Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Does it bother you at all when non-DIR divers make mean-spirited, unkind, gratuitous comments to DIR divers about their gear or mentality?
I would never say anything unkind about the DIR gear setup, as sometimes I choose to use a DIR compliant rig. Except I do keep my floaty yellow hose :)
Rick

jonnythan:
Don't be so defensive... I wasn't talking about you :wink:
You weren't??? Now I'm all bummed out - thought I had the spotlight and everything...
Rick :D

He was talking about CrisCrash, his favorite cyber diver. :wink:

tedtim:
Sounds like an echo in here (#428)
Ya see? MDB was right ... same stuff, different digression ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

jonnythan:
Then again, I bet JJ has never taken a GUE class :wink:

Actually, I don't think that's true. I believe he is a "student" for instructor training. I could be wrong, but this was my impression.

TwoBitTxn:
To actually answer the original question:

Several reasons:

1) I don't hear about classes advertised in the Dallas area. Isn't there a site I can look at to find about classes? I have no desire to travel for a class.

2) I havn't made the personal committment to spend the cash to further upgrade my gear. I really don't have much to go, but my rig isn't there.

I'm going to read the book first. I'm going to order the book shortly.

TwoBit

I can't help you with the first issue. You can't buy a Ferrari at the Ford dealership and you can't learn to do cave diving in Vermont. Sometimes you have to travel to get what you want (if you really want it).

Item two is all on you. I started with DIR gear from scratch, so I didn't have to buy twice.

Reading the book is a great idea. I wish more people would do that.

CoolTech:
To tell the truth... GUE style instructors are not the style I learn much from based on what many have written here. I enjoy the laid back style where things are enjoyable and the knowledge/training/experience happens.

You want laid back? Take a class with JJ. He's so laid back it's scary. My class was nothing like I thought it would be, and I was happy for that. Probably one of the best classes I've attended as an adult.

TSandM:
Is there a difference between "putting down somebody's training" and maybe pointing out to someone (if they haven't figured it out already) that there are holes in what they were taught? We have lots of threads here about holes in OW training, and many of the critics have nothing to do with GUE or DIR.

Although I don't think you meant it to be this way... here is another example (especially the parenthesis).

The assumption that there are holes in their training, whether they have/have not figured it out already and pointing it out (if advice was not requested) is
arrogant and will often come across the wrong way. An opportunity to improve is lost when the potential student feels/perceives condescension.

Yes, there are lots of threads about holes in OW training here. That is HERE, where people are asking questions and attempting to learn. It is not on a dive sight where advice may not have been wanted. Again, I don't assume that someone wants me to point out the holes in their training. If I feel they are willing/looking for help, I am happy to offer "tips" that will help. But, I would never just start pointing out that they are doing it wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom