Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoolTech:
Although I don't think you meant it to be this way... here is another example (especially the parenthesis).

The assumption that there are holes in their training, whether they have/have not figured it out already and pointing it out (if advice was not requested) is
arrogant and will often come across the wrong way. An opportunity to improve is lost when the potential student feels/perceives condescension.

Yes, there are lots of threads about holes in OW training here. That is HERE, where people are asking questions and attempting to learn. It is not on a dive sight where advice may not have been wanted. Again, I don't assume that someone wants me to point out the holes in their training. If I feel they are willing/looking for help, I am happy to offer "tips" that will help. But, I would never just start pointing out that they are doing it wrong.
How often does that really happen? Maybe I'm just lucky to be living in a place where divers, for the most part, don't worry about stuff like that. We'd really rather just go diving.

If I see somebody who I think has "holes" in their training, I'll usually approach 'em like this ... "Would you mind if I gave you some tips on your technique?" They usually say "sure" ... and afterwards "thanks".

Works much better like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CoolTech, where in my post did you get the idea that I was walking up to people at dive sites and criticizing their training? When I talked about pointing out holes in the training, I was talking about either doing it on the internet, or doing it in conversation with people when we are talking about our diving educations, and it's very much an interaction and invited by both parties.

It would appall me to listen to somebody offer uninvited criticism of somebody else's diving, and I would never do that.

NWGratefulDiver:
How often does that really happen? Maybe I'm just lucky to be living in a place where divers, for the most part, don't worry about stuff like that. We'd really rather just go diving.

If I see somebody who I think has "holes" in their training, I'll usually approach 'em like this ... "Would you mind if I gave you some tips on your technique?" They usually say "sure" ... and afterwards "thanks".

Works much better like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I definitely agree!
Most of the time, they are on the boat talking about their issue and are looking to more experienced divers for help.

TSandM:
CoolTech, where in my post did you get the idea that I was walking up to people at dive sites and criticizing their training? When I talked about pointing out holes in the training, I was talking about either doing it on the internet, or doing it in conversation with people when we are talking about our diving educations, and it's very much an interaction and invited by both parties.

It would appall me to listen to somebody offer uninvited criticism of somebody else's diving, and I would never do that.

If you were only writing about those situations, then I must apologize. My earlier post was about dive site/boat diving persons, not Internet or open conversations about diving educations.

I am VERY glad to know that uninvited criticism would appall you. I often go solo on comercial dive boats. Uninvited assistance being passed out to others who didn't want their fun time interupted seems to be on the increase. What's worse is they are often giving incorrect (or, incorrect for the situation) advice.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my orginal post... that I was speaking about dive site/boat situations. Again, I apologize for the mix up.

I'd LOVE to dive . . . But I have to work. Yeucch. The only fun I can have is stirring up discussions on Scubaboard -- oh, I already did that.

TSandM:
I'd LOVE to dive . . . But I have to work. Yeucch. The only fun I can have is stirring up discussions on Scubaboard -- oh, I already did that.
I have to work this week-end too ... I'll be at Cove 2 for about 8 hours today, and again for about 8 hours tomorrow ... :eyebrow:

OK ... so it's diving work ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Great point. In my experience, it only happens on Scubaboard. I've never had it or seen it happen on a boat or beach with divers.

Back
Top Bottom