Why not just start out with a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some use jacket style. Some use a BP/W. BP/Ws are more common here in WA because our conditions mandate the use of things like drysuits and canister lights and many divers find BPs easier to use with that stuff. Not to mention those who dive doubles. The flexibility offered makes them a better value in their eyes. One day they might be diving 50' in broad daylight with good vis and AL80's and not need even a light or SMB and the next they're doing a dive on a wreck at 200' with canister lights, pony bottles, doubles SMBs, reels, lift bags and scooters. All that stuff usually gets mounted/clipped on the BP/harness. I've dove with people who use a jacket (though admittedly they use back-inflate) and those who use BPs and it's a matter of personal prefrence. Often those who use jackets aren't the type to do wreck penetration or deep dives.

Buy what works for you and your style of diving. It may take a couple tries, and it can be a little expensive, but the end result will be a setup that fits with your type of diving.

For what it's worth I dive a BP/W. I'm a future doubles and wreck diver.

timegan:
Hey bud ....she's beautiful!!! and after 14 years as her best friend....can only imagine how you feel....may she rest peacefully
Thanks. 14 years wasn't enough.

billblack:
Hello...
I'm a new diver who is buying alllll that equipment one piece at a time. I do not plan get into decompression diving, but I do have some plans to perform work at depths up to about 100 feet. I live in coastal Florida and do not plan to dive in cold water.EVER. My question is simple- since a BP/W is where many people end up, is there a reason to buy the first one or two BCs that folks sell when they go to a BP/W. Should I just start out with what I'm going to end up with and save the time/energy/MONEY that it takes to change plans?
Thanks in advance for your input.:D
Bill
in sunny Sebastian, FL

I did my 4 OW checkout dives in a standard jacket BC, and then bought a Halcyon Eclipse and have used a BP/W for ever dive afterwards...

If you think you're going to wind up with one anyway, you might as well do it...

Buy the BP/W and save yourself some angst. The classifieds section is littered with orphaned BCs whose owners saw the light and upgraded to BPs after only a few dives.

I think backplates are considerably more expensive.

Anyway my owc was conducted with a B/P wing. The perks of learning with a 5star Padi/Gold Palm and whatever credentials they put up on their walls.

divekatkeens:
I think backplates are considerably more expensive.

They don't have to be...

And they are cheaper than "buying twice".

In my area, there's exactly three stores(out of better than a dozen) that I know of who sell any kind of BP/W in their stores. Two of them have 1 model each. The one store that has an OMS on display only probably also has 50 name-brand BC's available immediately. So some of it is probably availability.

I don't know much about BP/W's, most of the time if I ask about them it's come back when so-and-so is here, he's the tech guy and can explain it.

I think most beginning divers just want simple, and simple is a BC with weight pockets so that you can lessen weight as you become a better diver. Also comfort has to be a big factor for the average diver. Why don't dive resorts rent BP/W's for instance?

I think the higher level of diver sophistication on SB tends to be why there's a lot more BP/W discussion here. Some of my more newly certified friends just give me blank stares when I discuss them, even some that have heard of them dismiss them as "tec gear"

For me though, I'm keeping my Ranger. It does what I want, is more comfortable since I will never wear a wetsuit, just a t-shirt mostly. And in this age of ever shrinking baggage allowances, I'm guessing that the Ranger w/o weights packs a lot lighter than a BP/W. I'm a big buoyant person so I normally dive with 12-16 lbs of weight that I get from the diveop at my destination, bringing that much in a BP/W design would mean probably having to pack a second checked bag, which I don't want to do.

Also, I've seen dozens of inquiries here about adding weight pockets to a BP/W, what's up with that? And pull the Ripcord and I'm going up, I'm not sure what you jettison on a BP/W in an emergency? The whole thing? Maybe someone can help here.

Surprisingly I did have an early BP/W sort of BC when I first started diving. It was an At-Pac which had a wing on the back mounted to a hard plastic tank holder that carried integrated lead shot weight. There was a quick release at the bottom to dump the shot all over the reef in a emergency. So I guess it all comes around.

sjspeck:
In my area, there's exactly three stores(out of better than a dozen) that I know of who sell any kind of BP/W in their stores. Two of them have 1 model each. The one store that has an OMS on display only probably also has 50 name-brand BC's available immediately. So some of it is probably availability.

sjspeck:
I don't know much about BP/W's, most of the time if I ask about them it's come back when so-and-so is here, he's the tech guy and can explain it.

It seems a lot of people with little knowledge about BP/W seem to be its biggest detractors.

sjspeck:
I think most beginning divers just want simple, and simple is a BC with weight pockets so that you can lessen weight as you become a better diver. Also comfort has to be a big factor for the average diver. Why don't dive resorts rent BP/W's for instance?

No, simple is a BC without a lot of crap hanging on it you don't need. Lack of effort is a BC with weight pockets that you can lessen weight as you become a better diver. Dive Resorts don't rent BP/W because they have to be adjusted per-diver which takes time and effort. Since the BC's they rent come in generalized sizes, you can throw them on anyone and get tell the diver "this fits". It fits in the sense you can get it on you. Comfort has nothing to do with it. A properly fitted BP/W is FAR more comfortable than any jacket I've ever used, including my Zeagle.

sjspeck:
I think the higher level of diver sophistication on SB tends to be why there's a lot more BP/W discussion here. Some of my more newly certified friends just give me blank stares when I discuss them, even some that have heard of them dismiss them as "tec gear"

I think SB offers more discussion of BP/W because the "mystery" is stripped away. It's not some tech gear. It's a basic diving BC. Nothing more.

sjspeck:
For me though, I'm keeping my Ranger. It does what I want, is more comfortable since I will never wear a wetsuit, just a t-shirt mostly. And in this age of ever shrinking baggage allowances, I'm guessing that the Ranger w/o weights packs a lot lighter than a BP/W. I'm a big buoyant person so I normally dive with 12-16 lbs of weight that I get from the diveop at my destination, bringing that much in a BP/W design would mean probably having to pack a second checked bag, which I don't want to do.

Enjoy your ranger, though It weighs more than a BP/W, and it packs in twice the space if not more. Your Ranger is what is making you wear half the weight you think you need. So lets see. You'd need less lead on the belt, you'd save packing space, and the unit would be lighter than what you have now. Hmmmm...

sjspeck:
Also, I've seen dozens of inquiries here about adding weight pockets to a BP/W, what's up with that? And pull the Ripcord and I'm going up, I'm not sure what you jettison on a BP/W in an emergency? The whole thing? Maybe someone can help here.

Adding weight pockets to a BC is something that people used to diving a common BC ask. It's totally unnecessary. There are a lot of ways to carry weight without resorting to that. The ripcord idea seems nice. I had one. However, I cannot think of any time when I am conscious that I would ditch weight at depth. Ditch at the surface? Maybe. But if weighted properly, and carrying I won't need to ditch at the surface. So I have no ditchable weight on my rig.

sjspeck:
Surprisingly I did have an early BP/W sort of BC when I first started diving. It was an At-Pac which had a wing on the back mounted to a hard plastic tank holder that carried integrated lead shot weight. There was a quick release at the bottom to dump the shot all over the reef in a emergency. So I guess it all comes around.

Things have moved on a bit since then.

It seems a lot of people with little knowledge about BP/W seem to be its biggest detractors.
Not me, I was just relating my experiences. At one of the stores, I've only been able to find one person who knows their stuff and he is an instructor, not a store employee. So I'm guessing they don't put forth a lot of effort to sell them, especially since the store staff/instructors are supposed to dive with the current "hot" BC they're selling.
No, simple is a BC without a lot of crap hanging on it you don't need.
But I like all that stuff, including all those D-Rings and extra pockets. Maybe I'll even use them one day... :) Although I do trim better using the weight pockets at the bottom of the tank.
Enjoy your ranger, though It weighs more than a BP/W, and it packs in twice the space if not more. Your Ranger is what is making you wear half the weight you think you need. So lets see. You'd need less lead on the belt, you'd save packing space, and the unit would be lighter than what you have now. Hmmmm...
My Ranger weighs just under 11lbs. What would you estimate a comparable BP/W would weigh for someone my weight, I'm 6'4" and about 275. Also I can fold my Ranger and squeeeeze it into a carryon, can you do that with a BP/W? Or is it too tall or wide with the plate? Just wondering. For me the transport weight is more the issue than the weight I have to carry at the destination as I carry a video setup and travel with one checked bag only.
Things have moved on a bit since then.
I sort of figured they might have....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom