Trip Report Jeju Dive Trip (July 12-20, 2022)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_divo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just dived Jeju from the July 12 through 20, 2022. Visibility was moderate (5-8m) and temps ranged from 19C at 30m depth to 25C on shallower dives. Once again, I was impressed with the safety procedures and helpfulness of operators/staff during briefings and while getting on/off boats.

Log books: Once again, Korean dive centers don't really rely on paper dive logs. Their preferred approach is 'check diving' where they take you out somewhere simple at first and evaluate how you dive. Once they get a read on you, they will take you on more challenging dives if they feel that is appropriate. They were happy to sign and stamp my log book, but most of the Korean divers I dived with were surprised to see one. Most admitted to just downloading their computer data to a digital log. The dive center did of course ask me to send them screen caps of my relevant eCards during the original reservation phase so they could pre-check my certs.

NB: Big Blue 33 has a website advertising services in English and is a NAUI center; however, as I was trying to complete a PADI Deep Specialty, I choose to go with Jeju Scuba School, a PADI dive center. Unfortunately, they are not set up for English. I completed my specialty through English eLearning and Korean supervised dives. This worked really well for me. That being said, much of the info here probably overlaps with other dive operators in Jeju and it seems like there is one on just about every street corner down near the harbors these days. We frequently shared boats with other groups, some of which were speaking English.

The main dive sites are outlined on the map below. Obviously, there are the three islands that all have multiple sites around them. However, there are also some artificial reefs closer to the harbors and shallow coastal areas used for OW training. There were three main harbors the dive operators use, one associated with each island. Once again there was a symbiotic relationship between dive operators and boat operators. Dive operators chose their island based on offering diving variety and weather conditions; boat operators provided up to the minute data on visibility, currents, and other factors once we arrived on site. Dive briefings were often shared by the dive operator explaining the basics of the dive and the boat operator adding any current safety issues (currents, other factors to watch out for, any special sightings recently). We dived many of the sites, unfortunately, I rarely knew precisely where we were other than which island we were at, so I can't really comment on individual sites. The general fun diving plan seemed to be two morning dives at one site, back the the center for lunch, then out to a different island for an afternoon dive.

Many of the dives were rock wall coming down from the islands, some valley/canyon dives, some flat rocky areas a bit further out from the islands. There were also one drift dive because conditions were right, but it was very much dependent on time of day and weather conditions. Sadly, the artificial reef dive (sidemount pic above) was aborted 15 min. in because an inexperienced diver started to panic. We all ascended safely, but I missed my chance to see the big sleeping lobster!

IMG_1006.JPG

Most harbors had some sort of office for the boat operators to operate out of and at least a small shaded area for divers between dives (usually a tarped area or a gazebo tent). All the boats we used had lifts and either big step entrance or back roll entry depending on the individual boat.
PARA0062.JPG
PARA0020 (2).JPG

Flora and fauna were a mix of what you find on the East Coast of South Korea with some more tropical species.
PARA0020.jpg

PARA0145.JPG

PARA0063.JPG

Even saw a small ray!
PARA0009 2.JPG

The area around Seobseom had a lot of banded boxer shrimp.
PARA0031.JPG 18-28-12-628.JPG

There were quite a few lion fish.
PARA0111.JPG

PARA0151.JPG

The artificial reefs were the concrete cube type, and I even got to try sidemount on a few dives related to the deep specialty!
1658309321.557631.JPG

PARA0053.JPG

IMG_1038.jpg

There were tales of octopus and lobster(!), but sadly those were mostly nocturnal and we never saw any during my dives there. Night dives were available but didn't fit my training schedule. I guess my one pet peeve with diving Korea so far is that Koreans seem to really like to interact with underwater lifeforms: prodding sleeping octopuses or rays, etc. I could do without that.

On the plus side, we saw a pair of dolphins!

Once again, I shall try to link video footage as I go through it.

Nice review. Sounds like there is a lot of dive activity there. Do most of the divers live on Jeju, or are they coming from the main land? How many divers were on your boat?
Your pictures show some nice sea life, which is always fun. I’m going to show my ignorance, but are the lobsters there larger than most?
Thanks for sharing the review and photos,

Erik

I just dived Jeju from the July 12 through 20, 2022. Visibility was moderate (5-8m) and temps ranged from 19C at 30m depth to 25C on shallower dives. Once again, I was impressed with the safety procedures and helpfulness of operators/staff during briefings and while getting on/off boats.
Great report.
19 - 25C!!!
Far too cold for me.

Nice review. Sounds like there is a lot of dive activity there. Do most of the divers live on Jeju, or are they coming from the main land? How many divers were on your boat?
Your pictures show some nice sea life, which is always fun. I’m going to show my ignorance, but are the lobsters there larger than most?
Thanks for sharing the review and photos,

Erik
Jeju is the semi-tropical island off the southern coast of South Korea. As such, it has been developed into a honeymoon and tourism destination. Many of the divers were from the mainland because the East Sea at this point is still quite cold (down to 9C a couple weeks ago at depth). I also bumped into a guy from Denmark and overheard some Chinese dive groups. It’s mostly a regional tourism destination.

Over the course of the week team sizes varied. There were pretty much OW courses or pool sessions going on every day, but I was fun diving most of the time so got paired with more advanced divers. Most days had several teams going out from the dive center I was with to separate locations based on experience level. The drift dive was just me and an instructor, but there were times we dived in teams as large as 6 or 7. I think the most on any boat was about 10 when we shared the boat with other dive groups. I think the largest boat could probably comfortable hold 12 divers and gear. Much more than that and people would be interfering with each other.

Re lobsters: the guy made it out to be huge, but, as with any story of sea life one hasn’t personally seen, I maintain a healthy dose of skepticism. I've never actually seen one while diving.

Jeju is the semi-tropical island off the southern coast of South Korea. As such, it has been developed into a honeymoon and tourism destination. Many of the divers were from the mainland because the East Sea at this point is still quite cold (down to 9C a couple weeks ago at depth). I also bumped into a guy from Denmark and overheard some Chinese dive groups. It’s mostly a regional tourism destination.

Over the course of the week team sizes varied. There were pretty much OW courses or pool sessions going on every day, but I was fun diving most of the time so got paired with more advanced divers. Most days had several teams going out from the dive center I was with to separate locations based on experience level. The drift dive was just me and an instructor, but there were times we dived in teams as large as 6 or 7. I think the most on any boat was about 10 when we shared the boat with other dive groups. I think the largest boat could probably comfortable hold 12 divers and gear. Much more than that and people would be interfering with each other.

Re lobsters: the guy made it out to be huge, but, as with any story of sea life one hasn’t personally seen, I maintain a healthy dose of scepticism. I never actually seen one while diving.
Thanks for the info. I doubt I’ll ever be in South Korea, but if I am this seems like a good place to go.
As for lobsters, let me know if you’re every in the New England area and I’ll take you looking for lobsters. They are pretty much a given on most dives here. That being said, they are still cool to see!

Thanks for the info. I doubt I’ll ever be in South Korea, but if I am this seems like a good place to go.
As for lobsters, let me know if you’re every in the New England area and I’ll take you looking for lobsters. They are pretty much a given on most dives here. That being said, they are still cool to see!
Yeah, Jeju definitely has the largest concentration of diving in South Korea. Three ports with multiple boats running at the same time from each, also more deluxe options like boats for private charter (I saw a catamaran advertising deluxe diving services) while out on dives. Generally, on dives there were 2-4 boats around. DSMBs at the safety stop were the norm. Boat captains seemed to handle this really well.

The East Coast has mostly small ports with one or two boats run by a single operator with a limited number of sites to dive from that location. There are however quite a few of these 'dive resorts' and you could move your way down the coast if you wanted to. They have been setting up a lot of dive parks along the East Coast with artificial reefs, scuttled boats, underwater statues, military surplus (there's a place with a tank and some APCs), etc. to keep things interesting. The East Sea has a lot of sandy sea floor, so they are trying to generate tourism by creating interesting dive sites. Then the sea life moves in. Seems to be working for them. Diving has really taken off in SK over the past 15 years or so. Here's an example of all the 'dive resorts' just along the top part of the East Coast.
mosaqWdZ9F.jpeg

Update on dive log handling in Korea: While exploring another dive opportunity with a Korean group, I was asked about my dive history. Using the knowledge above, I just grabbed two screen caps from my digital dive log showing the dive #s and some basic info. It included approximately my last 15 dives and another screen cap of experience at a specific location with similar environmental factors to the dive being discussed. The instructor was satisfied with this. Mostly, instr. wanted to see that I had significant local, cold water, low visibility, Korean diving experience. Instructor indicated that the team could forgo check diving and I could join the dive. :thanks:

I should probably say thank you to all the true sidemount divers out there for not completely trashing the enthusiastic newb for his improper configuration :argue:.

Rather than proper sidemount technique, I guess I really just used a second tank in an awkward configuration 🤣. I am intrigued by it though. I may pursue proper sidemount training in the future. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom