Why not BP/W for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I have read, there is alot to be said for a BP/W setup. It appeals to me partly because of simplicity, and because I can see the benefits of being able to maintain a horizontal attitude. My experiences with a jacket style BC have resulted with me finning to remain close to level.

Don't believe everything you read. Try one first. Just because lots of other people freely extoll the virtues of BP/W, doesn't mean it will be perfect for you. Finning to keep position can be due to less than perfect buoyancy control and poor weight distribution too. A BP/W will not necessarily solve all your problems.

There is one thing that hasn't been mentioned here. A jacket style BC wraps around your body and while learning to maintain proper buoyancy, you can feel the constriction on your body as your BC inflates. I think there is some value there in the learning curve but in the long run a back inflated BC will suit your needs better. It could also be pointed out that dumping air from a wing has it's own learning curve.

Bruce

There is one thing that hasn't been mentioned here. A jacket style BC wraps around your body and while learning to maintain proper buoyancy, you can feel the constriction on your body as your BC inflates. I think there is some value there in the learning curve but in the long run a back inflated BC will suit your needs better. It could also be pointed out that dumping air from a wing has it's own learning curve.

Bruce

It's inconceivable to me that someone would inflate a jacket style BC enough to feel a constriction while diving; that's ALOT of air. And if so, how could that be of any possible value? On the surface I can understand that, but not underwater. And the idea that "dumping air from a wing has it's own learning curve" is misleading. That's like saying putting on a mask has it's own learning curve. You dump air from a jacket BC and a wing in exactly the same way. I suppose you could be referring to an oversize horseshoe wing on a single tank, with the wing "taco" effect forcing the diver to move around a little to get all the air out, but that's a problem with the wing choice. Plenty of jacket BCs are hard to fully vent.

One reason that most beginning divers are put in jacket BCs is that they are designed like life jackets, and that appeals to many beginning divers. OW classes spend a lot of time at the surface, and a lot of beginning divers have surface problems; that's why PADI is so insistent about ditchable weights.

The problem with this thinking is that what works on the surface (a life jacket) is not what works best underwater. You have to decide if you're going to configure your gear to work it's best when you're diving or when you're floating, or how it fits in your luggage. (another topic)

BP/W set ups will also float you at the surface just fine, but they don't provide the excessive wrap-around sensation of being lifted out of the water.

The jacket style also provides a little flotation towards the front of the rig which tends to help the diver remain upright on the surface.

It's important to differentiate between the jacket style BCD and the back inflation BCD because the back inflation device has many of the benefits of the BP/W at a MUCH lower price. At least when you buy 'packages'.

You can get a ScubaPro or Oceanic back inflation BCD with an AIR II type octopus, nitrox capable computer and decent regulator for somewhere under $1100 for Oceanic and $1000 for ScubaPro ($545 less than the individual componets bought separately). It's a little hard to compete with this price point when a BP/W with minimalist harness is around $450 and at least the BCD will have ditchable weight pockets for some/most of the ballast (depending on warm vs cold water diving) included in the base price.

I am in the process of replacing my 20 year old Oceanic ADVi jacket style BCD with a DSS BP/W (it arrives tomorrow!). That jacket has served me well, particularly in warm water diving. But, it's time to move on.

My son-in-law got certified last week and we're in the same buying situation. The price of the complete 'package' is so compelling it is hard to justify buying the rig in bits and pieces. It would be nice to buy the best of everything but the total cost gets a little out of hand.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the back inflation BCDs. Individually, they are pretty expensive and compare favorably to the BP/W but when purchased in a 'package', the total price could be attractive.

Still thinking about it...

Richard

My wife and I did our pool sessions in the rental BC's and then used BP/Ws for the open water sessions. We were not much fans of the traditional jacket BCs. The constriction feeling on the surface is miserable, they never fit exactly right, and the weight of the tanks is pressing in on your spine. Check out the BP/W, and if you like it and your shop is discouraging you from them, find a better shop.

The only issue I see is if you will be travelling for a lot of your diving and will not be taking your BP/W. Then you will be using jackets from the rental fleet. Why then buy a BP/W?

Actually, the solution is to make sure you bring it!
Considering that a backplate/wing can be made to fit into a smaller place than a jacket, I'd say they are easier to bring and pack for a trip.

A jacket style BC wraps around your body and while learning to maintain proper buoyancy, you can feel the constriction on your body as your BC inflates. I think there is some value there in the learning curve...
Learning to "feel the constriction" is useless for buoyancy control, as the amount in your BC will change over the course of the dive or with differing conditions and equipment usage. Learning to watch your surroundings and feel if you are ascending or descending in the water column is much more important.

The jacket style also provides a little flotation towards the front of the rig which tends to help the diver remain upright on the surface.
I have never, ever had issues "remaining upright" in a backplate/wing setup at the surface. In fact, no one I've ever been diving with using a backplate/wing has ever had issues with it. It's just a ridiculous rumor.

I just switched from a Jacket Style to a BP/W after 5-years. This was after reading ever thread there was on the issue and finding a LDS that sells them. The difference is amazing. Why did I buy a jacket in the first place? Because I didn't know any better and that is what the LDS I certified with sold.

As someone else suggested earlier in the thread, they are not for everyone so try one out first. If your LDS does not sell them do yourself a big favour and find a LDS that does and try one out. They are different and take some setting up so don't be discouraged if it does not seem "perfect" at first. If you can do it in a pool, all the better.

Good luck.

I did my OW with a rental BCD, AOW with a borrowed back inflate (genesis recon- HUGE bladder) and then went out and bought my own DSS BP/W and I've never looked back. Much more streamlined, never had any problems with being pushed forward at the surface either. Go for it!

i did pool sessions in a jacket style back inflate and hated it, and have been doing OW dives in a BP/W and love it. There is no way when I am ready to buy that I will be shopping for a jacket.

There is absolutely no reason a new diver cannot use a BP/W. Many students are taught from the start in this configuration. That being said, before you purchase your BCD, try out several styles in the pool first. If possible, try a BP/W, Back Inflation BCD (like Dive Rite, Hollis, Zeagle etc) and a traditional jacket style. See which works best for YOU!. Remember the BP/W has to be set up correctly for you to achieve maximum benefit, so it may take a few sessions. Also, make sure it is compatible with the types of diving you want to get into. If going technical, then a BP/W is generally the best bet - although many use the Dive Rite Transpac.
Try them out and let us know what YOU decide.
Safe and Fun Diving,
George

Back
Top Bottom