Why not come to South Korea for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uwpro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Come on over to South Korea - Jeju Island has the best diving
in Korea from cave diving to wreck diving and all in between!

We have more diving points around this island than you can shake a
stick at!! You'll have a blast here...

Summer 27C plus water temp
Vis over 30m
All diving types, incl. techie stuff
Fantastic array of subtropical to tropical
species of underwater life!
You wont find a better collection of
soft colorful coral anywhere else!!!

Come on over, I'd love to meet you!

uwpro

Attachments

• divepoint2.GIF
    divepoint2.GIF
    30.2 KB · Views: 105
  • me_underwater.jpg
    me_underwater.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 81
  • fullface.jpg
    fullface.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 85
can you tell us a little more about logistics? That is, where is Jeju Island in relation to the major airports. How far, how long from Seoul for example .....

Welcome to SB!

Since you are in South Korea, perhaps you can tell me whether exotic algae from the US West Coast are invading Korean waters? I'm well aware of the effects of trans-Pacific trade in introducing a number of Asian algae to our waters, and am sure the equivalent situation must be occuring over there. I'm a scientist, so this is a real point of interest to me.

I'd love to go back for a visit! Sam, I was stationed there in '78-'79 and again in '85-86. South Korea has rebounded from the war in a big way. It's a gorgeous country! That said, I doubt I would make a special trip for the diving. But I would visit Jeju for a couple of dives.

Phil

I can attest that in1980 the diving off Jeju Island was spectacular. Some of the best in my life. And a fascinating culture, remote from modernized Seoul – hopefully things have not gotten too commercialized since then.

For hundreds of years the female Jeju Haenyo divers, hardier than Japanese Ama divers, supported their families by what they caught while free diving. The culture on Jeju stayed unique because jet service had only started in 1979. Before, it was a multi-hour ferry ride AFTER a long train ride from Seoul.

I was traveling all over Korea for a month making an in-flight promotional travelogue for Braniff airlines, but the Jeju excursion was on my own time, sans film gear and crew. Before I left Los Angeles, I researched diving in Korea via LA based Korean divers / instructors, and went loaded for bear with a letter of introduction written in Korean. I flew down from Seoul with an American missionary I had met who wanted to learn to dive, in exchange for his translation services and guidance. As it turned out Braniff went bankrupt 2 weeks later!

Back then the main honcho dive operator on the south side of Jeju owned gorgeous new compressors, hundreds of new tanks and shiny new boats, all to keep his discerning Japanese customers happy. They had no room for a Gringo, so he set me up with some kids who borrowed one of their dad’s 30-foot “glub-glub-glub” diesels for 3 days of shore-based boat dives on south Jeju. Nobody knows the hot spots like local fishermen! I have rarely been surrounded by such intense biomass on practically every dive. You need a 7 mm suit, kelp not as thick as California, and fantastic volcanic underwater forms / swim-thrus. One shallow dive was in the middle of a football-field-size volcanic bowl, packed with thousands and thousands of Trevallies. All the while the volcanic structure caused intense crackling sound – felt like diving in a bowl of Rice Krispies.

Speaking no Korean, communication was mostly hand-signs. Of course I love kelp and don’t mind cold-ish water, being from So-California. The visibility was superior to typical channel-island diving. Beaches were picturesque black lava or white sand with intense turquoise shallows.

thanks for the positive note.
if you ever come this way,
we'll make sure you have a
great time both in and out of the water!!!

jeju island is 75minutes flight due south from seoul.

it'll cost 75,000 Won or about 70 bucks.

once on the island, the bus system and the cheap taxi system are fine to ghget around, but most people rent a car....

diving for the day ie. two tanks including the boat will run about $100....
includes a meal and drinks....

there's no doubt you'll have a great time.

for the past three years there's been a marked increase in diver's coming to island from china, japan, russia, and foreigners living on mainland south korea....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom