Why no audible alarm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's great that all of you have your own opinions on the subject but I didn't ask for anyone's opinion. It wasn't a hypothetical question up for discussion. I'm asking for facts. If I wanted to hear immature, condescending insecurities, I would have turned on Jerry Springer. If you don't have the actual answer from Shearwater stay off my thread, please.
I have not seen this specific question addressed by Shearwater, but their design philosophy is well known and I've had a few conversations about their philosophy as it relates to other functions and features.

1) Simple is better, if the feature is not there it can't fail and it thus poses no risk of screwing up the more important computer functions - like providing you with reliable decompression information.

2) Shearwater does not believe in having the computer do or decide anything for the diver - it just conveys information to the diver and lets them make the decisions. For example if you end your dive on 100% O2, the computer obviously *knows* when you surfaced and after the surface interval it could *assume* you are starting dive 2, but it will not automatically switch the active gas from your deco gas to your back gas. It leaves that responsibility and control in your hands where it belongs.

In this regard audible alarms just add more complexity to provide dubious benefit to a diver who should be situationally aware enough not to need the alarm. If you do push the limits and do something that violates PO2, ceilings, etc, it will flash a warning and ask you to confirm it, but it won't lock you out of subsequent dives, tell you you can't do that or give you the finger and stop showing you deco information. That is again the way it should be per their philosophy.

Diver who like that philosophy buy Shearwaters, if you don't like their philosophy, buy something else.

It's great that all of you have your own opinions on the subject but I didn't ask for anyone's opinion. It wasn't a hypothetical question up for discussion. I'm asking for facts. If I wanted to hear immature, condescending insecurities, I would have turned on Jerry Springer. If you don't have the actual answer from Shearwater stay off my thread, please.

Deduction, and inference, as skills would do you some good here. In ~20 replies, you've seen that in an audience where folks actually own one or more of these machines the overwhelming answer is that those people who are actually customers do not want or need this functionality. Or do you think there's another reason at play?

And what's with the implied ownership of a topic? If you wanted an answer from Shearwater, perhaps a public forum is the wrong place for you? Did you ask your local dealer? Did you email the company? Call them? Pursue any of the logical routes to get information from the horse's mouth? If you're not open to hearing peoples' opinions, perhaps keeping your threads off our forums would be in order?

If you are looking for a response from Shearwater only, and no responses/opinions from Predator users, I would suggest contacting Shearwater directly rather than posting in a public forum.

If you are looking for a response from Shearwater only, and no responses/opinions from Predator users, I would suggest contacting Shearwater directly rather than posting in a public forum.
But feel free to tell us what they said... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom