your Ranger weighs under 11lbs on the surface. How many lbs. positive is it? That's the big difference between BCDs and BP/Ws My BP/W weighs less than my old BCD, but I use less weight because my BP/W is less positive in the water than my BCD. I dive an AL plate so it's only 2lbs, but my wife dives a SS plate that weighs 6lbs. Her plate is slightly negative in the water. I think your Ranger probably adds a good 5lbs to the amount of weight you need to wear than if you had a BP/W. My BP/W gets carried on with me. It fits perfectly in the carryon roller and has room for my can light, regs, and mask, with room left over. My BCD didn't fit quite that easily.

Come out to Lake Pleasant this weekend, Steve. I'll show you my set up and how streamlined it is. You can even take it for a dive if you want. I'm not trying to talk you out of your Ranger. I'm just trying to educate you on BP/Ws. Arizona does have a lot to be desired in that area. And then the shops wonder why we shop online! :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom