Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
or someone who heard about "DIR-like" things and started teaching some of those things?

I understand where you are coming from and what I have to say is not intended as criticism.

IMHO you have to think about, and remember, where DIR came from. Not everyone who was around and involved in developing these "skills", "techniques" and "standards" went to work for GUE.
In fact I can think of one WKPP support diver, who incidentely is a member of this board, who has, afaik, never taken GUE courses.
She also teaches intro to cave and trimix.
In fact there are a few of WKPP members who are instructors with other agencies and not GUE afaik.

mdb:
Seems to be the usual on this never ending discussion. How about just going diving with locals or folks more experienced. Seems to work for lots of divers.

I thought I was bringing levity to the situation. Mission not accomplished? Would it have gone over better with a smiley?:confused:

George Irvine has never taken a GUE course... but he doesn't teach them.

Then again, I bet JJ has never taken a GUE class :wink:

Adobo:
I thought I was bringing levity to the situation. Mission not accomplished? Would it have gone over better with a smiley?:confused:
Levity requires a sense of humor ... and when the topic is related to DIR, too many folks don't have one (which is unfortunate ... we are, after all, talking about a recreational activity) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Adobo:
LOL.. I thought it was funny :D

CoolTech:
I read it the same way. Statements like this only hurt the cause.

To tell the truth... GUE style instructors are not the style I learn much from based on what many have written here. I enjoy the laid back style where things are enjoyable and the knowledge/training/experience happens.

What I am trying to say, and what you have said several times (even on this thread, I think). Fundies is not to everyone's style and taste. But, veiled statements aimed at the "inferior" instruction of those who are not DIR does hurt the advancement of something you appear to love and enjoy very much.

CoolTech: Your post kind of sums it up. I am sure that we will, however; have the usual posts from the usual pundits and zealots that state otherwise. I am no great diver. I've had several great dive instructors with 12-14 courses. A great NAUI instructor was a "pain in the ***" but a terrific Rescue Class teacher. Night Diver and Deep diver with a NASDS teacher was another highlight. BC control, off the North Coast of California was another good "heads up ".

"Dive with those better than you and you will get better."-Lou Fead, NAUI, 1972.

Lou wrote a great book: "Easy Diver"
http://isbndb.com/d/publisher/deepstar_publications.html

NWGratefulDiver:
we are, after all, talking about a recreational activity)
Sounds like an echo in here (#428)

TSandM:
What is really funny is that this thread is now at 28 pages on my count, and about -- maybe -- ten of the responses actually addressed my original question :)
It's all a matter of expectations and environment. Had this been posted in PPD, you'd have been lucky to get two. :eyebrow:

MikeFerrara:
By contrast, many of the divers here have been presented with and have used one single basic configuration. Whether they realize it or not, they weren't given a choice about it either. They haven't evaluated it or tested it against other configurations or anything of the sort. Any diver considering a DIRF is still working on basics. The GUE course not only teaches the basics of diving in general but, specifically, the basics of DIR hence the course name "DIR Fundimentals"
Good point... I sorta forgot the original question/context of the thread, eh?
MikeFerrara:
See the IANTD technical diver encyclopedia...
An essential part of any serious diver's library, despite its screwed up appendices; mine (autographed by TM, by golly!) is pretty dogeared :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom