Why no audible alarm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KellyAsh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm sure there is a reason but I have no idea. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Ummmm, what? Audible alarm for what?

useless without info on what it is you are talking about

My assumption (I know, bad word) is the OP is asking for an audible alarm that if anything were to "go red" on the computer, it would also beep.

My assumption (that bad word again) is that Shearwater designed the computer with the technical diver in mind. Generally (another bad word), a technical diver will have the experience and skills to plan the dive and dive the plan, knowing their time, PO2 and other factors that could cause issues. Also, a technical diver will check their gauges and computer regularly, especially during changes in depth and will see the "red" indicators.

^^^What Parzdiver said. I suffered through computers that reset the nitrox settings at midnight because that piece of gear thought it was smarter than me. Then I suffered through alarms because the computer thought it was smarter than me. Now, I have a Shearwater, because if I choose to violate some arbitrary ascent rate set by the manufacturer, I want it to recalculate my deco, not nag at me. I promise, when I'm on a deco stop, I'm paying enough attention to my depth, time remaining, gas, and all of the other things I need to do to get out safely, I don't need any nagging. Want to be nagged? Buy a Cochran. Those things will beep you to death.

Want to be nagged? Buy a Cochran. Those things will beep you to death.

I currently have a Shearwater and a Cochran. You are correct, it beeps whenever you do something it doesn't like and you cannot change anything mid dive (on the Cochran).

Some mfgrs believe good divers remain awake and aware while they dive. Were you planning on napping?

Reactions: Jax
The first thing I did on any computer I've ever owned was to shut off any audible alarms.

The other 2 computers I routinely used to dive with (A Suunto Stinger and a Uwatec SmartPro) beep and you can't shut them off. My audible module on my Stinger went bad some years ago and when I have the battery replaced I warn the technician not to fix the audible. I leave the Uwatec on the boat because the beeping makes me insane.

The Shearwater was such a relief after those other 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom