• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Why no audible alarm?

Discussion in 'Shearwater Research' started by KellyAsh, Jul 23, 2012.

1. BabyDuck

BabyDuck Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    because nobody who wants a shearwater wants audible alarms. end of story.

2. ianr33

ianr33 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Because it's designed for people that know what they are doing.

If you want something with alarms and digital compasses and air integration and heart rate monitors buy some wannabee rec computer in whatever color is trendy this year.

If you want a computer that can be used on dives you can only dream of get a Shearwater.

As Babyduck said: End of Story

Jax likes this.
  3. supergaijin

supergaijin Dive Shop

I own a Suunto Gecko and it rarely, if ever, beeps at me.
    I have been in the water with certain other brands of computer- particularly the Scubapro watch-style loved by Japanese that sounds off if you raise your hand to scratch your ear. Horrible design.

But it sounds like buying the Shearwater is the equivalent of buying a street racing bike and wondering why it doesn't come with an airbag.

4. Scott L

Scott L Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Perhaps the OP's diving partners can bang on his cylinders with the butt of a knife when warning lights appear. Tank banging, the only known noise to be more annoying then that which is emitted from recreational computers. :wink:

BabyDuck likes this.
  5. parzdiver

parzdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have to disagree, those inflator hose noise makers that quack underwater are the WORST.

scubadiver888 and Scott L like this.
  6. supergaijin

supergaijin Dive Shop

Shakers are my personal peeve- oooooooooh a lion fish... shkkr skkr, oooooooo a moray......shkkkr shkkkkr, oooooooooh another moray..........shkkrr shkkkkkkkr shkkkr.

Scott L likes this.
  7. tstormdiver

tstormdiver Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    The Shearwater assumes the diver is a big boy/ girl & knows how to plan & execute their own dives (including paying attention to gauges & computers). It is designed as an advanced computer for more advanced divers.

8. mathauck0814

mathauck0814 Assistant Instructor

Shearwater wasn't produced for typical recreational diver that needs to be reminded to look at their instruments. End of story.

9. KellyAsh

KellyAsh IDC Staff Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    It's great that all of you have your own opinions on the subject but I didn't ask for anyone's opinion. It wasn't a hypothetical question up for discussion. I'm asking for facts. If I wanted to hear immature, condescending insecurities, I would have turned on Jerry Springer. If you don't have the actual answer from Shearwater stay off my thread, please.

10. eeel

eeel Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Kelly,

I do not work for or represent Shearwater Research in any way, but I do know Bruce fairly well. I strongly suspect the answer to your question is that Bruce did the market research and determined that the audible alarm was a feature that was not wanted by his targeted customers.

Mark

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012