Why new masks have a special layer on the glass that needs to be cleaned off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I never understood why new masks have some specific layer of goo that is so hard to clean off. Well, harder than it should be, in principle. What is a purpose of that goo layer that manufacturers feel like to bestow upon all divers?

PS: Hope it has a good explanation.

Mold release compound from the frame. A good subject for Myth Busters...

What I understand it is a thin layer of silicone from the manufacturing process, although I don't think they "cast" the mask with the glass in it... who knows? It's not really a new phenomenon... just since they started making masks out of silicone.

I think it's the result of the 'offgassing' of volatile chemicals after manufacture.
A bit like the haze that develops on a car windscreen after using silicone polish on a dashboard and leaving the car on a hot day.

I like the propane flame trick to remove it - though none of my masks have any fancy coatings, they're just basic tempered glass lenses.
Here's a video showing how. --> [video=youtube_share;AxkqJqM6UTA]http://youtu.be/AxkqJqM6UTA[/video]

NOTE: Taking a flame your mask probably voids the warranty, please don't blame me if you wreck your mask by overdoing the flame. Also I wouldn't reccomend this with masks that have special coated lenses, the heat will not be kind to the coatings.

Last edited:
They could remove it at the factory, but they like to piss us off!!

They probably just don't want to pay for increase in manufacturing cost to remove it.

I think it's the result of the 'offgassing' of volatile chemicals after manufacture.
A bit like the haze that develops on a car windscreen after using silicone polish on a dashboard and leaving the car on a hot day.

I like the propane flame trick to remove it - though none of my masks have any fancy coatings, they're just basic tempered glass lenses.

NOTE: Taking a flame your mask probably voids the warranty, please don't blame me if you wreck your mask by overdoing the flame. Also I wouldn't reccomend this with masks that have special coated lenses, the heat will not be kind to the coatings.

We also recommend the flame method for our masks. It will not void our warranty, you don't want to go crazy with the flame..

[video=youtube_share;TxywBgSkBe4]http://youtu.be/TxywBgSkBe4?list=UUMZAzA03fsCFUNB7JPTEblQ[/video]

Or the old-fashioned way, you can pour some Comet or Ajax inside the mask, put a couple of drops of water to make a thick paste, and rub it all around the tempered glass for a bit. It might take a couple of times to get that film off all the areas.

I never found that toothpaste worked.

I think the thread is getting a bit off topic. The question is why, not how.

From my understanding (although I'm quite happy to admit I may be wrong) the layer/film is applied to stop the glass from shattering in the cutting process. I've also been told (by manufacturer reps/sales type folks) it stops the masks from oxidizing when sitting in storage/on display. I guess the more science familiar buffs on here may be able to confirm or deny either of these theories!

Back
Top Bottom