Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The quality of tech instructors...

My first tech classes were with an instructor who I don't think has ever done a real dive in his life. If he did he would surely die and on most of the training dives he stayed on the dock where he was safe. LOL My second day in doubles, my wifes first dive in double and we did 170 on air with the instructor on the dock! ok, we were stupid too but we didn't know any better than to trust the instructor. My wife later redid the class with another instructor and we both got an education.

With some agencies it's getting easier and easier to become a tech instructor. Oh, you need to have had lots of classes but 25 stage decompression dives? I've seen divers at the quarries doing a bunch of 131 ft bounce dives to qualify.

By all means, pick an instructor with real and ongiong experience. Having the card alone isn't enough and that goes double for instructors and triple for tech instructors.

TheRedHead:
You wanted a reason why people aren't taking training through GUE even though they are interested, and I gave you one.
Actually, she asked those people who have said they wanted to take DIR-F but haven't, why they haven't.

Judging from the demographic of the typical DIR-F class, the vast majority of the people she would be addressing that particular question to will never have the need, nor the desire, for technical training ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TheRedHead:
Lynne, there are many excellent tech instructors from all the tech agencies doing big diving and training good divers. What he really said is:

"Let's face it, who do I want teaching my class. Someone who has been in a cave for 400 minutes at 275 feet, or penetrated wrecks at 70+metres, etc. etc. and has gone throught eh GUE instructor training and regularly does such exploration dives (and here I also include the 5thd-x guys as I think they are easily on a par with the GUE instructors)

or someone who heard about "DIR-like" things and started teaching some of those things?"

and that's rather presumptuious, and if you say things in that way, people aren't going to have warm, fuzzy feelings and flock to your oganization.

If you relate your positive experiences without making implications about other training, people will be more receptive.

You wanted a reason why people aren't taking training through GUE even though they are interested, and I gave you one.
I read it the same way. Statements like this only hurt the cause.

I have been diving for 20+ years & have seen many things, both good and bad. It is not my position to lecture people on their enjoyment of diving. Sometimes I may ask if they would "... like a "tip" that has helped me?" But, I try not to assume that everyone will get more enjoyment from my style of diving.

To tell the truth... GUE style instructors are not the style I learn much from based on what many have written here. I enjoy the laid back style where things are enjoyable and the knowledge/training/experience happens.

When I went through I.T. we found puddles to dive into and practice our teaching skills. In Central Fl., that often meant sink holes that had opened up recently. I really enjoyed my I.T. instructor doing that. It opened up an area of information that I would not have thought about prior to that time.

What I am trying to say, and what you have said several times (even on this thread, I think). Fundies is not to everyone's style and taste. But, veiled statements aimed at the "inferior" instruction of those who are not DIR does hurt the advancement of something you appear to love and enjoy very much.

What is really funny is that this thread is now at 28 pages on my count, and about -- maybe -- ten of the responses actually addressed my original question :)

I don't think anybody has ever heard me make veiled statements aimed at the "inferior" instruction of those who are not DIR. I've made some open statements about inferior instruction when I've talked about the poor skills I had at the beginning. Veiled statements are usually well beyond my ability to control my tongue . . . Anyway, there are fabulous instructors out there who don't teach for GUE. Bob's one, for example. I suspect Mike Ferrara was, when he was teaching. The instructor Snowbear works with up in Alaska seems to be superb as well. There are very fine non-GUE instructors. There are also bad ones, as you can read in any number of threads here.

As far as I know, from personal experience or reading reports of classes, there are NO bad instructors who do teach for GUE. I think that's pretty cool. Through whatever combination of recruitment and training, GUE's doing a good job of putting a quality instructor cadre out there. They aren't by any means the only good instructors in the scuba world, but you appear to be able to be pretty sure that, if you take Fundes, you'll have a good teacher for it.

It morphed into technical diving, but the point remains that you can't put down other people's training - even if it is PADI OW - and have them be receptive to you.

Is there a difference between "putting down somebody's training" and maybe pointing out to someone (if they haven't figured it out already) that there are holes in what they were taught? We have lots of threads here about holes in OW training, and many of the critics have nothing to do with GUE or DIR.

TheRedHead:
Are you saying that you sat in on a DIR Fundies classroom and didn't like it?
not at all, I really enjoyed the instruction style, but I feel what the class offers and what I need are not a good enough match to justify the cost(if it were $100, the video tapeing would do me some good), but for now, diving with experainced buddies would be a better use of time.

I think you can talk about inadequate dive training in general and talk about personal experience with superior training, but when you talk to a person specifically about their training and combine that with your superior training, then you will probably run into problems. That's just human nature!

Adobo:
Yeah well, my instructor can beat up your instructor.

Seems to be the usual on this never ending discussion. How about just going diving with locals or folks more experienced. Seems to work for lots of divers.

To actually answer the original question:

Several reasons:

1) I don't hear about classes advertised in the Dallas area. Isn't there a site I can look at to find about classes? I have no desire to travel for a class.

2) I havn't made the personal committment to spend the cash to further upgrade my gear. I really don't have much to go, but my rig isn't there.

I'm going to read the book first. I'm going to order the book shortly.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom